Plastic Crafting: 25 Ways to Reuse Plastic
Find unexpected ways to reuse plastic bottles, recycled plastic grocery bags, and more!
We are adding the craft to your Craft Projects.
The project was added to your Craft Projects.
Do not toss that plastic bag, bottle, or empty jewel case! Discover plastic crafts that will blow your mind.
Turn trash plastic into decorative accents for your home, functional tools, or fun activities for kids or adults. Reduce your household plastic waste by crafting with plastic instead of throwing it away. The more you look for ways to reuse plastic, the more aware you will be of how much plastic you encounter and toss in your normal life. With your favorite hobby, you can send less plastic to the landfill.
This collection includes plastic bag crafts, water bottle crafts, and other ways to reuse plastic. Don't miss your chance to incorporate some plastic crafting into your next rainy day! These darling tutorials are must-make ideas for your and your family.
PLUS: Are you a visual learner? Use old (or new) plastic spoons to make these Plastic Spoon Roses.
Table of Contents
Recycled Plastic Bag Crafts
- Recycled Plarn Tote Bag
Learn how to make plarn and then crochet this fantastic tote bag! It's easy, sturdy, and fun.
- How to Make Plarn, Plastic Bag Yarn Knit Tote Pattern
This article includes tutorials and resources for making plarn as well as instructions for how to make a knit version of a plarn tote bag.
- Plastic Bag Wreath
This tutorial is such a classic! Kids love the repetitive motion of tying plastic bags around a wreath form or coat hanger to make an easy DIY wreath.
- Recycled Plastic Bag Snowman Portrait
This is an adorable winter craft for kids! Turn those plastic bags into your new favorite January decoration and make this snowman.
- Heart on the Sleeve Bracelet
Look closer---can you believe this project is made from plastic bags? At first it looks just like regular yarn, but this accessory is made from recycled materials.
- Haunted DIY Yard Decor
Hang that plastic bag in your trees. No, really! Draw ghost faces on your plastic bags for an easy and cute Halloween decoration.
- Punch Art Flower Garden
Kids or adults can create flowers by cutting circles out of plastic bags, for decorating art or accessories. This plastic craft is simple and sweet.
How to Crochet a Plastic Bag Door Mat
Materials: plastic grocery bags, J hook, scissors
- Cut the bags into 2 inch strips and tie them together, leaving about a 2-3 inch tail.
- Use a J hook and chain the width.
- Double crochet in each chain, chain three and turn.
- Crochet each row the same until an acceptable length.
- Pull all the tails to one side of the mat, so that the rug has a shag look to it and the other side is flat.
- When it gets dirty, you can wash it by just spraying it with water. You can also place it in the washing machine on the delicate setting.
Sewing Plastic Bags
Fusing- Fuse plastic bags into a sturdy sewing material.
- Select three to four plastic bags. Turn the plastic bags inside out and layer one on top of the layer. Sandwich plastic layers between pieces of parchment paper.
- Run a hot iron over the top, moving the iron constantly. Quickly iron one side, including the edges, flip over and iron the other side.
- Carefully peel back the parchment to make sure the plastic has fused into one layer.
- You can use this sturdy material in sewing projects, including reusable tote bags for shopping.
If you love the ideas above, check out our entire collection of 11 Plastic Bag Crafts
Ways to Reuse Plastic Bottles
- Dollar Store DIY Desk Organizers
This tutorial features recyled spray bottles that might have a broken nozzle or some other flaw. Cut them in half and soften the edges for easy and colorful bathroom organizers.
- Plastic Bottle Hanging Planters
Plasting crafting doesn't get much prettier than this! In your quest to find ways to reuse plastic, these hanging planters should be at the top of your list.
- DIY Stress Relief Bottle
Calm yourself, your child, or your grandchild down with this fun toy. This video tutorial includes a simple recipe for making the prettiest glitter bottles you've ever seen.
- Charging Station Recycled Craft
Have you ever set your phone down to charge and totally lost it under a pile of papers? Ensure your phone remains visible when you put it in its proper place: this plastic bottle charging station.
- Secretly Cheap DIY Flower Vase
A bit of gold spray paint goes a LONG way! This plastic bottle craft is almost too pretty to be true.
- Pink Flower Water Bottle Bracelets
If you cut rings out of your water bottles, they are the perfect size for bracelets! Learn how to make bangles decorated with pretty pink flowers for summer.
- Plastic Bottle Birdfeeder
Cut out a 2-inch circle 3 inches from the bottom of 2-liter bottle. Fill bottom of bottle with birdseed and hang outside. For something a little fancier, check out this Plastic Bottle Birdfeeder craft.
- Plastic Pumpkin Luminaries
Cut off the tops of plastic bottles, paint them and add sand and a candle to the bottom to create luminaries. Light up your walkway on Halloween with orange and yellow Pumpkin Luminaries. Painting around contact paper allows you to add a jack-o-lantern face to the Halloween plastic bottles, but you can use the same technique to add stars and other designs to the luminaries the rest of the year.
