Pastel Multi Colored Floral Afghan
What could make a better afghan than tons of different colors and flowers? Make the Pastel Multi Colored Floral Afghan as a special gift for someone. It's a great crochet project for the winter and it also makes a great gift for a new baby. With the lovely pastel colors, this floral afghan is great for adding a colorful touch to your living room and is a great way to use up all those leftover yarn scraps.
- 875 yds. Eggshell Red Heart 4-ply yarn
- 965 yds. Spring Green Red Heart 4-ply yarn
- Various Pastel 4-ply yarn for Center Flower of Octagon Motif
- (3 ½ yds. are needed for Rnds 1 and 2 of motif)
- I and J crochet hooks or size needed for guage
- Tapestry Needle
- Octagon Motif measures 4 3/4” across
- Insert Motif measures 2 ” across
- Chain (ch), Single Crochet (sc), Double Crochet, Slip Stitch (sl st)
- Special Stitch: Shell – 2 dc, ch 1, 2 dc
Size: 43” x 53”
Octagon Motifs (make 99)
Rnd 1 – With flower color and I hook ch 2, work 8 sc in 2nd ch from hook, join to beg sc.
Rnd 2 – Ch 4, dc in same st, (dc, ch 1, dc) in each st around, join to 3rd ch of beg ch 4 and fasten off.
Rnd 3 – Join spring green with a sl st in any ch 1 sp, ch 2, (dc, ch 1, 2 dc) in same sp, *ch 1, Shell in next ch 1 sp, rep from * around, join to top of beg ch 2 and fasten off.
- Rnd 4 – Join eggshell with a sc in ch 1 sp of Shell, *5 dc in next ch 1 sp, sc in ch 1 sp of Shell, rep from * around, join to beg sc and fasten off.
Insert Motifs (make 80)
Rnd 1 – With spring green ch 2, work 8 sc in 2nd ch from hook, join to beg sc.
- Rnd 2 – Ch 3, (dc, ch 1, 2 dc) in same sp, * sc in next sc, Shell in next sc, rep from * around, join to top of beg ch 3 and fasten off.
- With eggshell whipstitch Octagon Motifs together sewing 11 rows of 9 motifs each. Sew Inserts Motifs between Octagon Motifs. See attached diagram.
Starting at upper right corner of Octagon Motif and J hook join eggshell with a sc in 3rd dc of 5 dc cluster, ch 3, (sc, ch 3, sc) in next sc, ch 3, skip 2 dc, sc in next dc, rep to joining, sc in joining, continue pattern around entire afghan, join to beg sc and fasten off.