Soda Can Butterfly Pin
Here are some genius Sizzix ideas from Eileen Hull to use with an old soda can. You've got to love soda can crafts because they're both thrifty and eco-friendly!
**Note: If you have bought this Butterfly die and it looks different than the one used in the video- you got one of the limited editions! There are two versions of this design but both work great to make the same project. New video coming soon to show the how-to. Thanks for your interest in my Sizzix dies!**
You can find many more ways to use pop cans in our article, 18 Crafty Uses for Pop Cans.
- Soda can
- Butterfly Die
- Latex Gloves
- Alcohol ink
- Foam applicator
- Glye dot strip
- Pin back
- Cut soda (or beer) can top and bottom off, then cut down the middle of remaining piece.
- Place opened can on die and run through die cut machine using Butterfly die.
- Run butterfly shapes through a Textured Impression folder.
- Lay die cut butterflies on non-stick craft mat and put on latex gloves- this gets messy! Ink foam applicator with three colors of alcohol ink, and sponge on, blending and covering until you have desired look.
- Bend wings up in middle. Add glue dot strip down the middle of the bottom butterfly and add top piece.
- Use glue dot strip to adhere pinback and you are done! Place in a pretty box or on a card.
Learn how to make a Soda Can Butterfly:
Read NextGold DIY Mason Jar Flower Vase
Tags / Related Topics
Your Recently Viewed Projects
Jun 18, 2013
I'd also like to know how you dealt with the sharp edges on this project. Can they be sanded or smoothed in some way?
rhiannajockisch 40 46296
Dec 26, 2012
Cool idea, what is a die cut machine and how much are they?
Apr 24, 2012
This is really pretty - my concern is sharp edges from using the soda cans. Are the edges sharp?
Mar 21, 2012
The die I used is the Sizzix ScoreBoard Butterfly- #657121 at Sizzix.com. Thanks for your comments everyone!
Mar 21, 2012
What die did you use for this?
BrendaScott13 1760 400
Jan 18, 2012
Do you know of any other die cut machines that will cut dyes from a pop can?
Jan 02, 2012
Dear Eileen, Fabulous! So far you have come from being my Park Avenue, Watertown, NY. neighbor, to an featured multi media artist and author. Too bad that we have lost touch, but times change, and I wish you continued success, and happiness. My best to you, Hayward, Christopher, Pamela, Jessica, and Maryanne. Always, Fern Porter
Jan 08, 2012
Dear fmmarymk, Do you know what the name of the Dye cut machine that makes the butterfly from a soda can is called?
Mar 21, 2012
Hi Fern! So good to hear from you! Alls' well here. My love to Christina, Katie, Connie, Kari and Courtney! And hugs to you of course :-)
Report Inappropriate Comment
Are you sure you would like to report this comment? It will be flagged for our moderators to take action.
Thank you for taking the time to improve the content on our site.
Join our community of 5 million crafters!
- Get free craft projects, exclusive partner offers, and more.
- Information Use