Christmas Morning Crochet Afghan Pattern
Spend Christmas morning cozily bundled in this holiday crochet afghan pattern!
We are adding the craft to your Craft Projects.
The project was added to your Craft Projects.
Nothing gets you in the snuggling mood like a winter blizzard and a crackling fireplace. Brew a cup of hot cocoa and cozy up in this wintry Christmas Morning Crochet Afghan Pattern! Out of all the holiday crochet afghan patterns, this one is the most fun. Give the holiday season some extra spunk with this pom pom-trimmed blanket. With funky stripes, ultra-soft yarn, and a brilliant textured design, this crocheted afghan pattern will easily be your new favorite. Drape it over your sofa, and this wintry piece will brighten up the room with the holiday spirit. Customize your colors to suit any holiday, or select some neutral shades for an afghan you'll keep out all year long!
Be sure to enter for a chance to win the Amazing Red Heart Super Saver Yarn Giveaway during the 12 Days of Christmas in July! This giveaway runs until July 29th and you can receive an extra entry just by commenting below on this page.
Crochet HookH/8 or 5 mm hook
Crochet Gauge17 dc = 5'' (12.5 cm.); 8 dc rows = 5'' (12.5 cm.).
Use any size hook to obtain the gauge given.
Finished Size45'' x 55'' (114.5 cm. x 140 cm.)
Red Heart Super Saver Yarn:
- 4 Skeins 319 Cherry Red
- 2 Skeins 512 Turqua
- 1 Skein 672 Spring Green
- 1 Skein 706 Perfect Pink
- 1 Skein 316 Soft White
- 1 Skein 718 Shocking Pink
- Susan Bates Crochet Hook, 5 mm. (U.S. H-8)
- Susan Bates Easy Pom Pon Maker, 1.75'' (4.5 cm.) diameter
- Yarn needle
V-stitch (V-st): (Dc, ch 1, dc) in indicated stitch.
Bobble: Yarn over, pull up a loop in indicated st, yarn over and draw through two loops on hook, (yarn over and pull up a loop in same st, yarn over and draw through two loops on hook) three times, yarn over and draw through all five loops on hook. Push bobble to the right side of the fabric.
Instructions - Throw
With B, ch 141.
Row 1 (right side): Sc in second ch from hook and each ch across, turn - 140 sc.
Row 2: With A, ch 3 (counts as 1 dc here and throughout), dc in each sc across, turn.
Row 3: Ch 3, dc in each dc across, turn.
Row 4: With C, ch 1, sc in first dc, [ch 1, skip next dc, sc in next dc] 69 times, sc in last dc, turn.
Row 5: With D, ch 1, sc in first sc, ch 1, skip next sc, [sc in next ch-1 space, ch 1, skip next sc] 68 times, sc in last ch-1 space and in last sc, turn.
Row 6: With C, repeat Row 5.
Row 7: With D, repeat Row 5.
Row 8: With C, repeat Row 5.
Row 9: With A, ch 3, dc in each sc and ch-1 space across, turn – 140 dc.
Row 10: Ch 3, dc in each dc across, turn.
Row 11: With E, ch 1, sc in each dc across, turn.
Row 12: Ch 3, skip first 2 sc, V-st in next sc, skip next sc, dc in next sc, [skip next sc, V-st in next sc, skip next sc, dc in next sc] 33 times, skip next sc, dc in next sc, ch 1, dc in last sc, turn.
Row 13: Ch 3, dc in next ch 1 space, [skip next dc, V-st in next dc, dc in next ch-1 space] 34 times, dc in each of last 2 dc, turn.
Row 14: Ch 1, sc in each dc and ch 1 space across, turn – 140 sc.
Row 15: With A, ch 3, dc in each sc across, turn.
Row 16: Ch 3, dc in each dc across, turn.
Row 17: With F, ch 1, sc in each dc across, turn.
Row 18: Ch 1, sc in each sc across, turn.
Row 19: With B, ch 1, sc in each of first 2 sc, [bobble in next sc, sc in each of next 4 sc] 27 times, bobble in next sc, sc in each of last 2 sc, turn.
Row 20: With F, ch 1, sc in each sc and bobble across, turn – 140 sc.
Row 21: Ch 1, sc in each sc across, turn.
Rows 22 and 23: With A, repeat Rows 2 and 3.
Row 24: With D, repeat Row 4.
Row 25: With C, repeat Row 5.
Row 26: With D, repeat Row 5.
Row 27: With C, repeat Row 5.
