Beginner's Favorite Knitted Hat
Learn how to knit a hat for beginners with this fan-favorite pattern!
We are adding the craft to your Craft Projects.
The project was added to your Craft Projects.
If you're new to knitting or have never knitted a hat before, this Beginner's Favorite Knitted Hat from Red Heart Yarn is perfect for you! Cute knitted hats like this make great gifts for everyone and are easy and fun to make.
Embellish it with a flower or pom for extra flair. Cozy and comfy, free hat knitting patterns are a winter weather essential. The warm design is sure to keep the cold from nipping at your ears all fall and winter long.
Knit this cutie up in your favorite color yarn or create a neutral hat in browns or blacks for your man. Learn how to knit a hat for beginners with this easy pattern.
Estimated CostUnder $10
Time to CompleteWeekend project
Project TypeMake a Project
- Red Heart® With Love™: 1 skein 1252 Mango
- Knitting Needles: 6mm [US 10]
- Yarn needle
GAUGE: 16 sts = 4”; 20 rows = 4” in ribbing, slightly stretched. CHECK
Hat measures 18 inches around (slightly stretched).
Cast on 70 sts.
Row 1 (Wrong Side): *Purl 2, knit 2; repeat from * to last 2 stitches, purl 2.
Row 2 (Right Side): *Knit 2, purl 2; repeat from * to last 2 stitches, knit 2.
Repeat Rows 1 and 2 until work measures 10 inches from beginning, ending with a wrong side row.
Row 1 (Right Side): *Knit 2, purl 2 together (decrease 1 stitch); repeat from * to last 2 stitches, knit 2 – 53 stitches.
Row 2 (Wrong Side): *Purl 2, knit 1; repeat from * to last 2 stitches, purl 2.
Row 3: *Knit 2, purl 1; repeat from * to last 2 stitches, knit 2.
Row 4: Repeat Row 2.
Next Row: *Knit 2 together, purl 1; repeat from * to last 2 stitches, knit 2 – 36 stitches.
Next Row: Purl 2, *knit 1, purl 1; repeat from * to end.
Next Row: *Knit 2 together; repeat from * to end – 18 stitches.
Next Row: Purl.
Last Row: *Knit 2 together; repeat from * to end – 9 sts.
Cut yarn leaving a long end for seaming.
Weave yarn through remaining stitches; gather stitches up firmly and secure. Sew the back seam. Starting about 3 inches from the bottom, sew the seam on the reverse side, as this will be turned up for the brim.
Have you ever knitted a hat before? What did it look like?
Tags / Related Topics
Your Recently Viewed Projects
Free recipes, giveaways, exclusive, partner offers, and more straight to your inbox!
Report Inappropriate Comment
Are you sure you would like to report this comment? It will be flagged for our moderators to take action.
Thank you for taking the time to improve the content on our site.
- Beginner's Favorite Knitted Hat
- Men's Winter Hat and Scarf
- Bright Knit Hats and Mittens Holiday Decorations
- 27 Free Hat Knitting Patterns
- Chunky Winter Cable Knit Hat
- Chunky Cable Hat Knitting Pattern
- Double Knit Hat with Earflaps
- Soft Cable Hat Knitting Pattern
- Adorable Chunky Pom Knit Toddler Hat Pattern
- Easy Striped Knitted Hat
Our Newest Projects & Articles
- Zentangle Cupid of Hearts Adult Coloring Page
- Gelly Roll Hand Lettering Tutorial
- Scandinavian Knit Stocking Pattern
- Joyful Stenciled Christmas Sign
- Simple Life Tote Bag Tutorial
- Tea Light Snowman and Owl Christmas Ornaments
- Chubby Christmas Crochet Elf Patterns
- Handmade JOY Holiday Trio Ensemble
- Arctic Albatross Adult Coloring Page
- The Art of Quilling Paper Jewelry
- 11 Crochet Shawl Patterns: Crochet Poncho Patterns, Free Easy Crochet Patterns and More
- 12 Knitted Scarf Patterns: Fabulous Free Knitting Patterns for Beginners
- 14 Free Crochet Patterns for Babies and Toddlers
- 16 Free Crochet Hat Patterns, Scarves, and Gloves
- 22 Free Crochet Patterns: Afghan Patterns, Crochet Hats, and More
- 24 Quick and Easy Knitting Patterns
- 7 Adult Coloring Pages
- 8 Free Apron Sewing Patterns
- Easy Lace Knitting Patterns
- Quick & Easy Decoupage: 12 Fabulous Mod Podge Projects for Your Home