50+ Free Easy Crochet Patterns and Help for Beginners
This is your ultimate guide to learn how to crochet for beginners.
We are adding the craft to your Craft Projects.
The project was added to your Craft Projects.
Learn how to crochet for beginners with this collection of free crochet patterns. With these free crochet instructions, answers to common crochet questions and helpful tips, you'll discover that it's actually so easy to find beginner crochet patterns. In fact, there are plenty of projects for everything from easy crochet baby patterns to free afghan patterns. There are also patterns for the kitchen and easy crochet scarf patterns.
Don’t forget to sign up for the FaveCrafts newsletter, Quick and Crafty, for daily crafts and tips delivered straight to your inbox.
Are you a visual learner? If you want to master crochet, this Basic Beginner Crochet Scarf is the perfect place to start.
Table of Contents
- Free Crochet Video Tutorials
- Easy Crochet Scarf Patterns for Beginners
- Easy Crochet Dishcloth Patterns and More Kitchen Crochet Projects
- Crochet Hat Patterns for Beginners
- Easy Crochet Bags and Accessories
- Easy Crochet Flowers and Bows
- Beginner Crochet Shawl Patterns
- Easy Crochet Afghan Patterns for Beginners
- Easy Crochet Rug Patterns
- Free Baby Crochet Patterns for Beginners
- Common Questions About Crochet
- More Answers to Common Crochet Questions
Free Crochet Video Tutorials
Video tutorials are the best way to learn how to crochet, just short of having someone there with you! It's better to watch crochet videos than follow a photo tutorial in most cases when you are just beginning to learn. Videos allow you to really see what a person is doing!
Thankfully, our friends at AllFreeCrochet.com have several crochet video tutorials for the most common stitches you'll find, as well as many other interesting stitches! The basic beginner tutorials are listed below.
Love these crochet stitch videos? Find even more crochet video tutorials in our collection, 11 Crochet Stitch Videos
Easy Crochet Scarf Patterns for Beginners
If you've just learned how to crochet, consider making one of these crochet scarves. Though these free crochet scarf patterns may be small in size, their impact is huge.All of these beginner crochet patterns make great gifts for a birthday, shower or holiday, so work up a few and save them for later. Once you start working on these beginner scarf patterns, you may not be able to stop.
Easy Crochet Dishcloth Patterns and More Kitchen Crochet Projects
These gorgeous projects are just waiting to be made! Create a lovely small project for the kitchen. Kitchen crochet projects are wonderful because you can make something useful and display for family members and guests! From crochet dishcloth patterns to kitchen towel toppers to stash baskets and more, these easy patterns are truly remarkable.
If you're looking for even more easy dishcloth patterns to crochet, check out our latest collection designed for the novice: 18 Free Crochet Dishcloth Patterns for Beginners
Crochet Hat Patterns for Beginners
Add a cute crocheted accessory to your wardrobe with any of these lovely projects. Learn how to crochet a hat for beginners. There are a few basic techniques you'll practice, like crocheting in the round in some cases, or learning the magic circle. Not all of them require the magic circle though, such as the Fairy Garden Beanie (ADORABLE). These free easy crochet hat patterns are an absolute must!
- Blue Beret Crochet Beanie Pattern
- Beginner One Skein East Village Slouch Hat
- Not Quite Slouchy Crochet Hat Pattern
- Great Gatsby Crochet Cloche Hat Pattern
- Basic Beginner Crochet Beanie
- Faux Mistake Rib Easy Crochet Hat
- Fairy Garden Beanie
- Pink Pompom Crochet Beanie Hat
- Easy Bucket Hat Crochet Pattern
- Crochet Mesh Roll Hat
Easy Crochet Bags and Accessories
Bags are so much fun to make, because we take them with us wherever we go! Below, find several small projects like free crochet bag patterns for beginners, crochet slippers, boot cuffs, and more. A new bag or a set of earrings may just be calling your name. Find pretty projects below.
Easy Crochet Flowers and Bows
If you want to add an adorable embellishment to your completed beginner crochet projects, this is the section for you! Learn how to crochet flowers and bows. These easy flower patterns are perfect for adding to a girl's scarf or bag, and the bows can easily be attached to headbands or barrettes for cute hair accessories! This is a wonderful opportunity to learn how to make a small crochet project that will be versatile for projects to come.
Speaking of small crochet patterns, go even smaller with our new collection of 24 Miniature Crochet Patterns! These phenomenal crochet ideas may be small in size, but they're big in detail. Get the collection: 24 Miniature Crochet Patterns
Beginner Crochet Shawl Patterns
A larger project you might be interested in diving into is a, easy crochet shawl or a wrap. These beginner crochet patterns are so much fun to work on. They're a good size---smaller than an afghan but larger than a small project like a scarf or cowl---which makes them rewarding to complete but less of a commitment than a blanket.
Enjoy perusing this collection. You might just fall in love with your new favorite project and make an accessory to wear for years to come.
Easy Crochet Afghan Patterns for Beginners
This free crochet afghan pattern is one of our most popular projects on our site, and it's no wonder why! Once you master the pattern of the first five rows, the pattern repeats and creates a simply lovely design. Afghans are wonderful projects to make. They're giant and look impressive, but are often easy enough to work on in front of your favorite TV show. Enjoy making these lovely easy crochet afghan patterns and snuggling under them when they're done!
