Blue and White Checkerboard Rug
This Blue and White Checkerboard Rug from Coats & Clark is a great way to practice your crochet skills. Make this rug for your living room or bathroom or give it as a gift to a family member or friend. Great for beginners and advanced crocheters alike, this easy crochet pattern works up quickly and is a great decoration for any room in your home.
- 3 balls Red Heart Eco-Cotton™ Blend” yarn in Denim (A)
- 3 balls Red Heart Eco-Cotton™ Blend” yarn in Snow (B)
- 6.5 mm [US K-10.5] and 6 mm [US J-10] crochet hooks
- Yarn needle
Gauge: 9 sts = 4”; 8 rows = 3” in pattern with larger hook and 2 strands held together. CHECK YOUR GAUGE. Use any size hook to obtain the gauge.
Rug measures 24” wide x 31” long without fringe.
Work with 2 strands held together throughout.
Strip 1 (Make 3)
With larger hook and A ch 12 loosely.
Row 1 (Right Side): Draw up a loop in 2nd ch from hook and in next ch, yo and draw through all 3 loops on hook, * draw up a loop in same ch as last leg of last st and in next ch, yo and through all 3 loops on hook; repeat from * across; sc in same ch as last leg of last st; turn – 11 sts.
Row 2: Ch 1, draw up a loop in first 2 sts, yo and draw through all 3 loops on hook, * draw up a loop in same st as last leg of last st and in next st, yo and through all 3 loops on hook; repeat from * across; sc in same st as last leg of last st; turn – 11 sts.
- Rows 3-12: Repeat row 2 changing to B in last sc of Row 12. Now work 12 rows in pattern with B, then 12 rows with A. Repeat the last 24 rows twice more – 7 blocks. Fasten off.
Strip 2 (Make 2)
- Work same as Strip 1 reversing color placement.
Sew strips together as pictured. With right side facing, smaller hook and A, work 1 rnd sc evenly around rug working 3 sc in each corner; join. Fasten off.
Weave in ends.
- Cut 7” lengths of A and knot into a fringe on each short end of rug. Trim.
Read NextLacy Doily T Shirt Yarn Rug