We are adding the craft to your Craft Projects.
The project was added to your Craft Projects.
Throw this colorful afghan on your bed or couch and you won't need another blanket for years! Crocheted in changing hues of blue, purple, and green in a foundation of heather gray, the colors in this afghan really make an impression. This is a great crocheted afghan for livening up your home and is a fun and easy project for beginners and advanced crocheters alike. Challenge your skills and learn to make something new with this amazingly colorful Crocheted Fan Throw.
- 7 skeins Red Heart Super Saver yarn in Grey Heather (A)
- 2 skeins Red Heart Super Saver yarn in Medium Purple (B)
- 2 skeins Red Heart Super Saver yarn in Tea Leaf (C)
- 2 skeins Red Heart Super Saver yarn in Light Periwinkle (D)
- 2 skeins Red Heart Super Saver yarn in Delft Blue (E)
- 1 skein Red Heart Super Saver yarn in Turqa (F)
- 6mm [US J-10] crochet hook
- Yarn needle
Gauge: Panel = 5.75” long x 2” wide at top; Square = 8.5” x 8.5”. CHECK YOUR GAUGE. Use any size hook to obtain the gauges.
- dec (decrease) = [draw up a loop in next st] twice, yarn over and draw through all 3 loops on hook.
- shell = 5 dc in specified st.
Throw measures 58” x 76”
Square 1 (Square 2)-Make 24 each
- Row 1 (Right Side): With E (F), ch 2; sc in 2nd ch from hook; turn.
- Row 2: Ch 1, 2 sc in sc; turn – 2 sc.
- Rows 3 and 4: Ch 1, sc in each sc across; turn.
- Row 5: Ch 1, sc in first sc, ch 1, sc in next sc; turn.
- Row 6: Ch 1, sc in first sc, sc in ch-1 space, sc in last sc; turn – 3 sc.
- Rows 7-9: Ch 1, sc in each sc across; turn.
- Row 10: Ch 1, sc in first sc, 2 sc in next sc, sc in last sc; turn – 4 sc.
- Rows 11-12: Ch 1, sc in each sc across; turn.
- Row 13: Ch 1, sc in first 2 sc, ch 1, sc in last 2 sc; turn.
- Row 14: Ch 1, sc in first 2 sc, sc in ch-1 space, sc in last 2 sc; turn – 5 sc.
- Row 15: Ch 1, sc in first sc, skip next sc, shell in next sc, skip next sc, sc in last sc. Fasten off.
- Row 1 (Right Side): With B (D), ch 2, sc in 2nd ch from hook; slip st in Row 1 of Panel 1; turn.
- Row 2: Repeat Row 2 of Panel 1.
- Row 3: Ch 1, sc in each sc; slip st in Row 3 of Panel 1; turn.
- Continue working as for Panel 1 and joining panels by slip stitching every right side row to corresponding row of the panel to the left. At end of last row, slip st to last sc of the panel to the left and fasten off.
- Work as for Panel 2, slip stitching to corresponding rows of panel to the left, in the following colors: Panel 3: C (B). Panel 4: D (E). Panel 5: C (C). Panel 6: B (D). Panel 7: E (F).
- Row 1: With right side facing and A, draw up a loop in bottom ch (under first sc) of Panel 1; ch 1, 2 sc in same ch as joining, 2 sc in foundation ch of each panel across; turn – 14 sc.
- Row 2: Ch 1, dec, sc to last 2 sc, dec; turn – 12 sc.
- Row 3: Repeat Row 2 – 10 sc.
- Row 4: Ch 1, sc in each sc across; turn.
- Row 5: Repeat Row 2 – 8 sc.
- Row 6: Ch 1, sc in first 3 sc, dec, sc in last 3 sc; turn – 7 sc.
- Row 7: Ch 1, dec, skip next sc, shell in next sc, skip next sc, dec. Fasten off.
- Row 1: With right side facing, join A with a dc in corner sc of Panel 7, dc in same sc, * ch 1, skip 2 dc, sc in next dc, ch 1**, 3 dc between next 2 sc (in joining seam); repeat from * to last sc, end at **; 2 dc in last sc – 43 sts. Fasten off.
