Beginner Montgomery Fingerless Mitts
These simple knitted fingerless mittens are perfect for beginner knitters (and beyond)!
We are adding the craft to your Craft Projects.
The project was added to your Craft Projects.
These free knitting patterns are quick and easy! Make these beginner Montgomery Fingerless Mitts for a fashion-forward way to stay warm in the cold weather.
Knitting Needle Size8 or 5 mm
Yarn Weight(5) Bulky/Chunky (12-15 stitches for 4 inches)
Gauge16 stitches = 4 inches
Finished Size women’s medium, approx 7 inches around at the cuff
- 1 x 100g (136 yds) Knit Picks Comfy Bulky (shown in Vinca)
- 5.0 mm, either 4-5 double pointed, or 2 circular, needles
Mitts (work two the same)
Cast on 28, being careful not to make the stitches tight. (To change the width of the mitts, increase the number of cast on stitches by 2’s). Split the stitches evenly over your needles. Join in the round, being careful not to twist the stitches.
Eyelet Band at cuff (8 rows)
Rows 1, 3, 7: Knit.
Row 2, 4, 6, 8: Purl.
Row 5: *K2tog, yo; rep from *.
Knit 17 rows.
Shaping for thumb (18 rows)
Row 1: K1, kfb, knit until 2 sts are left in the row, kfb, k1. (30 sts).
Rows 2 and 3: Knit.
Repeat Rows 1-3 five more times. You now have 40 sts on your needles.
Separate the thumb stitches
On the next row knit the first 6 sts. Then, put these 6 sts AND the last 6 sts of the row onto a scrap piece of yarn. (These 12 sts are for the thumb, which you’ll knit later). Knit to the end of the row.
Now knit 7 more rows (on the first of these 7 rows, you’ll have to rejoin in the round).
Eyelet Band at Fingers (3 rows)
Row 1: Purl.
Row 2: K2tog, yo; rep from *.
Row 3: Purl.
Bind off, not too tightly.
Thumb (4 rows)
Transfer the 12 sts from the scrap yarn to your needles. Join your yarn, leaving a long tail (we’ll use this later).
Row 1: Knit.
Row 2: Purl.
Row 3: *K2tog, yo; rep from *.
Row 4: Purl
Bind off, not too tightly.
Weave in the ends at the cuff, fingers, thumb edge. You’ll probably have a gap where the thumb joins the hand. Turn the mitt inside out and use that long tail that you left when you started the thumb the sew up the gap.
- put the tip of right needle through the first two needles on the left needle and knit them together yo bring yarn from back to front over right needle
- knit a stitch, but leave it on the left needle, then knit again into the back of the stitch, and slide it off the needle
Looking for another easy knitting pattern, we've got a collection for that! Whether you're a beginner knitter or you've been at your craft for years, you're to find something new to cast on in 45 Quick and Easy Free Knitting Patterns and Beginner Help
Free projects, giveaways, exclusive partner offers, and more straight to your inbox!
Your Recently Viewed Projects
Report Inappropriate Comment
Are you sure you would like to report this comment? It will be flagged for our moderators to take action.
Thank you for taking the time to improve the content on our site.
Project of the Day
This Rustic Coffee Filter Wreath is a beautiful home decor item for the fall. It's easy to make and looks great hanging by a mantel… Continue reading: "Rustic Coffee Filter Wreathvideocam"
- 16 Free Knitting Patterns for Mittens
- Mittens for the Whole Family
- Beginner Montgomery Fingerless Mitts
- Quick Adorable Fingerless Gloves
- Starburst Fingerless Gloves Knitting Pattern
- Fingerless Cable Gloves
- Wicked Knit Mittens
- Chunky Mittens Knitting Pattern
- Easy Wrist Warmers
- Boucle Mittens and Matching Beret
Our Newest Projects & Articles
- Patchwork Sampler Bag
- Fall Inspired Chunky Blanket
- Crochet Candy Corn Amigurumi
- Polar Bear Sweater
- Fall Tissue Paper Suncatchers Craft
- Easy Coffee Filter Turkeys Thanksgiving Craft
- Pumpkin Size Sorting Printable Activity For Kindergarten
- Lacy Zigzag Scarf
- Attractive Wall Hanging From Paper
- Frame From Newspaper
- 11 Crochet Shawl Patterns: Crochet Poncho Patterns, Free Easy Crochet Patterns and More
- 12 Knitted Scarf Patterns: Fabulous Free Knitting Patterns for Beginners
- 14 Free Crochet Patterns for Babies and Toddlers
- 16 Free Crochet Hat Patterns, Scarves, and Gloves
- 22 Free Crochet Patterns: Afghan Patterns, Crochet Hats, and More
- 24 Quick and Easy Knitting Patterns
- 7 Adult Coloring Pages
- 8 Free Apron Sewing Patterns
- Easy Lace Knitting Patterns
- Quick & Easy Decoupage: 12 Fabulous Mod Podge Projects for Your Home