Granny Crochet Dishcloth Pattern
Learn how to crochet a granny square dishcloth with this easy printable crochet pattern.
We are adding the craft to your Craft Projects.
The project was added to your Craft Projects.
There's no easier way to learn how to crochet a granny square dishcloth than the Granny Crochet Dishcloth Pattern. It begins with a small granny square and is then worked corner-to-corner for a striped effect. The end result? A fun, colorful dishcloth you’ll love. The cool thing about crochet dishcloth patterns is that they're just practical granny squares. You might not mind washing dishes as much with a vibrant granny square dishcloth like this on hand. It’s also perfect for yarn hoarders. Bust your stash in a jiffy by making a few. You can never have too many dishcloths in a world of endless dirty dishes.
Crochet HookI/9 or 5.5 mm hook
Crochet Gauge12 dc and 7 rows = 4” [10 cm]
Finished SizeApprox 8 “ [20 cm] square
- Lily® Sugar’n Cream® (Solids: 70.9 g/2.5 oz; 109 m/120 yds; Ombres and Prints: 56.7 g/2 oz; 86 m/95 yds) Contrast A 02223 (Mod Ombre) or 02741 (Playtime) or 02220 (Green Dream) or 00001 (White) 1 ball
- Lily® Sugar’n Cream® Contrast B 01742 (Hot Blue) or 01628 (Hot Orange) or 01740 (Hot Pink) or 01712 (Hot Green) 1 ball
- Size 5.5 mm (U.S. I or 9) crochet hook or size needed to obtain gauge.
How to Crochet a Granny Square Dishcloth
Note: Ch 5 at beg of each rnd counts as dc and ch 2.
With A, ch 4. Join with sl st in first ch to form a ring.
1st rnd: Ch 5. (3 dc. Ch 2) 3 times in ring. 2 dc in ring. Join with sl st to 3rd ch of ch 5. Break A.
2nd rnd: Join B with sl st in any ch-2 sp. Ch 5. 3 dc in same sp as last sl st. [Ch 1. Miss next 3 dc. (3 dc. Ch 2. 3 dc) in next ch-2 sp] 3 times. Ch 1. 2 dc in first ch-2 sp. Join with sl st to 3rd ch of ch 5. Break B.
3rd rnd: Join A with sl st in any ch-2 sp. Ch 5. 3 dc in same sp as last sl st. [Ch 1. Miss next 3 dc. 3 dc in next ch-1 sp. Ch 1. Miss next 3 dc. (3 dc. Ch 2. 3 dc) in next ch-2 sp] 3 times. Ch 1. 3 dc in next ch-1 sp. Ch 1. 2 dc in first ch-2 sp. Join with sl st to 3rd ch of ch 5. Break A.
4th rnd: Join B with sl st in any ch-2 sp. Ch 5. 3 dc in same sp as last sl st. *(Ch 1. Miss next 3 dc. 3 dc in next ch-1 sp) twice. Ch 1. Miss next 3 dc.** (3 dc. Ch 2. 3 dc) in next ch-2 sp. Rep from * twice more, then from * to ** once. 2 dc in first ch-2 sp. Join with sl st to 3rd ch of ch 5. Fasten off .
Proceed in rows as follows:
-- When changing colors, work to last 2 loops on hook of last st. Draw new color through last 2 loops to complete st and proceed in new color.
-- Ch 2 at beg of row does not count as hdc.
1st row: (RS). Join A with sl st in any ch-2 sp. Ch 2. 1 hdc in same ch-2 sp. 1 hdc in each dc and ch-1 sp to next ch-2 sp. (1 hdc. Ch 1. 1 hdc) in next ch-2 sp (corner). 1 hdc in each dc and ch-1 sp to next ch-2 sp. 1 hdc in next ch-2 sp. Turn. Leave rem 2 sides of Granny Square unworked. 35 sts.
2nd row: Ch 2. 1 hdc in each hdc to next ch-1 sp. (1 hdc. Ch 1. 1 hdc) in next ch-1 sp (corner). 1 hdc in each hdc to end of row. Join B in last st. Turn. 37 sts.
3rd row: With B, ch 2. 1 hdc in each hdc to next ch-1 sp. (1 hdc. Ch 1. 1 hdc) in next ch-1 sp (corner). 1 hdc in each hdc to end of row. Turn. 39 sts.
4th row: Ch 2. 1 hdc in each hdc to next ch-1 sp. (1 hdc. Ch 1. 1 hdc) in next ch-1 sp (corner). 1 hdc in each hdc to end of row. Join A in last st. Turn. 41 sts.
Cont in this manner, working 2 more rows with A and 2 more rows with B. 49 sts. Fasten off .
You're on a roll. If you've got more leftover yarn, check out other easy dishcloth patterns in 23 Free Crochet Dishcloth Patterns for Beginners
Free projects, giveaways, exclusive partner offers, and more straight to your inbox!
Your Recently Viewed Projects
Images from other crafters
Report Inappropriate Comment
Are you sure you would like to report this comment? It will be flagged for our moderators to take action.
Thank you for taking the time to improve the content on our site.
Project of the Day
New to the wonderful world of crochet? If so, you should definitely start with this Light Grey Easy Crochet Afghan Pattern. When… Continue reading: "Light Grey Easy Crochet Afghan Pattern"
- 23 Free Crochet Dishcloth Patterns for Beginners
- Aunt Bee's Gingham Dishcloth
- Crochet Doily in Pineapple Pattern
- Thick Crochet Dishcloth Pattern
- Crochet Stash Baskets
- Mop or Sweeper Cover Crochet Pattern
- Jewels of the Desert Crocheted Dishcloth
- Easy Ombre Dishcloth
- Flower Dish Cloths
- Granny Crochet Dishcloth Pattern
Our Newest Projects & Articles
- Create A Heart Template
- Mitered Corners
- How To Sew A Four Patch Quilt Block
- Easy Half Square Triangles
- Diy Valentine’s Day Toilet Paper Roll Wreath
- Easy You Spice Up My Life Diy Valentine's Day Gifts With Printables
- Winter Walk Cap
- Valentine's Day Potpourri With Essential Oils
- Kindness Changes Everything DIY Tote Bag
- Printable Bible Verses About Joy
- 11 Crochet Shawl Patterns: Crochet Poncho Patterns, Free Easy Crochet Patterns and More
- 12 Knitted Scarf Patterns: Fabulous Free Knitting Patterns for Beginners
- 14 Free Crochet Patterns for Babies and Toddlers
- 16 Free Crochet Hat Patterns, Scarves, and Gloves
- 22 Free Crochet Patterns: Afghan Patterns, Crochet Hats, and More
- 24 Quick and Easy Knitting Patterns
- 7 Adult Coloring Pages
- 8 Free Apron Sewing Patterns
- Easy Lace Knitting Patterns
- Quick & Easy Decoupage: 12 Fabulous Mod Podge Projects for Your Home