The 100 Best Crochet Patterns, Knitting Patterns, and Crafts of 2017
These easy DIY projects are wonderful inspiration for the knitter and crocheter!
We are adding the craft to your Craft Projects.
The project was added to your Craft Projects.
The best crochet patterns, knitting patterns, and crafts are at your fingertips! Voted on by readers like you, these are the 100 most popular crafts of 2017.
These most popular projects are the most-loved projects from our email newsletters, from folks coming to our site by searching the internet, and from social media posts on Facebook and Pinterest.
Many of these projects have stood the test of time. Patterns like the Bavarian Rainbow Afghan, Grandma's Knitted Slippers, and the Foolproof Afghan are popular year after year. If you haven't given them a try by now, it's about time you did!
Meanwhile, we have some new favorites this year that you'll love exploring below.
Get ready with those crafty New Year's Resolutions and make something wonderful in 2018.
Table of Contents
- Best Crochet Afghan Patterns
- Free Women's Crochet Patterns
- Crochet Patterns for Baby
- Kitchen Crochet Patterns
- Crochet Hats, Slippers, and More Accessories
- More of Our Best Crochet Patterns
- Knitting Clothes
- Knit Slippers and More Accessories
- Knit Afghans
- Free Knit Dishcloth Patterns
- Tie Dye and Other Craft Projects
- The Best Craft Ideas of Yesteryear!
Best Crochet Afghan Patterns
It's no secret that the best crochet patterns of 2017 are afghans! We have an overwhelming quantity of free afghan patterns that made the top of our list this year. In fact, in this entire collection you'll find 38 knit and crocheted afghans and baby blankets! That's crazy! Almost 40% of this collection is blankets.
Since blankets are so wildly popular to make, you should probably browse this collection and get started on an afghan if you haven't made one already. They're the perfect project for staying warm for the remaining winter months!
- Andante Crochet Throw
- Aran Crochet Throw
- Arrow Stitch Crochet Afghan
- Basketweave Twists Afghan
- Bavarian Rainbow Afghan
- Crochet Corner To Corner Throw
- Crochet Granny Afghan
- Crochet Ripple Afghan Pattern
- Easy Afghan for Him
- Easy Crochet Diamonds Throw
- Hand Crochet Chunky Blanket
- How to Crochet a Bavarian Square
- Lavender Lace Throw
- Lavender Shell Afghan
- Millionaire's Afghan
- Red Crochet Afghan
- Ripple Afghan Crochet Pattern
- Stashbuster Granny Stripe Afghan
- Under 6 Hours Crochet Throw Pattern
- Updated Amish Bars Throw
- Weekend-Wonder Giant Granny Square Throw
- Butterfly Wings Free Crochet Afghan Pattern
- Foolproof Afghan Pattern
- Two Color Easy Afghan Crochet Pattern
Free Women's Crochet Patterns
Another very popular item to make in 2017 was crocheted clothes! From sweaters to ponchos to ruanas and shawls, these beautiful free crochet clothes patterns are just the thing to make to stay warm all year. Some of these patterns are beautiful accessories, and others are wonderful shirts and sweaters to cozy up in. It's wonderful to make your own clothes. There's so much excitement in telling friends that no, this sweater isn't store bought---I made it!
- Light Crochet Shoulder Shrug
- Casual Chunky Sweatshirt
- Cool Summer Hoodie
- Easy Crochet Pullover Sweater Pattern
- Fancy Retro Top
- Deep V Flourish Sweater Jacket
- Glamorous Spring Crochet Ruana Pattern
- Goddess Shawl
- Lightweight Zen Jacket
- Open Pattern Poncho
- Pineapple Lace Shawl Crochet Pattern
- Purple Beginner Shawl
- Sage One Skein Wrap
- Simply Savvy Crochet Ruana Pattern
- Simple One Skein Wrap
Crochet Patterns for Baby
Is there anything more rewarding than making clothes, blankets, and toys for baby? Crochet baby blankets are some of my favorite projects to make. They're a smaller commitment than a full afghan, and parents of young babies need tons of blankets! Baby blankets get dirty in a hurry, so it's good to have a lot of them. Make any of the darling baby projects below for an upcoming baby shower gift or baby's first birthday.
- Cupcake Afghan
- Baby's First Crochet Blanket Pattern
- Beautiful Crochet Baby Blanket
- Bumpy Baby Blanket
- Duchess Baby Blanket
- Easy One Ball Crochet Baby Blanket and Hat Set
- Elsa's Frozen Inspired Afghan
- Little Prince Afghan
- Natural Baby Blanket
- The Coziest Crocheted Baby Blanket Ever
- Baby Pumpkin Crochet Beanie Pattern
- Cozy Soft Baby Cocoon and Hat
- Gorgeous Crochet Baby Bonnet
Kitchen Crochet Patterns
The best way to learn to crochet is by making a basic dishcloth. Crochet dishcloth patterns are great because they work up SO quickly and you can never have too many! They make great small gifts around the holidays because you can choose yarn in festive colors. Find more great kitchen crochet patterns below, like the mop or sweeper cover that you can reuse again and again, or the lovely crocheted doilies!
