We are adding the craft to your Craft Projects.
The project was added to your Craft Projects.
This easy knitting pattern creates a pair of fingerless gloves with a lovely cable running down the length. These fingerless gloves or fingerless mittens make for a quick and easy knitting project.
Find this project and other patterns for fingerless gloves in our roundup of 16 Free Knitting Patterns for Mittens.
- Caron International's Simply Soft (100% acrylic; 6 oz/170 g, 315 yds/288 m skein):
- Shown in #9722 Plum Wine
- One pair each size US 6 and 7 (4 and 4.5 mm)
- Yarn needle
- Cable needle (cn)
- Stitch markers
- Stitch holders
Size: Woman's Medium/Large, Glove measures approximately 4" wide by 14" long
Gauge: In Stockinette st, 18 sts and 22 rows = 4"/10 cm, using larger needles
C4B: Slip 2 sts to cn, hold to back, k2, k2 from cn.
C4F: Slip 2 sts to cn, hold to front, k2, k2 from cn.
k1-f/b: Knit next st through the front loop, then through the back loop to increase 1 st.
Stockinette stitch (St st): Knit on RS, purl on WS
1X1 rib (multiple of 2 sts)
Row 1 (RS): * K1, p1; rep from * across.
Row 2: Knit the knit sts and purl the purl sts as they face you.
Repeat Row 2 for 1X1 rib.
Cable/Moss Stitch (Panel of 22 sts)
Row 1 (RS): [K1, p1] 4 times, pm; k6; pm, [p1, k1] 4 times.
Row 2 and all WS rows: Knit the knit sts and purl the purl sts as they face you.
Row 3: [P1, k1] 3 times, p2; C4F, k2; p2, [k1, p1] 3 times.
Row 5: [K1, p1] 4 times; k2, C4B; [p1, k1] 4 times.
Row 6: Repeat Row 2.
Repeat Rows 3 – 6 for Cable/Moss st.
- To cast on loosely: Cast on with larger needles, then change to smaller needles for working rib.
- Place a marker (pm), each side of 6-st Cable, and between Cable/Moss panel and St st.
Beginning at upper edge, using smaller needles, loosely CO 44 sts. (RS) Begin 1 x 1 rib; work even for 10 rows, end WS row.
Change to larger needles.
Establish Pattern: (RS) Work Row 1 of Cable/Moss st across 22 sts, pm; change to St st, work to end. Continue as established, work Rows 2 – 6 of Cable/Moss st once, then repeat Rows 3 – 6, and keep remaining sts in St st; work even until piece measures 10" from beginning, end with a RS row.
Shape Palm: (WS) Dec 4 sts evenly across St st panel; work to end—40 sts remain; 22 in Cable/Moss, 18 in St st.
Change to smaller needles.
Establish Thumb Gusset: (RS) Work across to marker; [k1-f/b] twice; pm, work to end in St st—42 sts; 4 sts in St st for Thumb Gusset between markers.
(WS) * Work 1 row even.
(RS) Work across to marker; k1-f/b in st after marker, knit across to last 2 sts before second marker, k1-f/b, k1; work to end—6 sts between Thumb Gusset markers.
Repeat from * 4 times, end with a RS row—14 sts between markers.
Thumb: (WS) Work across to marker, place sts of St st panel on holder; work 14 sts of Thumb Gusset, turn; leave remaining 22 sts unworked (place on holder, if desired).
(RS) Working on 14 sts of Thumb only, work even for 4 rows in St st. Change to 1 x 1 rib; work even for 4 rows. Bind off all Thumb sts loosely in rib. Fasten off yarn.
Hand: With WS facing, using smaller needles, place St st panel from holder on needle; cast on 2 sts (under Thumb Gusset); work across 22 sts of Cable/Moss panel.
(RS) Continue in Pattern as established; work even for 4 rows, end with a WS row.
(RS) Change to 1 x 1 rib; work even for 4 rows.
Bind off all sts loosely in rib.
Using smaller needles, loosely CO 44 sts. (RS) Begin 1 x 1 rib; work even for 10 rows, end WS row.
Change to larger needles.
Establish Pattern: (RS) Work 22 sts in St st, pm; change to Cable/Moss st, work Row 1 across remaining 22 sts. Continue as for Right Glove, reversing shaping by beginning Thumb Gusset 2 sts before the marker separating the panels.
FINISHING: Sew side seams. Weave in ends.
Free projects, giveaways, exclusive partner offers, and more straight to your inbox!
Your Recently Viewed Projects
Report Inappropriate Comment
Are you sure you would like to report this comment? It will be flagged for our moderators to take action.
Thank you for taking the time to improve the content on our site.
Project of the Day
Give your crochet patterns a decadent look with this Cathedral Window Granny Square. This free crochet pattern makes a granny square… Continue reading: "Cathedral Window Granny Square"
- 16 Free Knitting Patterns for Mittens
- Mittens for the Whole Family
- Beginner Montgomery Fingerless Mitts
- Pretty Cable Mittens
- Wicked Knit Mittens
- Starburst Fingerless Gloves Knitting Pattern
- Easy Wrist Warmers
- Boucle Mittens and Matching Beret
- Fingerless Cable Gloves
- Pom Pom Trimmed Fingerless Gloves
Our Newest Projects & Articles
- Meandering Wisconsin ~ A Picnic Quilt Pattern
- Sew A Throw Pillow
- Flower Parade
- Diy Floral Photo Booth Frame
- Diy Vertical Faux Succulent Garden
- Diy Frame Shelf
- Textured Canvas Wall Art
- Diy Americana Shadow Box
- Blue Lagoon Crochet Placemat
- Giraffe Print
- 11 Crochet Shawl Patterns: Crochet Poncho Patterns, Free Easy Crochet Patterns and More
- 12 Knitted Scarf Patterns: Fabulous Free Knitting Patterns for Beginners
- 14 Free Crochet Patterns for Babies and Toddlers
- 16 Free Crochet Hat Patterns, Scarves, and Gloves
- 22 Free Crochet Patterns: Afghan Patterns, Crochet Hats, and More
- 24 Quick and Easy Knitting Patterns
- 7 Adult Coloring Pages
- 8 Free Apron Sewing Patterns
- Easy Lace Knitting Patterns
- Quick & Easy Decoupage: 12 Fabulous Mod Podge Projects for Your Home