Isobel's Afghan Pattern
Learn how to crochet an afghan that would look right at home on the set of Downton Abbey.
We are adding the craft to your Craft Projects.
The project was added to your Craft Projects.
Fans of the acclaimed television series Downton Abbey are going to love this free crochet afghan pattern. Worked up in the Downton Abbey Matthew line from Premier Yarns, this darling and Downton-inspired crochet afghan pattern works up to create a cozy yet stylish pattern. You are going to love Isobel’s Afghan Pattern. If you are looking to add vintage hints that even the Crawley family would adore to your home décor, you have found the right pattern. This is the perfect crochet pattern to work on while you lounge on the couch, marathoning your way through the series. This big and cozy afghan will be a true conversation piece in your home.
Crochet HookI/9 or 5.5 mm hook
Yarn Weight(4) Medium Weight/Worsted Weight and Aran (16-20 stitches to 4 inches)
Crochet GaugeBlock = 9” square
Save time, check your gauge.
Downton Abbey Matthew by Premier Yarns (75% Acrylic, 21% Wool; 100 gm/230 yds)
#DA4001-03 Birch White (A) – 4 balls
#DA4001-04 Stone Blue (B) – 4 balls
#DA4001-07 Walnut Brown (C) – 4 balls
- Hook: US Size I-9 (5.5 mm) crochet hook or size needed to obtain gauge
- Notions: Tapestry needle
If you love this craft project idea, you will love the rest of the DIY crafts in
13 DIY Home Decor Ideas, Paper Crafts, and More
Isobel's Afghan Pattern Instructions
Adjustable Ring: Leaving a 6-8” tail, hold tail end of yarn in left hand. Make a ring by wrapping yarn around fingers, placing working yarn behind tail. Hold ring just made at the juncture of the two yarns. Insert hook in center of ring, yo, pull up lp. Pull tail of yarn to close ring.
Begin with Adjustable Ring.
Rnd 1: With first color in sequence, ch 3 (counts as dc), 15 dc in ring, join with sl st in 3rd ch of ch 3 – 16 dc.
Rnd 2: Ch 5 (counts as dc, ch 2), *dc in next dc, ch 2; rep from * around, join with sl st in 3rd ch of ch 5 – 16 ch-2 sp. Break yarn.
Rnd 3: With next color in sequence, sl st in 1st ch-2 sp, ch 3 (counts as dc), 2 dc in same sp, *3 dc in next ch-2 sp; rep from * around, join with sl st in 3rd ch of ch 3 – 48 dc.
Rnd 4: Ch 1, sc in same dc as join, *ch 5, sk 2 dc, sc in next dc; rep from * around, ch 5, join with sl st in sc – 16 ch-5 sp.
Rnd 5: Ch 3 (counts as dc), *sc in next ch-5 sp, 6 dc in next ch-5 sp, sc in next ch-5 sp, (6 dc, ch 3, 6 dc) in next ch-5 sp (corner); rep from * twice more, sc in next ch-5 sp, 6 dc in next ch-5 sp, sc in next ch-5 sp, (6 dc, ch 3, 5 dc) in next ch-5 sp, join with sl st in 3rd ch of ch 3. Break yarn.
Rnd 6: Join yarn with sl st in any corner ch-3 sp, ch 6 (counts as dc, ch 3), dc in same sp, *ch 5, dc in next sc, ch 3, sk 3 dc, hdc in next dc, ch 3, dc in next sc, ch 5**, (dc, ch 3, dc) in corner ch-3 sp; rep from * three more times, ending last rep at **, join with sl st in 3rd ch of ch 6.
Rnd 7: Sl st in ch-3 sp, ch 3 (counts as dc) (2 dc, ch3, 3 dc) in same sp, *5 dc in next ch-5 sp, [3 dc in next ch-3 sp] twice, 5 dc in next ch-5 sp**, (3 dc, ch 3, 3 dc) in corner ch-3 sp; rep from * three more times ending last rep at **, join with sl st in 3rd ch of ch 3. Break yarn.
Rnd 8: Join C with sl st in any corner ch-3 sp, ch 3 (counts as dc), 5 dc in same sp, *dc in each dc to corner ch-3 sp, 6 dc in ch-3 sp; rep from * twice more, dc in each dc to end, join with sl st in 3rd ch of ch 3. Break yarn.
Rnd 9: Join A with a sl st in any dc, ch 1, sc in same st as join, sc in each dc to end, join with sl st in sc.
Using schematic as a guide for color sequence, rep Block until 40 blocks have been worked, working 13 in Block 1 Color Sequence, 14 in Block 2 Color Sequence, and 13 in Block 3 Color Sequence.
Arrange squares as shown in schematic and seam using Color A. Work one round of sc evenly around entire Throw, working 3 sc in each corner. Fasten off. Weave in ends. Block lightly.
- double crochet
Find even more crochet blanket patterns and afghans to love in our list of 66 Fantastic Free Afghan Patterns + 5 New Crochet Afghan Patterns
Tags / Related Topics
Your Recently Viewed Projects
Images from other crafters
Free projects, giveaways, exclusive partner offers, and more straight to your inbox!
Report Inappropriate Comment
Are you sure you would like to report this comment? It will be flagged for our moderators to take action.
Thank you for taking the time to improve the content on our site.
- Arrow Stitch Crochet Afghan
- Chevron Blanket Crochet Pattern
- Hand Crochet Chunky Blanket
- Christmas Tree Afghan
- Under 6 Hours Crochet Throw Pattern
- Bavarian Rainbow Afghan
- Millionaire's Afghan
- Weekend-Wonder Giant Granny Square Throw
- Bold and Beautiful Catherines Wheel Crochet Throw
- Ripple Afghan Crochet Pattern
Our Newest Projects & Articles
- Peanut Free Halloween Treat Envelope
- Fall Acorn Mandala Adult Coloring Page
- Christmas Bauble Mandala Adult Coloring Page
- Floral Mandala Adult Coloring Page
- Pumpkin Feast Adult Coloring Page
- 17 Free Crochet Patterns for Rugs
- All About Your Heart Coloring Page
- Top 6 Things to Do While Crafting
- Crochet Easy Ribbed Scarf
- 1920s Inspirational Quote Adult Coloring Page
- 11 Crochet Shawl Patterns: Crochet Poncho Patterns, Free Easy Crochet Patterns and More
- 12 Knitted Scarf Patterns: Fabulous Free Knitting Patterns for Beginners
- 14 Free Crochet Patterns for Babies and Toddlers
- 16 Free Crochet Hat Patterns, Scarves, and Gloves
- 22 Free Crochet Patterns: Afghan Patterns, Crochet Hats, and More
- 24 Quick and Easy Knitting Patterns
- 7 Adult Coloring Pages
- 8 Free Apron Sewing Patterns
- Easy Lace Knitting Patterns
- Quick & Easy Decoupage: 12 Fabulous Mod Podge Projects for Your Home