Beginner Hat Knitting Pattern
Learn how to knit a hat for beginners with this fan-favorite pattern!
We are adding the craft to your Craft Projects.
The project was added to your Craft Projects.
If you're new to knitting or have never knitted a hat before, this Beginner Hat Knitting Pattern from Red Heart Yarn is perfect for you! Cute knitted hats like this make great gifts for everyone and are easy and fun to make.
Embellish it with a flower or pom for extra flair. Cozy and comfy, free hat knitting patterns are a winter weather essential. The warm design is sure to keep the cold from nipping at your ears all fall and winter long.
Knit this cutie up in your favorite color yarn or create a neutral hat in browns or blacks for your man. Learn how to knit a hat for beginners with this easy pattern.
Knitting Needle Size10 or 6 mm
Yarn Weight(4) Medium Weight/Worsted Weight and Aran (16-20 stitches to 4 inches)
Gauge16 sts = 4 in.; 20 rows = 4 in. in ribbing, slightly stretched.
Finished Size18 in. around (slightly stretched)
- 1 skein Red Heart With Love Yarn in Mango
- 6 mm (US 10) knitting needles
- Yarn needle
Cast on 70 sts.
Row 1 (Wrong Side): *Purl 2, knit 2; repeat from * to last 2 stitches, purl 2.
Row 2 (Right Side): *Knit 2, purl 2; repeat from * to last 2 stitches, knit 2.
Repeat Rows 1 and 2 until work measures 10 inches from beginning, ending with a wrong side row.
Row 1 (Right Side): *Knit 2, purl 2 together (decrease 1 stitch); repeat from * to last 2 stitches, knit 2 – 53 stitches.
Row 2 (Wrong Side): *Purl 2, knit 1; repeat from * to last 2 stitches, purl 2.
Row 3: *Knit 2, purl 1; repeat from * to last 2 stitches, knit 2.
Row 4: Repeat Row 2.
Next Row: *Knit 2 together, purl 1; repeat from * to last 2 stitches, knit 2 – 36 stitches.
Next Row: Purl 2, *knit 1, purl 1; repeat from * to end.
Next Row: *Knit 2 together; repeat from * to end – 18 stitches.
Next Row: Purl.
Last Row: *Knit 2 together; repeat from * to end – 9 sts.
Cut yarn leaving a long end for seaming.
Weave yarn through remaining stitches; gather stitches up firmly and secure. Sew the back seam. Starting about 3 inches from the bottom, sew the seam on the reverse side, as it will be turned up for the brim.
Looking for a knit hat pattern but this one isn't quite what you had in mind? Browse our complete collection of 27 Free Hat Knitting Patterns
Have you ever knitted a hat before? What did it look like?
Let us know in the comments below!
Free projects, giveaways, exclusive partner offers, and more straight to your inbox!
Your Recently Viewed Projects
Report Inappropriate Comment
Are you sure you would like to report this comment? It will be flagged for our moderators to take action.
Thank you for taking the time to improve the content on our site.
Our Newest Projects & Articles
- How To Sew A Four Patch Quilt Block
- Easy Half Square Triangles
- Diy Valentine’s Day Toilet Paper Roll Wreath
- Easy You Spice Up My Life Diy Valentine's Day Gifts With Printables
- Winter Walk Cap
- Valentine's Day Potpourri With Essential Oils
- Kindness Changes Everything DIY Tote Bag
- Printable Bible Verses About Joy
- Have Yourself A Ball This Winter - Humorous Greeting Card
- Dry Erase Valentine's Day Sign
- 11 Crochet Shawl Patterns: Crochet Poncho Patterns, Free Easy Crochet Patterns and More
- 12 Knitted Scarf Patterns: Fabulous Free Knitting Patterns for Beginners
- 14 Free Crochet Patterns for Babies and Toddlers
- 16 Free Crochet Hat Patterns, Scarves, and Gloves
- 22 Free Crochet Patterns: Afghan Patterns, Crochet Hats, and More
- 24 Quick and Easy Knitting Patterns
- 7 Adult Coloring Pages
- 8 Free Apron Sewing Patterns
- Easy Lace Knitting Patterns
- Quick & Easy Decoupage: 12 Fabulous Mod Podge Projects for Your Home