We are adding the craft to your Craft Projects.
The project was added to your Craft Projects.
Zig-zags of warm orange run through the Ripple Afghan Crochet Pattern from Bernat Yarns, perfect for the modern home. This single crochet ripple afghan pattern calls for two sizes of crochet hook to help you get the unique look of this stitch. This pattern is great for adding some color to your living room or bedroom, and since it combines three different colored yarns, this crochet afghan pattern is perfect for bringing popular colors in your room together for an organized and stylish look to your decor.
Resembling the geometric glamour of chevron while still maintaining that cozy look of crochet, this free afghan pattern can be created for just about any home. All you need to do to make this stunner match your space if find the right yarns. This would make a fantastic afghan to keep on your bed for extra warmth, as well.
Yarn Weight(4) Medium Weight/Worsted Weight and Aran (16-20 stitches to 4 inches)
Crochet Gauge12 sc and 13 rows = 4 ins [10 cm] with smaller hook.
Finished SizeMeasures approx 46 x 58 ins [117 x 147.5 cm]
- 16 balls Bernat Berella Yarn (100g/3.5 oz) in the following colors: 2 in True Taupe (MC), 4 in Soft Taupe (A), 4 in Soft Heather (B), 6 in Burnt Orange (C) OR
- 20 balls Bernat Berella Yarn (Ombres 85g/3 oz) in the following colors: 2 of Main Color, 5 of yarn A, 5 of yarn B, 7 of yarn C)
- Sizes 5.5 mm (U.S. I or 9) and 6 mm (U.S. J or 10) crochet hooks or size needed to obtain gauge.
Learn How to Crochet a Ripple Afghan Pattern
DID YOU KNOW? The History of Crochet Afghan Patterns
While the word crochet comes from the French word of the exact same spelling meaning a small hook, the word afghan comes from a very different origin. The word afghan actually refers to the country Afghanistan because coverlets, later known as crochet and knit afghans, originated in this country. This word can be traced back to around 1833 where the novelist Thomas Carlyle mentioned the pieces of clothing in his Sarttor Resartus.
These days, however, crochet afghans are less often worn than they are used as smaller blankets to cover up on a chilly day. These newer versions of the afghan come in a variety of shapes and sizes. From crochet afghan patterns that feature granny squares to the more modern and popular ripple afghan pattern, the size of afghans has changed of the years. Crochet afghans made their first appearance in everyday crochet between 1900 and 1930 when the art moved from more delicate, wearable crochet patterns to more practical pieces like the afghan or other household items like pot holders, car rugs, and more.
Note: First and last sc of each row is left unworked.
With smaller hook and MC, ch 225. Mark every 50th ch for easier counting.
1st row: (RS). 1 sc in 2nd ch from hook. *1 sc in each of next 9 ch.Ch 2. 1 sc in each of next 10 ch. Miss next 2 ch. 1 sc in each of next 5 ch. Ch 2. 1 sc in each of next 5 ch. Miss next 2 ch. 1 sc in next ch. Rep from * to last 19 ch. 1 sc in each of next 9 ch. Ch 2. 1 sc in each of next 10 ch. Fasten off. Turn. 224 sts.
**2nd row: Miss first sc. Join A, with sl st to back loop of next sc. Ch 1. Working in back loops only, 1 sc in same sp as sl st. 1 sc in each of next 8 sc. (1 sc. Ch 2. 1 sc) in next ch-2 sp. 1 sc in each of next 9 sc. *Miss next 2 sc. 1 sc in each of next 4 sts. (1 sc. Ch 2. 1 sc) in next ch-2 sp. 1 sc in each of the next 4 sts. Miss next 2 sc. 1 sc in each of next 9 sts. (1 sc. Ch 2. 1 sc) in next ch-2 sp. 1 sc in each of next 9 sc. Rep from * to last sc. Turn.
3rd and 4th rows: Sl st in first 2 sc. Ch 1. Working in back loops only, 1 sc in same sp as last sl st. 1 sc in each of next 8 sc. (1 sc. Ch 2. 1 sc) in next ch-2 sp. 1 sc in each of next 9 sc. *Miss next 2 sc. 1 sc in each of next 4 sts. (1 sc. Ch 2. 1 sc) in next ch-2 sp. 1 sc in each of the next 4 sts. Miss next 2 sc. 1 sc in each of next 9 sts. (1 sc. Ch 2. 1 sc) in next ch-2 sp. 1 sc in each of next 9 sc. Rep from * to last sc. Leave last sc unworked. Turn. Fasten off at end of 4th row.
5th row: With B, as 2nd row.
6th to 9th rows: With B, as 3rd row 4 times. Fasten off at end of 9th row.
10th row: With C, as 2nd row.
Next 8 rows: With C, as 3rd row 8 times. Fasten off at end of last row.
Next row: With MC, as 2nd row.** Rep from ** to ** of Flame Pat 7 times more, omitting last row with MC at last rep.
With RS facing and larger hook, join B with sl st to first sc on RS of Afghan. Ch 1. *1 sc in side of next sc. Rep from * along side of Afghan. Fasten off. Rep for other side.
More Crochet Ripple Afghan Patterns
If you are looking for even more stunning crochet afghan patterns that feature this fabulous texture, check out the list of ripple afghan patterns to crochet below.
Free projects, giveaways, exclusive partner offers, and more straight to your inbox!
Your Recently Viewed Projects
Images from other crafters
Report Inappropriate Comment
Are you sure you would like to report this comment? It will be flagged for our moderators to take action.
Thank you for taking the time to improve the content on our site.
Project of the Day
Easy DIY Christmas crafts, like this Crafty Coca Cola Advent Calendar from I Love to Create, are great holiday projects! Made from an… Continue reading: "Crafty Coca Cola Advent Calendar"
- Fidget/Sensory Blanket for Alzheimer's
- Updated Amish Bars Throw
- 7 Caron Cakes Blanket Patterns
- Dresden Plate Crocheted Throw
- Sherbet and Vanilla Ice Cream Afghan
- Light Grey Easy Crochet Afghan Pattern
- Aran Crochet Throw
- Arrow Stitch Crochet Afghan
- Super Soft Granite Crochet Blanket
- Easy Crochet Diamonds Throw
Our Newest Projects & Articles
- Free Crochet Easter Egg Shape Pattern In 3 Sizes
- Bear Paw Quilt Block
- Tiktok Bee Crochet Pattern In 3 Sizes
- How To Make A Diy Bee House For Mason Bees
- Stella Fingerless Gloves
- Spring Activity Sheets And Coloring Pages
- Dara Table Runner
- Map Paper Moths
- C2c Squirrel
- Equinox Blanket
- 11 Crochet Shawl Patterns: Crochet Poncho Patterns, Free Easy Crochet Patterns and More
- 12 Knitted Scarf Patterns: Fabulous Free Knitting Patterns for Beginners
- 14 Free Crochet Patterns for Babies and Toddlers
- 16 Free Crochet Hat Patterns, Scarves, and Gloves
- 22 Free Crochet Patterns: Afghan Patterns, Crochet Hats, and More
- 24 Quick and Easy Knitting Patterns
- 7 Adult Coloring Pages
- 8 Free Apron Sewing Patterns
- Easy Lace Knitting Patterns
- Quick & Easy Decoupage: 12 Fabulous Mod Podge Projects for Your Home