Two Piece Knit Poncho Pattern
This rectangular poncho knitting pattern is perfect for beginners.
We are adding the craft to your Craft Projects.
The project was added to your Craft Projects.
Looking for a new staple piece for your wardrobe? Well, you've come to the right place! This Two Piece Knit Poncho Pattern is a must for every winter closet. Made out of chunky yarn, this poncho will keep you warm and cozy.
Whether you're attending a fancy event or taking a lazy day, this free knitting pattern is a great option, and it's meant to be worn by women of all shapes and sizes. In the pattern's instructions, you'll notice that you can adjust the poncho's size without any extra trouble. You only need three or four balls of yarn, so there's no way you'll break the bank. This pattern is so easy to knit that you'll be choosing ponchos over knit shawl patterns in the winter (though you should definitely bookmark our shawls collection to come back to in summer!).
No one wants to deal with increases or decreases if they can avoid it. By working up this rectangular poncho knitting pattern, all you need to do is create two panels and seam them together. So, if you're looking for a free poncho knitting pattern or you just want to try something new, this poncho pattern is perfect for you!
Knitting Needle Size8 or 5 mm
Yarn Weight(5) Bulky/Chunky (12-15 stitches for 4 inches)
Gauge15 sts and 22 rows = 4 in. [10 cm] in stocking st.
Finished SizeXS/M 20½ in. [52 cm] -- L/2XL 22½ in. [57 cm] -- 3XL/5XL 24½ in. [62 cm]
- Bernat Harmony (100 g/3.5 oz) in Ocean Blue (47142) - Sizes XS/M 3 balls; L/2XL 4 balls; 3XL/5XL 4 balls
- Knitting needles: size 5 mm (U.S. 8) or size needed to obtain gauge.
Love this poncho? Find an adorable version for children here: Easy Kids' Knit Poncho
The instructions are written for the smallest size. If changes are necessary for larger sizes, the instructions will be written thus ( ).
FRONT and BACK (make alike):
Cast on 55 (60-65) sts.
Knit 3 rows.
Next row: (RS). Knit.
Next row: K3. Purl to last 3 sts. K3.
Rep last 2 rows until work from beg measures 29 (32-34) in. [73.5 (81.5-86.5) cm], ending with WS facing for next row.
Knit 2 rows. Cast off knitwise (WS).
Sew cast off edge of one piece to side of other piece as shown in Diagram.
XS/M 28-38 in. [71-96.5 cm]
L/2XL 40-50 in. [101.5-127 cm]
3XL/5XL 52-62 in. [132-157.5 cm]
Finished length between neck edge and point:
XS/M 20½ in. [52 cm]
L/2XL 22½ in. [57 cm]
3XL/5XL 24½ in. [62 cm]
Discover our favorite free knitting patterns for ponchos or capes! Warm up by wrapping yourself in a knitted poncho that's easy to make and appropriate for all types of weather: 16 Free Poncho Knitting Patterns
Free projects, giveaways, exclusive partner offers, and more straight to your inbox!
Your Recently Viewed Projects
Report Inappropriate Comment
Are you sure you would like to report this comment? It will be flagged for our moderators to take action.
Thank you for taking the time to improve the content on our site.
Our Newest Projects & Articles
- Graduation Party Favors
- Picot Crochet Flower
- Free All About My Dad And All About My Grandpa Printables For Kids
- Military Gnome
- Elegant Mask Mate Ear Saver
- Crochet Minion Water Bottle Sling/cozy
- Crochet Pertevniyal Mandala Doily
- Lilly Winter Puppy Sweater
- Cheese Grater Owl
- How To Sew A Pot Scrubber Out Of Mesh Produce Bags
- 11 Crochet Shawl Patterns: Crochet Poncho Patterns, Free Easy Crochet Patterns and More
- 12 Knitted Scarf Patterns: Fabulous Free Knitting Patterns for Beginners
- 14 Free Crochet Patterns for Babies and Toddlers
- 16 Free Crochet Hat Patterns, Scarves, and Gloves
- 22 Free Crochet Patterns: Afghan Patterns, Crochet Hats, and More
- 24 Quick and Easy Knitting Patterns
- 7 Adult Coloring Pages
- 8 Free Apron Sewing Patterns
- Easy Lace Knitting Patterns
- Quick & Easy Decoupage: 12 Fabulous Mod Podge Projects for Your Home