Instead of tossing those old wine bottles, use them in a variety of wine bottle crafts. You can create lamps, decorative vases, and hurricanes from old wine bottles, and there are many other things to make with wine bottles. Don't forget to save the corks, too!
To remove the labels from wine bottles, soak them in hot water with a few drops of soap for 20 minutes. Then, simply scrape or peel off the label. You can also keep the wine label intact and create lovely wall art (especially with those fancy French wine labels).
10 Things to Do With Old Wine Bottles
Table of Contents
Our collection of 20 Crafts for Wine Bottles provides more great ways to recycle an empty wine bottle.
Top 10 Ideas for Wine Bottle Crafts
- Create a Faux Dichroic Glass Recycled Bottle and give your old wine bottles a unexpected look. The fancy bottle can be used to store homemade oils or vinegars, or you can display it as a decorative vase. If you're looking for things to do with old wine bottles, this is the perfect project.
- Turn an empty wine bottle into a Recycled Bottle Lamp. To do this, you need a 1/2-inch glass, tile drill bit or diamond bit, and a string of mini lights. Lay the clean and dry bottle on a cloth.
- After washing and removing labels, fill the empty bottle with bulk dishwashing liquid or a few stems of silk flowers, as seen with the Extraordinary Vase Craft with Recycled Glass.
- Turn wine bottles into drinking glasses or Beaded Glass Votice Candle Holders. Flat-bottomed bottles of certain white wine varieties or Bordeaux wines are best for making drinking glasses. You can even add etched monograms for that extra-classy touch.
- Cut off the top and bottom of a wine bottle to create candle “hurricanes.” Use a bit of wire to create a holder for a tea light or small pillar candle. If you're looking for more things to do with old wine bottles, you can even make Tuscan Lights Candlesticks.
- Use wine bottles to create garden edges. Bury upside down about halfway up or further. For another garden idea, learn about the great Southern tradition of bottle trees.
- Fill with layers of colored sand and set on a windowsill to recall the beach.
- Use as decorative containers for flavored olive oils, such as by adding dried chilies, sun dried tomatoes, dried basil, or rosemary. You can purchase a plastic pour spout for the bottle top.
- Create your own Chalkboard Paint Bottles and write inspiring words or phrases on each one.
- Turn an old wine bottle into a Green Pendant Wind Chime. You can use the spout or simply cut off the bottom of the wine bottle and use a shell or other weight for the chime.
Looking for even more reasons to indulge in a glass of wine? Be sure to download your own free copy of 25 Cool Things to Do with Wine Bottles, a free eBook filled with great ideas for reusing old bottles and corks. One look at this eBook and you'll never look at your glass bottles the same way again!
More Wine Bottle Crafts
If you liked our Top 10 Ideas for Wine Bottle Crafts, you'll love these bonus projects. It can be difficult to figure out what to do with empty wine bottles, but that's where these eco-friendly and inexpesive wine bottle crafts come in. Check out these easy tutorials and make some crafts for home, garden, parties, and more.
Wine makes a fabulous hostess gift or housewarming present...and we've got the perfect projects to help you wrap up that bottle! From sewn projects to crocheted projects, this collection of 11 Ways to Wrap Wine Bottles will help you add that special touch to your wine gift.
Crafts with Corks
Now that you've made some fabulous crafts out of wine bottles, what should you do with the corks you've been saving? These DIY cork projects can be just for fun or totally useful, depending on your needs. You can use wine corks to make pieces of home decor as well as everyday items like keychains. Once you've tried some of these cute crafts with corks, you'll start collecting these bottle stoppers in earnest.
Get ready for indoor and outdoor entertaining with these extra 10 Clever Wine Bottle Crafts.