- Arrow Stitch Crochet Afghan
- Picturesque Windows Afghan
- Fun and Fancy Double Crochet Afghan
- Early Bird Afghan
- Fairy Tale Afghan
- Lacy Open Shell Crochet Afghan Pattern
- Butterfly Wings Free Crochet Afghan Pattern
- Cozy Crochet Blanket Pattern
- Blue and White Crochet Afghan
- Weekend-Wonder Giant Granny Square Throw
- Lavender Lace Throw
- Marshmallow Fluff Afghan
- Hand Crochet Chunky Blanket
- Mandala Popcorn Granny Square
Easy Crochet Rug Patterns
Once you've mastered the smaller free crochet patterns, you can start working on these larger, crochet rug patterns! Now that you know how to crochet, dive in and get to work. Rugs make outstanding gifts, and when you have these easy crochet patterns at your disposal, you simply can't go wrong. Discover why everyone loves these patterns and try one yourself.
Free Baby Crochet Patterns for Beginners
No small pattern is quite as cute as patterns for babies! One of the most rewarding projects to crochet is a baby project, and newbies can make projects for babies, too! These free baby crochet patterns for beginners are small and easy enough that you'll be able to make a gift you're proud to give the new mom in your life.
Common Questions About Crochet
Deciding to learn to crochet is the first step in creating stunning crochet patterns that you can be proud of for years to come. While we love offering free crochet patterns, we understand that sometimes learning to crochet comes with lots and lots of questions. If you're stuck or need a little extra help? We're here to help. Click below for answers to your burning questions. Crochet patterns aren't always foolproof, so don't be afraid to reach out and look for help.
- Where does the word “crochet” come from?
- What does YO, ch, sc and dc mean?
- What is crochet in the round?
- What is a crochet granny square?
- What are the different kinds of yarn to use in crochet?
- What are the different weights of yarn indicated on crochet patterns?
- What are the best eco-friendly yarns for crochet?
- How do you hold the crochet hook and yarn?
- What is the best yarn to use when making dishcloths?
- How can I resize a crochet pattern?
- How should I wash my crochet projects once I have finished them?
- How early should I start my crochet Christmas gifts and patterns?
- What crochet tips should I know as a beginner?
More Answers to Common Crochet Questions
How do I crochet a scarf?
I'm glad you asked! Visit our complete collection of free crochet scarf patterns to find great tutorials.
What is a stitch in crochet?
A crochet stitch is the building block of any crochet project. After you've completed your chain, which is the foundation of your project, you begin crocheting "stitches". A stitch may be simple, like single crochet or double crochet, or it may be more involved, like the V stitch or crocodile stitch. Most stitches involve combinations or variants of chains and single, double, or treble crochet stitches. Learn how to do a basic single crochet stitch.
How do you make a slip knot in crochet?
There are a few ways to do this! Check out our short article on AllFreeCrochet about Beginning with a Slip Knot, or visit YouTube to get a helpful video tutorial.
What is a chain stitch in crochet?
A chain stitch is the foundation for almost any crochet project. After creating a slipknot and tightening it around your crochet hook, you will "yarn over", or loop the yarn still attached to the skein (not the other tail) over your hook. You'll catch this yarn around the hook and draw it through the knot. Yarn over again, and draw the yarn through the loop on your hook. Continue to form a chain.
What is a single crochet stitch?
This is the first type of stitch you learn after you make a chain. It is the building block to all other crochet stitches! Learn how to single crochet with this video tutorial.
How do you do a double crochet?
Follow this easy video tutorial to learn how to double crochet.
How do you make a second row in crochet?
Any of our crochet video tutorials will cover this! Simply turn your work, chain 1-5 chains depending on the "height" of your stitch (the pattern will specify), and continue crocheting.
If you are looking for more easy crochet patterns and projects, consider making one of the adorable projects found in 41 Easy Crochet Baby Blanket Patterns
Leave a Comment & Tell Us:
What questions did you have about crochet when you started OR what questions do you have now?
Tags / Related Topics
Your Recently Viewed Projects
Images from other crafters
Free projects, giveaways, exclusive partner offers, and more straight to your inbox!
Report Inappropriate Comment
Are you sure you would like to report this comment? It will be flagged for our moderators to take action.
Thank you for taking the time to improve the content on our site.
- 50+ Free Easy Crochet Patterns and Help for Beginners
- 31+ Cute Free Crochet Patterns for Babies
- Blue Slouchie Beanie
- Grey Slouchie Crochet Beanie Pattern
- Honeycomb Hat & Crochet Cowl
- Santa Claus Crochet Hat Pattern
- A Chemo Cap to Crochet
- Crocheted Hats to Donate
- Big Bloom Hat
- Crochet Newsboy Hat Pattern
Our Newest Projects & Articles
- Dr. Seuss Sneetches Costume Idea
- Quicksilver Shawlette
- Make DIY blank books from leftover notebook paper
- Refashion shorts into a skirt
- Repurposed Shutters Sign for Halloween
- Halloween Pencil Box
- 50+ Free Easy Crochet Patterns and Help for Beginners
- Tea Time
- Diamonds and Ice Mandala Coloring Page
- Emperor's Festival Adult Coloring Page
- 11 Crochet Shawl Patterns: Crochet Poncho Patterns, Free Easy Crochet Patterns and More
- 12 Knitted Scarf Patterns: Fabulous Free Knitting Patterns for Beginners
- 14 Free Crochet Patterns for Babies and Toddlers
- 16 Free Crochet Hat Patterns, Scarves, and Gloves
- 22 Free Crochet Patterns: Afghan Patterns, Crochet Hats, and More
- 24 Quick and Easy Knitting Patterns
- 7 Adult Coloring Pages
- 8 Free Apron Sewing Patterns
- Easy Lace Knitting Patterns
- Quick & Easy Decoupage: 12 Fabulous Mod Podge Projects for Your Home