How to Arm Knit a Scarf
Arm knitting is easy to learn when you follow easy step-by-step instructions like these.
We are adding the craft to your Craft Projects.
The project was added to your Craft Projects.
Learn how to arm knit a scarf with stunningly beautiful yarn and a helpful video tutorial! Get colorful with a vibrant new scarf made in minutes. If you've never tried arm knitting before, you're in for a treat. This is a fantastic and easy skill to learn for all ages. And it's so satisfying! You can make an arm knit scarf far more quickly than you can make a traditional knit version. Use a beautiful and colorful yarn to complete this project for a standout accessory that friends and family are sure to comment on. Be bold and have fun. This is a fantastic and helpful tutorial for beginners and expert arm knitters alike!
Yarn Weight(5) Bulky/Chunky (12-15 stitches for 4 inches)
- 3 hanks (120 yards) of Silk Chiffon Ribbon
This project was part of our National Craft Month celebration in 2019! Browse this year's BRAND NEW projects: National Craft Month 2020
Start with a Slip Knot.
co 19 stitches - Place finger & thumb together and insert through the 2 strands. Grab the tails with the remaining fingers.
Flip hand to left in a “sling shot” position.
Go under the strand on your thumb, over and under the strand on your other finger.
Pull the strand back through the loop you entered from. See photos below.
Hold yarn with right hand
Pass first stitch over and off hand (while still holding on to the working yarn).
Insert left hand through loop (with strand from ball closest to you) slipping loop onto left arm. Repeat for remaining stitches until all stitches have been transferred to the left arm
Row 2: Hold yarn with left hand
Pass first stitch over and off hand (while still holding on to the working yarn)
Insert right hand through loop (with working yarn strand closest to you) slipping loop onto right arm. Repeat for remaining stitches until all stitches have been transferred to the right arm. Repeat Rows 1 & 2 for a total of 16 rows.
Repeat the same steps as if you’re knitting moving only 2 stitches from the right to left arm. Pass the first stitch over the stitch you just worked and drop.
Knit the next stitch from your right arm normally, and pass the stitch on the left over the just knitted stitch and drop. Continue to bind off stitch by stitch until only one stitch remains on your left hand.
Cut yarn double the length of the edge (19 stitches). Run end through the remaining loop on your left arm and tighten to secure. Working with the right side of the work up, fold up both edges in. Use your hands to sew the edges together along the long edge (19 stitches). Tie a few knots to secure.
Weave the ends on the inside of your work and secure.
Turn cowl right side out and enjoy!
Who will you teach to arm knit using this technique?
Free projects, giveaways, exclusive partner offers, and more straight to your inbox!
Your Recently Viewed Projects
- High Style Knit Cowl Pattern
- Color Dip Scarf
- The Milan Scarf Knitting Pattern
- Knit Two Hours or Less Scarf
- 29 Free Knit Scarf Patterns Using Bulky Yarn
- Cozy Weekend Infinity Knit Scarf Pattern
- Soft and Smoky Potato Chip Scarf
- Easy Peasy Loop-It Scarf Pattern
- How to Arm Knit a Scarf
- Best Yarn for Scarves
Our Newest Projects & Articles
- Aldi Reusable Shopping Bag
- Printable Sports Word Scramble
- C2c Heart Hat
- Easy Wrap Dress Free Sewing Pattern
- Striped Hourglass Area Rug
- Winding Cables Hat
- Seeing Stripes Shawl
- Hashtag Slouchy
- Dragon Wing Cowl
- A Quick Guide To Snap Fasteners For Clothing Or Bags
- 11 Crochet Shawl Patterns: Crochet Poncho Patterns, Free Easy Crochet Patterns and More
- 12 Knitted Scarf Patterns: Fabulous Free Knitting Patterns for Beginners
- 14 Free Crochet Patterns for Babies and Toddlers
- 16 Free Crochet Hat Patterns, Scarves, and Gloves
- 22 Free Crochet Patterns: Afghan Patterns, Crochet Hats, and More
- 24 Quick and Easy Knitting Patterns
- 7 Adult Coloring Pages
- 8 Free Apron Sewing Patterns
- Easy Lace Knitting Patterns
- Quick & Easy Decoupage: 12 Fabulous Mod Podge Projects for Your Home