Easy Afghan for Him
The combination of red, black, and cream yarn make this one of absolute best crochet afghan patterns for a man. Make an Easy Afghan for Him and give it to your significant other, he'll love to cuddle up with it after a long cold day.
Simple crochet patterns often make great gifts, especially during the holiday season. Whether they're young or old, guys can be especially hard to buy a gift for, so why even try? Instead, stay home, kick up your heels and start working on this simple yet stunning free crochet pattern.
Once you start crocheting, you may be tempted to keep a hook in your hand. Luckily, there are tons of free crochet patterns in 22 Free Crochet Patterns: Afghan Patterns, Crochet Hats, and More to keep you busy. You'll find great gift ideas, wearable crafts and home decor projects that you'll want to display forever.
- 3 skeins Caron International Simply Soft Yarn in Autumn Red (A)
- 5 skeins Caron International Simply Soft Yarn in Bone (B)
- 3 skeins Caron International Simply Soft Yarn in Black (C)
- US G-6 crochet hook
- Yarn Needle
Gauge: In pattern stitch, 16 sts and 13 rows = 4"/10cm.
- To change color in the last sc of a row, work last sc of old color to last yarn over, yarn over with new color and draw through both loops on hook to complete stitch.
- In the fifth row of the afghan pattern, single crochet stitches are worked into ch-1 spaces 2 rows below the current row. When working these single crochet stitches, take care to draw the loop of the single crochet up to the height of the current row. These single crochet stitches are to be worked over the single crochet 1 row below (into which you would usually work).
- Work *4 rows with A, 4 rows with B, 4 rows with C, 4 rows with B; repeat from * for Color Sequence.
Afghan measures approximately 50"/127 cm wide x 56"/142 cm long.
With A, chain 207.
Row 1: Sc in 2nd ch from hook and in each remaining ch across, turn—206 sc.
Row 2: Ch 1, sc in each sc across, turn.
Row 3 (right side): Ch 2 (counts as first dc here and throughout), dc in next sc, *ch 1, skip next sc, dc in next 2 sc; repeat from * across, turn—138 dc and 68 ch-1 spaces.
Row 4: Ch 1, sc in each dc and in each ch-1 space across; change to next color in Color Sequence in last sc, turn—206 sc. Fasten off old color.
Row 5: With new color, ch 1, *sc in next 2 sc; sc in next ch-1 space 2 rows below (working over next sc and taking care to draw up loop of sc to height of current row); repeat from * to last 2 sc, sc in last 2 sc, turn.
Repeat Rows 2–5, until piece measures approximately 56"/142 cm. End with a Row 2 worked using A. Fasten off.
Using yarn needle, weave in ends.
Once you've made this Easy Afghan for Him, consider creating a delightful baby blanket and giving it to your favorite little one. The tutorials featured in 51 Free Crochet Blanket Patterns for Beginners are warm, cozy, and so pretty. These handmade gems will surely become keepsakes in the future.
Read NextRipple Afghan Crochet Pattern