- Row 2: With wrong side facing, skip first 6 sts, join yarn in next dc; ch 1, sc in same dc as joining and in next 30 sts (counting ch-1 spaces as a st); turn leaving last 6 sts unworked – 31 sc.
- Row 3: Ch 1, skip first sc, dec, sc to last 3 sc, dec; turn – 27 sc.
- Rows 4 and 5: Repeat Row 3 – 23 sc at end of Row 4 and 19 sc at end of Row 5.
- Rows 6-11: Ch 1, dec, sc to last 2 sc; dec; turn – 7 sc at end of Row 11.
- Row 12: Ch 1, dec, skip next sc, shell in next sc, skip next sc, dec. Fasten off. Weave in ends.
- Arrange Squares 1 and 2 following Assembly Diagram, noting the direction of the fans.
- After the first square, all others are joined while working the Square Edging.
- With right side facing, join A in center dc of bottom or top corner shell or in dc at beginning or end of Top Corner Row 1; ch 4, slip st in same dc, * ch 2, work [slip st, ch 2] 12 times evenly spaced to next corner **; (slip st, ch 4, slip st) all in next corner; repeat from * around, end at **. Fasten off. There will be 13 ch-2 spaces between each corner ch-4 space.
To Join Squares
- Join on 1 or 2 sides as necessary in ch-4 spaces and ch-2 spaces while working Square Edging. To join a ch-2 space = ch 1, drop loop from hook, insert hook from right side into corresponding space and into dropped loop, draw loop through, ch 1.
- To join a ch-4 space = ch 2, drop loop from hook, insert hook from right side into corresponding space and into dropped loop, draw loop through, ch 2.
- When all squares are joined, start working Border.
- With right side facing, join A in a ch-2 space to the left of any joining seam.
- Round 1: Ch 2, * slip st in next space, ch 2; repeat from * around working (slip st, ch 4, slip st) in corner ch-4 spaces; ch 2; repeat from * around; slip st in same ch-2 space as beginning of round; TURN.
- Round 2 (Wrong Side): Slip st in last ch-2 space worked.
- Repeat Round 2.
- Round 3 (Right Side): Ch 1, (sc, ch 2, sc) in each ch-2 space around and work (sc, ch 2, sc, ch 3, sc, ch 2, sc) in each corner ch-4 space; join with a slip st in first sc. Do not turn.
- Round 4: Slip st in next space, ch 1, (sc, ch 2, sc) in each ch-2 space around and work (sc, ch 3, sc) in each corner ch-3 space; join. Fasten off.
- Weave in ends.
Free projects, giveaways, exclusive partner offers, and more straight to your inbox!
Your Recently Viewed Projects
Images from other crafters
Report Inappropriate Comment
Are you sure you would like to report this comment? It will be flagged for our moderators to take action.
Thank you for taking the time to improve the content on our site.
Project of the Day
Your search for a super easy crochet slippers pattern ends here. Make the very adorable Pom Pom Crochet Slippers for Adults. This free… Continue reading: "Pom Pom Crochet Slippers for Adults"
Our Newest Projects & Articles
- C2c Monkey
- Alix Tank Top
- Crochet Butterfly Applique Tutorial
- Little Crochet Bow Applique
- Crochet Cherry Applique
- Cute Crochet Hexagon Motif
- Easy Fabric Manicure Kit
- Simple Sew Fabric Storage Tray
- Aqua Sole Bracelet Design
- Prism Baby Lovey
- 11 Crochet Shawl Patterns: Crochet Poncho Patterns, Free Easy Crochet Patterns and More
- 12 Knitted Scarf Patterns: Fabulous Free Knitting Patterns for Beginners
- 14 Free Crochet Patterns for Babies and Toddlers
- 16 Free Crochet Hat Patterns, Scarves, and Gloves
- 22 Free Crochet Patterns: Afghan Patterns, Crochet Hats, and More
- 24 Quick and Easy Knitting Patterns
- 7 Adult Coloring Pages
- 8 Free Apron Sewing Patterns
- Easy Lace Knitting Patterns
- Quick & Easy Decoupage: 12 Fabulous Mod Podge Projects for Your Home