Black Mesh Shawl
Crochet a lovely black shawl in an openwork pattern with fun crochet ball trim. Instructions to make the crochet "bobbles" are included. This crochet shawl from DMC Threads is a great way to wrap up in the evenings or dress up for an afternoon outing. Want something a little more universal? Make a shawl in beige or white so you can wear it in the summer, too! Once you get the hang of creating this fun shawl pattern, you'll want to have one in every color!
- 54 balls Senso Metallics yarn in Black
- US C/2 or D/3 (3mm) crochet hook
- 5 balls Senso Metallics yarn in Black for ball trim (optional)
- 95 clear 5/16” diameter glue on “jewels” (optional)
Size: 52” square
- Start with a treble working the first two lps only, dc3tog including one lp of treble, finish treble, dc 3x around upper part of treble.
- Step by step description: With yo twice, insert hook into ch or ch3 sp, yo and draw up 1 lp, yo and draw through 2 lps on hook, * yo, insert hook into next ch or same sp, yo and draw loop through 2 lps on hook * rep 3 x, yo and draw through 4 lps on hook, yo and draw through 2 lps on hook, yo and draw through rem 2 lps, dc 3x around the top of tr (working sts into ch refers to 1st row only, in subsequent rows all sts are worked into ch3 sp).
With Senso Metallics ch 353.
Row 1: Start a P-st in 6th ch from hook and into next 3chs, * ch3, skip 3 sts below P-st into next 4 chs * rep across to last ch, tr, ch7 & turn.
Row 2: * P-st into ch3 sp, ch3 * ep across, tr into top of t-ch, ch4 & turn.
Row 3: * P-st into ch3 sp, ch 3 * rep across ending with P-st and tr into 4th t-ch, ch 7 & turn.
Repeat rows 2 & 3 until the shawl is square, ending with a row 2.
- Fasten off.
Start away from a corner and attach yarn to the bottom of a treble along a side edge, ch2 and work dc3tog over the treble, * ch2, work 4dc bo into 2nd ch of next row’s t-ch, ch5, sl st into 3rd ch from hook, ch2, work 4dc bo into next ch, ch2, dc4tog over next tr * rep to corner (ch 2, 4dc bo, ch5, sl st into 3rd ch from hook, ch2, 4dc bo) all into top of corner st, continue along top edge ch 2, work dc4tog over ch3 sp, ch2, work 4dc bo into 2nd dc , ch5, sl st into 3rd ch from hook, ch2, work 4dc bo into next st *, rep to corner ending with dc4tog over ch3 sp.
- Repeat corners and edges to complete round, close with a sl st. Fasten off.
Make as may as are needed around the border.
- Attach yarn with a sl st to a picot along border leaving a long enough tail to weave through the chain sts and into the ball, ch12, holding the chain sts in front of the hook sc 8x into 2nd ch from hook, sc 2x into 1st sc made, sc 2x into next st 7x (16sts), continue to work in spiral rounds and sc 30x, stuff with thread. *sc2tog, sc into next st * rep until ball is closed. Fasten off.
- Glue at regular intervals around the inner edge of the shawl’s border.
bo = bobble
ch(s) = chain
dc = double crochet
dc3tog = double crochet 3 together
dc4tog = double crochet 4 together
lp(s) = loop(s)
P-st = pattern stitch
rem = remain(ing)
rep = repeat
sc = single crochet
sc2tog = single crochet 2 together
sl st = slip stitch
sp = space
sp = space
st(s) = stitch(es)
t-ch = turning chain
tr = treble
yo = yarn over
* … * = repeat instructions between asterisks as many times as directed.
Read NextYour Dusk Hooded Vest