Row 28: With D, repeat Row 5.
Rows 29 and 30: With A, repeat Rows 9 and 10.
Rows 31-34: With E, repeat Rows 11-14.
Rows 35 and 36: With A, repeat Rows 15 and 16.
Rows 37 and 38: With B, repeat Rows 17 and 18.
Row 39: With F, repeat Row 19.
Rows 40 and 41: With B, repeat Rows 20 and 21.
Rows 42–136: Repeat Rows 2–41 twice, then repeat Rows 2–16 only once more.
Row 137: With B, ch 1, sc in each dc across, do not turn – 140 sc.
Instructions - Finishing
Rotate afghan so that you are ready to work down the left side edge.
Round 1 (right side): With A, ch 3, dc last sc made, work 5 dc in each color E section and 4 dc in each other color section, working in unused loop of foundation ch, 3 dc in first st, dc in each of next 138 sts, 3 dc in last st, work second side edge same as first side edge, 3 dc in first sc of Row 137, dc in each of next 138 sc, dc in same st as first dc of round, join with slip st to top of beginning ch 3.
Rounds 2 and 3: Ch 3, dc in same st as joining slip st, [dc in each dc corner dc, 3 dc in corner dc] 3 times, dc in each dc to end, dc in same st as first dc of round, join with slip st to top of beginning ch-3.
Round 4: With B, ch 1, 3 sc in same st as joining slip st, [sc in each dc to corner dc, 3 sc in corner dc] 3 times, sc in each dc to end, join with slip st in first sc. Fasten off.
Make 14 pom pons with A and B held together. Sew 7 each, evenly spaced, to short edges of Throw.
Weave in all loose ends.
- A, B, C, etc.
- Color A, Color B, Color C, etc.
- Double crochet
- Single crochet
- [ ]
- Work directions in brackets the number of times specified
- repeat whatever follows the *or** as indicated
- There is a maximum of one extra entry per person. The extra entry will be based upon a comment left on this project. Duplicate comments will be deleted and are not tallied.
- The winner will be selected at random from the comments on this page and the entries on the contest page.
- The winner will be contacted on the morning of July 30, 2018.
- Email Address provided in their account (please do NOT leave your email address in the comments--you already provided it when you created your account).
- You have until Sunday, July 29, 2018 at 11:59pm EST to leave your comment on this post. Comments posted after that will not be counted.
- Contest open to anyone 18+ in US and/or Canada. Excludes Quebec and Puerto Rico.
What's your favorite Christmas crochet pattern? Let us know below in the comments!
Tags / Related Topics
Your Recently Viewed Projects
Images from other crafters
Free projects, giveaways, exclusive partner offers, and more straight to your inbox!
Report Inappropriate Comment
Are you sure you would like to report this comment? It will be flagged for our moderators to take action.
Thank you for taking the time to improve the content on our site.
Fun and Fancy Double Crochet Afghan
Under 6 Hours Crochet Throw Pattern
Arrow Stitch Crochet Afghan
Bavarian Rainbow Afghan
Modern Summer Camp Blanket
Christmas Morning Crochet Afghan Pattern
Quick Granny Stripes Lapghan Crochet Pattern
Stars in Your Eyes Free Crochet Afghan Pattern
Ripple Afghan Crochet Pattern
Our Newest Projects & Articles
- 4 Easy Small Wood Projects You Didn't Know You Could Make
- 14 Christmas Crafts for Adults, by 365 Days of Crafts
- Fireside Slippers
- 24 Free Shawl Knitting Patterns
- Shiny + Soft Main Street Yarns
- Beginner Hat Knitting Pattern
- 15 Easy Crochet Baby Booties for Beginners
- 31 Summer Wreaths to Make
- How to Set Tie Dye in Fabric
- Crochet Christmas Stockings: 14 Free Patterns
- 11 Crochet Shawl Patterns: Crochet Poncho Patterns, Free Easy Crochet Patterns and More
- 12 Knitted Scarf Patterns: Fabulous Free Knitting Patterns for Beginners
- 14 Free Crochet Patterns for Babies and Toddlers
- 16 Free Crochet Hat Patterns, Scarves, and Gloves
- 22 Free Crochet Patterns: Afghan Patterns, Crochet Hats, and More
- 24 Quick and Easy Knitting Patterns
- 7 Adult Coloring Pages
- 8 Free Apron Sewing Patterns
- Easy Lace Knitting Patterns
- Quick & Easy Decoupage: 12 Fabulous Mod Podge Projects for Your Home