How to Set Tie Dye in Fabric
Before you wear and wash your tie dye projects, use this how to set fabric dye tutorial to ensure that all your beautiful colors do not run.
We are adding the craft to your Craft Projects.
The project was added to your Craft Projects.
Since tie dye projects involve lots of wear and tear after the fact, the aftercare of a tie dye project is almost as important of a skill as those crazy, cool tie dye techniques you use to create stunning tie dye designs. If you cannot keep your tie dye from fading, it can be hard to show off those artistic skills. While it is important to learn how to wash your tie dye shirts after the fact (and for the rest of their brightly-colored lives), these techniques can prove fruitless if you do not know how to set fabric dye into your tie dye projects after you've learned how to tie dye.
In general, if you are using quality tie dye product for your projects, fading should not present too much of an issue. Despite this, it is still a smart idea to take precautionary measures. This is especially true if you are creating tie dye projects with kids. Kids can wear out clothing quickly and with gusto. They also become attached to things they created on their own. Using these methods to prevent tie dye from fading can save you some heartbreak down the line.
Luckily for you, this process is insanely easy and takes minimal effort. Follow the instructions below to learn How to Set Tie Dye in Fabric and prevent your tie dye patterns from fading. The full tutorial below tells you everything you need to know about post-tie dye rituals. In addition to setting the dye, follow the link below for washing tie dye projects after creating them.
Check out our list of tie dye designs and other tie dye techniques to try for all your tie dye needs. These ideas are stunning, unique, and perfect for a day of dyeing fun: 100+ Tie Dye Patterns and Techniques
How to Prevent Tie Dye from Fading
Setting tie dye is easy. All you need to do to set tie dye into your projects and prevent your projects from fading is soak the project overnight in vinegar before washing it in the machine. Follow the how to prevent tie dye from fading instructions below to set your fabric dye perfectly.
Fill a large bucket with 1-2 cups of white vinegar depending on the size of your garment and bucket.
Add cool water to the bucket, leaving a few inches at the top.
Swish the water around a few times to make sure the vinegar and water combine.
Place your tie dye project into the bucket.
Allow to soak for AT least 30 minutes.
Remove the garment from the bucket. Wring out.
Washing Tie Dye Projects for the First Time
Wondering how to wash a tie dye shirt for the first time? Vinegar is your friend here, too. Wash your tie dye project in the washing machine with ½ cup of table salt and 1 cup white vinegar to further set the dye.
- Wash each and every tie dye project alone for the first time. Do not combine several tie dye projects in the washer in hopes of saving time and money. The projects may run and blend dyes in the machine, causing an unattractive brown shade
- In general, if you are using a high quality tie dye like Tulip that is specifically designed for this process, this setting process is simply an extra measure. These dyes are especially designed to set into your fabric chemically and should remain bright and beautiful.
- Now that you have learned how to set your dye, check out our taking care of tie dye tutorial. This tutorial tells you exactly how to wash your tie dye projects from first to last wash. If you want to prevent your tie dye from fading, this tutorial is a must-have: How to Wash Tie Dye Shirts and Projects
Unique Tie Dye Patterns
Although people often think tie dyeing is exclusively for clothing, it's also great for home decor! With this shibori tie dye pattern, you'll have colorful pillows that'll brighten up the room.
Do you have an old and plain scarf sitting in your drawer? Instead of throwing it away, revamp your scarf with this tie dyeing tutorial. This tie dye pattern is so subtle that it matches any outfit.
Canva shoes are a staple piece in everyone's wardrobe, but after a while, these shoes start to look a little boring. So, make your shoes a little more exciting with this tie dyeing technique!
Did you know that you can even tie dye your tea towels? We did, and it's so much fun! Check out this tie dyeing tutorial if you're looking for a fun and stylish way to decorate your kitchen.
Whether it's winter or spring you can never go wrong with tie dye. With this video tutorial, you can learn to make a cool tie dye hoodie that's perfect for every season!
If you have a pile of old clothes in the attic, it's always best to refashion them rather than throw them out. With this tie dye technique, you can transform your old t-shirts into a hip and trendy shirt!
Your Recently Viewed Projects
Images from other crafters
Free projects, giveaways, exclusive partner offers, and more straight to your inbox!
Report Inappropriate Comment
Are you sure you would like to report this comment? It will be flagged for our moderators to take action.
Thank you for taking the time to improve the content on our site.
100+ Tie Dye Patterns and Techniques
How to Tie Dye Instructions: A Step-by-Step Guide
How to Set Tie Dye in Fabric
Salt Resist Tie Dye Technique
Swirl Tie Dye Technique
50 Tie Dye Craft Projects and How to Tie Dye
Bullseye Tie Dye Technique
How to Wash Tie Dye Shirts and Projects
How to Remove Tie Dye from Skin
Crumple Tie Dye Technique
Our Newest Projects & Articles
- 33 Succulent Crafts: Pretty Planters and Terrariums
- 7 Sunflower Coloring Pages for Adults
- Pumpkin Button Wall Art
- Moss Stitch Crochet Scarf Pattern
- Cities Circle Crochet Bag
- Country Crochet Pumpkins
- 8" Tapestry Candy Corn Afghan Square
- Smiling Pumpkins Pillow
- Baby Kitty Costume
- Easy DIY Summer Tote Bag
- 11 Crochet Shawl Patterns: Crochet Poncho Patterns, Free Easy Crochet Patterns and More
- 12 Knitted Scarf Patterns: Fabulous Free Knitting Patterns for Beginners
- 14 Free Crochet Patterns for Babies and Toddlers
- 16 Free Crochet Hat Patterns, Scarves, and Gloves
- 22 Free Crochet Patterns: Afghan Patterns, Crochet Hats, and More
- 24 Quick and Easy Knitting Patterns
- 7 Adult Coloring Pages
- 8 Free Apron Sewing Patterns
- Easy Lace Knitting Patterns
- Quick & Easy Decoupage: 12 Fabulous Mod Podge Projects for Your Home