Find more of our favorite kitchen crochet patterns in this collection of 23 Free Crochet Dishcloth Patterns for Beginners
Crochet Hats, Slippers, and More Accessories
Crochet accessories are one of the most popular types of crochet projects to make. It makes sense! A winter hat, cute crocheted bag, scarf, or slippers are all such great projects to make for a variety of occasions. A person could always use another winter hat to stay warm, and slippers are just so wonderful to keep in a few different rooms in the house so you can just slip them on. I personally love crocheting scarves (especially with bulky yarn!) because I really do think a person can't have too many scarves. Check out some of our top crocheted accessories below.
More of Our Best Crochet Patterns
Haven't found the perfect crochet pattern yet after perusing all the projects above? Maybe amigurumi is a type of crochet project you've been meaning to try! Or you're on the hunt for some Christmas projects to crochet. Best of all, you might want to try making a dog sweater. Find the rest of our top crochet patterns from 2017 below.
We have a diverse array of knit clothing patterns below for your perusal! Whether you're knitting for husband, child, baby, or yourself, there are knitting patterns for clothing below. Find sweaters, ponchos, and more in our list of patterns.
Knit Slippers and More Accessories
Our pattern for Grandma's Knitted Slippers is one of the most popular projects on FaveCrafts.com. Hundreds of people have reviewed the pattern and you should try it, too! We have patterns below for some of our favorite knit hats, and you'll also enjoy some of the knit scarves and fingerless mitts below, too! (Confession: I love knitting bulky scarves, too!)
Speaking of knit accessories, my personal favorite is scarves! Browse our popular collection of 59 Free Scarf Knitting Patterns
Like the crocheted afghans shared above, knit afghans were super popular for us this year! If you've never knit an afghan, it IS an undertaking, but the results are so rewarding. It's nice to be able to knit flat, and you can create the most beautiful throws and baby blankets for home decor and gift giving.
Free Knit Dishcloth Patterns
Like learning to crochet, one great way to learn knitting is by working up a dishcloth. Knit dishcloth patterns are fantastic for practicing the basic knit and purl stitches. You'll also get your tension under control as you learn to knit. Once finished, dishcloths make great gifts to give, and you really can never have too many of them about.
Tie Dye and Other Craft Projects
If you love wearing tie dye in summer, you have to make these beautiful tie dye patterns! Learn the basics with some of our most popular patterns below. These basic techniques are great for learning how to make a variety of tie dye designs. We also have in this last section of our roundup two of our most popular crafts: a sewing pattern for hanging dish towels, and an awesome storage solution that sewists and crafters alike will adore. I hope you've had a wonderful time browsing our 100 most popular crafts of 2017!
The Best Craft Ideas of Yesteryear!
Want to take a trip down memory lane? Enjoy browsing our top craft collections from years past! They date all the way back to 2011 and are a delight to browse through. You'll never run out of inspiration!
- The 100 Best Craft Ideas of 2016
- The 100: Craft Project Ideas and Crochet Project Ideas You Loved in 2015
- The Best of the Best: The Top 100 Projects of 2014
- 100 Craft Ideas: Easy Crochet Patterns, Easy Christmas Crafts, Tie Dye Patterns (2013)
- 100 Craft Ideas: Free Crochet Afghan Patterns, Craft Storage and Organization, Recycling Crafts, DIY Home Decor (2012)
- 100 Craft Ideas: Free Crochet Patterns, Free Sewing Patterns, Recycling Crafts, DIY Home Decor (2011)
Find more of our absolute favorite projects in 44 Easy Craft Projects For Adults
What was your favorite project you made in 2017? Let us know in the comments!
Free projects, giveaways, exclusive partner offers, and more straight to your inbox!
Your Recently Viewed Projects
Images from other crafters
Report Inappropriate Comment
Are you sure you would like to report this comment? It will be flagged for our moderators to take action.
Thank you for taking the time to improve the content on our site.
- Super Simple Cup Coasters
- Tuscan Moon Shawl
- Washcloth Set Crochet Pattern
- Gnome Towel Topper
- Entirely Easy Men's Crochet Scarf
- Crochet Christmas Present Coaster
- Retro Messy Bun Hat Crochet Pattern
- Halloween Ghost Amigurumi Ornament Doll Toy
- Lemon Peel Soup Mug Cozy
- Fun and Marvelous Fingerless Mitts
- 11 Crochet Shawl Patterns: Crochet Poncho Patterns, Free Easy Crochet Patterns and More
- 12 Knitted Scarf Patterns: Fabulous Free Knitting Patterns for Beginners
- 14 Free Crochet Patterns for Babies and Toddlers
- 16 Free Crochet Hat Patterns, Scarves, and Gloves
- 22 Free Crochet Patterns: Afghan Patterns, Crochet Hats, and More
- 24 Quick and Easy Knitting Patterns
- 7 Adult Coloring Pages
- 8 Free Apron Sewing Patterns
- Easy Lace Knitting Patterns
- Quick & Easy Decoupage: 12 Fabulous Mod Podge Projects for Your Home