We are adding the craft to your Craft Projects.
The project was added to your Craft Projects.
Fine tune your crochet skills with these Beginner Mittens for All. If you've ever wondered how to crochet mittens, these patterns from Red Heart Yarn will make you a pro in no time. This set is great for your family or give them to your neighbor for the holidays. With these instructions, you can make three pairs of mittens, one men's set, one woman's set, and one set for a child.
Making mittens when the snow is flying it one of the coziest crafts you can partake in. Whether you are making little mittens for little hands or making the pattern larger for adult hands, this how to make mittens tutorial is sure to keep your whole family warm. The long sleeves attached to this pattern make it especially perfect for extra cold days, making sure to close the chilly gap at your wrist that many other mittens fail to conquer.
Find more cozy and warm free crochet patterns in our free eBook, 16 Free Crochet Hat Patterns, Scarves, and Gloves.
How to Crochet Mittens
- Child’s Version - RED HEART® “Super Saver®”: 1 skein each 387 Soft Navy B and 984 Shaded Dusk C
- Women’s Version - RED HEART® “Super Saver®”: 1 skein each 624 Tea Leaf A and 387 Soft Navy B
- Men’s Version - RED HEART® “Super Saver®”: 1 skein 624 Tea Leaf A
- Crochet Hook: 5.5mm [US I-9]
- Stitch markers
- Yarn needle
GAUGE: 16 sc = 4”; 17 rows = 4”. CHECK YOUR GAUGE. Use any size hook to obtain the gauge.
Special Abbreviation: Sc2tog = [insert hook in next st, yo, draw yarn through st] twice, yo, draw yarn through all 3 loops on hook.
- These simple mittens are designed without a definite left or right hand and are worked in joined rounds.
- Cuffs are done in ribbed stitch rows by working sc in the back loops only. They are extra long for added warmth or can be folded at the wrist.
- Men’s mittens are worked in a solid color, Child’s and Women’s in stripe patterns as follows:
- Work in 2 row stripes for Child’s mittens, ending with 5 rounds of C at fingertips.
- Work in 1 row stripes for Women’s mittens, ending with 7 rounds of A at fingertips
Directions are for Child’s size 4/5 yrs. Changes for sizes Women’s and Men’s are in parentheses.
Child size measures 6” around x 7½” long. Women’s size measures 7½” around x 11½” long. Men’s size measures 9½” around x 12” long.
- Using C (B, A), ch 15 (21, 24).
- Row 1: Working in back loops only, sc in 2nd ch from hook and each ch across, ch 1, turn.
- Repeat Row 1 for a total of 18 (22, 24) rows.
- Fold cuff in half and join ends with slip st to form cuff. Do not fasten off.
- Round 1: Working along row ends on cuff, slip st evenly around for 18 (22, 26) sts, join round with slip st.
- Round 2: Ch 1, place marker, [sc in next 8 (10, 12) sts, 2 sc in next st] twice. Join with slip st [20 (24, 28) sts].
- Round 3: Ch 1, [sc in next 9 (11, 13) sts, 2 sc in next st] twice. Join with slip st [22 (26, 30) sts].
- Round 4: Ch 1, [sc in next 10 (12, 14) sts, 2 sc in next st] twice. Join with slip st [24 (28, 32) sts].
- Child’s size: Proceed to next step.
- Women’s size: Ch 1, [sc in next 13 sts, 2 sc in next st] twice. Join with slip st (30 sts).
- Men’s size: Ch 1, [sc in next 15 sts, 2 sc in next st] twice. Join with slip st (34 sts).
- Repeat as established, working 1 more sc before increasing each round, for 2 more rounds (38 sts).
- Next Step: Continuing with stripe/solid pattern as set, ch 1, sc in each sc around, join with slip st. Repeat for a total of 1 (3, 3) rounds.
- Next round: Ch 1, [sc in next 20 (26, 32) sts, ch 4 (5, 6), skip remaining sts and join with slip st to first st.
- Sc in each st around for 8 (10, 12) rounds [24 (31, 38) sts], decreasing 1 st on last round for Women’s size only [24 (30, 38) sts].
- Round 1: [Sc 10 (13, 17), sc2tog] twice [22 (28, 36) sts].
- Round 2: [Sc 9 (12, 16), sc2tog] twice [20 (26, 34) sts].
- Round 3: [Sc 8 (11, 15), sc2tog] twice [18 (24, 32) sts].
- Round 4: [Sc 7 (10, 14), sc2tog] twice [16 (22, 30) sts].
- Child’s size only: Sc2tog around (8 sts), fasten off. Continue with thumb.
- Round 5: Sc in each st around.
- Round 6: [Sc 9 (13), sc2tog] twice [20 (28) sts].
- Next 2 rounds: Sc2tog around [5 (7) sts]. Fasten off at end of last round.
- Round 1: Join yarn to thumb opening at st closest to upper hand, ch 1, sc in each st around, joining with slip st [8 (9, 12) sts]. Sc in each st around for 4 (7, 8) rounds.
- Next round: Sc2tog, sc to 3 sts from last st, sc last 2 sts tog [6 (7, 10) sts]. Sc2tog around, working last st as sc on Women’s size [3 (4, 5) sts]. Fasten off. Weave in ends.
For more free crochet patterns you will love, check out 51 Crochet Blanket Patterns for Beginners.
Free projects, giveaways, exclusive partner offers, and more straight to your inbox!
Your Recently Viewed Projects
Images from other crafters
Report Inappropriate Comment
Are you sure you would like to report this comment? It will be flagged for our moderators to take action.
Thank you for taking the time to improve the content on our site.
Project of the Day
"A gathered waist dress pattern is the perfect clothing item for summer! Fun and easy to sew, this women's summer dress pattern and… Continue reading: "Gathered Waist Summer Dress Pattern"
- 5 Free Patterns for Crochet Gloves with Fingers
- 47 Free Crochet Mittens Patterns
- Colorful Texting Gloves
- Warm Up Chunky Crochet Mittens
- Jersey Crochet Mitten Pattern
- Artistic Dreams Crocheted Mitts
- Crochet Shell Fingerless Gloves
- Beginner Mittens for All
- Little Fox Crochet Mittens
- Stripey Arm Warmers
Our Newest Projects & Articles
- Haylee Hand Towel
- Spaghetti Strap Top Pattern
- Teeny Tiny Mini Zipper Pouch Keyring
- Tiered Spring Mini Dress
- Free Little Black Dress Pattern
- Honey Chocolate Cowl
- C2c Jaguar
- Mirror Sparkle Ornament
- Classic Striped Dish Towel
- Crochet Wave Stitch Afghan Pattern
- 11 Crochet Shawl Patterns: Crochet Poncho Patterns, Free Easy Crochet Patterns and More
- 12 Knitted Scarf Patterns: Fabulous Free Knitting Patterns for Beginners
- 14 Free Crochet Patterns for Babies and Toddlers
- 16 Free Crochet Hat Patterns, Scarves, and Gloves
- 22 Free Crochet Patterns: Afghan Patterns, Crochet Hats, and More
- 24 Quick and Easy Knitting Patterns
- 7 Adult Coloring Pages
- 8 Free Apron Sewing Patterns
- Easy Lace Knitting Patterns
- Quick & Easy Decoupage: 12 Fabulous Mod Podge Projects for Your Home