For even more unique ways to reuse old water bottles, check out 42 Easy Water Bottle Crafts
How to Make Bottle Cap Ornaments
Kids can use the lids of plastic bottles to create cute little Christmas ornaments. Kids can first
- Paint the bottle lids in red or green
- Rub glue over the inside of the bottle lid and sprinkle the inside with glitter or sequins. Note: To secure the sequins, cut out one bubble from large-size bubble wrap. Rub glue over the inside sides of the bottle lip and slide the bubble into the cap over the sequins.
- Secure a ribbon or yarn around the lid to hang
Other Ways to Reuse Plastic
- Repurposed Plastic Milk Jug Flower Garlands
STOP! This craft is too pretty to pass up. This is one of those ways to reuse plastic that is so gorgeous you can hardly believe this started off as a milk jug!
- Stunningly Beautiful Pill Bottle Lamp
Got pill bottles? If you have a bunch left over in a drawer somewhere, they can make their way into your crafting! This gorgeous tutorial will make an incredible accent for your home.
- Dishwasher Pod Container Recycled Planter
Yep, you can even use dishwasher pod containers in your crafting. A yellow chalk paint transforms this project into a cheerful vase.
- Upcycled Ladybug Storage Jars
The lids of peanut butter jars lend themselves well to transforming into ladybugs! With a few dots of black, that red lid becomes a cute ladybug jar for storage.
- Milk Jug First Aid Kit
This craft is so clever! It's amazing that you can cut down and reshape your milk jug into a simple box for your bandages and other first aid equipment.
- Bottle Cap Christmas Art
Isn't this too cute? Make a frameable Christmas tree from green bottlecaps. The ribbon bow tree topper is an adorable finishing touch.
- Mini DIY Dream Catcher
A plastic cup is your best friend when it comes to making a perfectly circular dream catcher! Kids will love this tutorial.
- Plastic Spoon Garden Markers
This is one of our most popular plastic crafting tutorials! Use colorful plastic spoons to make bright garden markers this spring.
- Bread Tag Jazzy Jewelry
Yes, even bread tags can be saved and used for a craft project. Paint the bread tags with black acrylic paint, let dry and decorate with metallic dimensional paint. These can be turned into a long necklace, earrings or a charm bracelet. Kids will also love this craft.
- CD Case Picture Frame
Jewel Case Picture Frame- Turn jewel cases into picture frames. Pull a jewel case apart into two pieces and use ribbon to create a frame around the outside edges. Ribbon fits conveniently into the inside tabs and can be held with a small amount of glue at the corners. Decorate with buttons, flowers and/or other embellishments. You can also make a 2-part hanging picture frame with both pieces of a jewel case.
Why throw away plastic and metal bottle caps when you could use them to create something beautiful and new? Check out this collection for even more plastic bottle cap crafts— 27 Bottle Cap Crafts
How do you craft with plastic? Tell us about it in the comments below!
Free projects, giveaways, exclusive partner offers, and more straight to your inbox!
Tags / Related Topics
Your Recently Viewed Projects
Images from other crafters
Report Inappropriate Comment
Are you sure you would like to report this comment? It will be flagged for our moderators to take action.
Thank you for taking the time to improve the content on our site.
- 12+ Laundry Detergent Bottle Crafts
- Coffee Pot Homemade Terrarium
- Pill Bottle Survival Kit
- Kid Friendly Stamp Toilet Paper Roll Craft
- Succulent Wine Cork Planter Magnets
- Recycled No-Scratch Doorstops
- Christmas Acorn Garland
- Upcycle Thrift Store Plates
- Tweed And Tartan Mini Trees
- Mason Jar Lid Crafts
Our Newest Projects & Articles
- Gnome Tissue Box Cover
- Throwback Thursday Free Pattern- Easy Laptop Case
- How To Sew A Professional Looking Gusset Zipper In A Bag
- How To Make Perfect Bound Lining In A Bag
- I Spy Sports
- I Spy Outer Space
- Winter Kids Scarf
- 42 Things To Do With The Elf On The Shelf
- How To Make Sanda Frost From Paper?
- Color Block (or Not) Earrings
- 11 Crochet Shawl Patterns: Crochet Poncho Patterns, Free Easy Crochet Patterns and More
- 12 Knitted Scarf Patterns: Fabulous Free Knitting Patterns for Beginners
- 14 Free Crochet Patterns for Babies and Toddlers
- 16 Free Crochet Hat Patterns, Scarves, and Gloves
- 22 Free Crochet Patterns: Afghan Patterns, Crochet Hats, and More
- 24 Quick and Easy Knitting Patterns
- 7 Adult Coloring Pages
- 8 Free Apron Sewing Patterns
- Easy Lace Knitting Patterns
- Quick & Easy Decoupage: 12 Fabulous Mod Podge Projects for Your Home