Roman Holiday Fingerless Mittens
We are adding the craft to your Craft Projects.
The project was added to your Craft Projects.
I lost the tag for the yarn that I made these from, but I remember the color way was called Audrey Hepburn, which inspired the name for these.
These fingerless mitts are a good beginner project with an easy to remember pattern stitch. They work up quickly so they are a lovely idea for a last minute gift. As the pattern stitch is worked all the way around, there is no difference between the left and right hand mitts. The cables can easily be done without a cable needle, or using a spare double pointed needle, if you don't want to use a cable needle. I designed these on double pointed needles, but this can easily be adapted for any other method that you prefer.
Learn how to make a variety of gloves and mittens projects in our roundup of 16 Free Knitting Patterns for Mittens.
- Yarn: Approx 100 yards of worsted weight
- Gauge: 12 stitches and 12 rows = 2" in pattern stitch
- Needles: 5mm (Size 8 US) double pointed needles
- Notions: Stitch marker, small amount of waste yarn in contrast color
(Note: The mitt will seem narrow, but stretches once put on. The gauge is based on the size of the mitt before it is stretched.)
C4B: Slip next two stitches onto cable needle and hold at back of work. K2 from left needle, then 2 from the cable needle.
C4F: Slip next two stitches onto cable needle and hold at front of work. K2 from left needle, then 2 from the cable needle.
Make two mitts as follows:
CO 36 stitches. Place marker and join in the round being careful not to twist.
Work K2, P2 ribbing for 10 rows.
Begin pattern stitch:
Row 1-2: Knit
Row 3: C4B, K2 repeat around
Row 4-6: Knit
Row 7: K2, C4F repeat around
Row 8: Knit
Repeat rows 1-8 of pattern stitch three times. (Do 2 repeats for shorter mitt, or additional repeats for longer mitt).
Create space for thumb:
At beginning of next row, knit first 6 stitches onto waste yarn.
(Note: I recommend using a yarn that is a very different color from your main yarn so that it is easily visible.)
Put the 6 stitches just knit onto the waste yarn back on left needle, as if starting the beginning of the row.
Using main yarn, knit rows 1-8 of the pattern stitch once more.
Work K2, P2 ribbing for 4 rows and bind off loosely.
Carefully pull out the waste yarn and place the 12 live stitches back on your needles.
Pick up one additional stitch in each corner (14 stitches total) and arrange evenly on the needles.
Join main yarn and knit around for 6 rows.
Bind off loosely and weave in all ends.
Free projects, giveaways, exclusive partner offers, and more straight to your inbox!
Your Recently Viewed Projects
Report Inappropriate Comment
Are you sure you would like to report this comment? It will be flagged for our moderators to take action.
Thank you for taking the time to improve the content on our site.
Project of the Day
"Make a fashion statement with this modern T-shirt yarn necklace. This accessory will look well with a simple shirt, or wear it when… Continue reading: "Royal Purple T-Shirt Yarn Necklace"
- Beginner Montgomery Fingerless Mitts
- 16 Free Knitting Patterns for Mittens
- Mittens for the Whole Family
- Roman Holiday Fingerless Mittens
- Easy Wrist Warmers
- Quick Adorable Fingerless Gloves
- Fingerless Cable Gloves
- Starburst Fingerless Gloves Knitting Pattern
- Chunky Mittens Knitting Pattern
- Fingerless Gloves
Our Newest Projects & Articles
- Allemande Coasters - Tunisian Striped Mitered Coasters
- Patriotic Pinwheels
- One For All Basic Crochet Finger Puppet Pattern
- Large Crochet Mesh Market Bag
- Printable Beach Scavenger Hunt For Kids
- Reindeer Gift Bag
- Printable Desserts Word Scramble
- Dinosaur Felt Bag
- Diy Dinosaur Sweatshirt Sewing Tutorial
- C2c Sloth
- 11 Crochet Shawl Patterns: Crochet Poncho Patterns, Free Easy Crochet Patterns and More
- 12 Knitted Scarf Patterns: Fabulous Free Knitting Patterns for Beginners
- 14 Free Crochet Patterns for Babies and Toddlers
- 16 Free Crochet Hat Patterns, Scarves, and Gloves
- 22 Free Crochet Patterns: Afghan Patterns, Crochet Hats, and More
- 24 Quick and Easy Knitting Patterns
- 7 Adult Coloring Pages
- 8 Free Apron Sewing Patterns
- Easy Lace Knitting Patterns
- Quick & Easy Decoupage: 12 Fabulous Mod Podge Projects for Your Home