A Field of Flower Squares Afghan
A Field of Flower Squares Afghan is a wonderful project created by Roseanna Beck. Using carefully crafted crochet flower patterns, this versatile afghan will stand out with bright colors and different flowers. This is a great afghan for a kids room or a clever way to bring the colors of spring and summer into your home. For the avid crochet fan, this afghan will satisfy all your crocheting needs!
- 6 balls Red Heart Classic 4-ply yarn in White
- 8 balls Red Heart Classic 4-ply yarn in Paddy Green
- Various colors of Red Heart Classic 4-ply yarn (or comparable yarn) for the flowers (see chart for color and yardage needed for each flower)
- 6 strand DMC (25) embroidery thread for flowers (see chart for colors needed)
- G, H, I and J crochet hooks or size needed for guage
- Tapestry Needle
Gauge: Flower Motif measures 5 3/4” across
Stitch Guide: Chain (ch), Single Crochet (sc), Double Crochet (dc), Triple Crochet (trc), Double Triple Crochet (dtrc), Slip Stitch (sl st)
Size: 51” x 57”
Flower Motif (Make 90)
Crocheted Flowers – see directions for “Various Flowers”
Behind Petals: Rnd 1 – With H hook and 30” strand of yarn (left behind flower) work in center of flower *sc between any 2 scs, ch 3, cont from * around evenly spacing 3 more ch 3 sps, join to beg sc and fasten off. (4 ch 3 sps)
Rnd 2 – Join green with a sl st in any ch 3 sp, *(sc, ch 3, sc) in same sp, ch 3, cont from * around, join to beg sc. (8 ch 3 sps)
Rnd 3 – Sl st into ch 3 sp, ch 3, (dc, ch 1, 2 dc) in same sp, *ch 1, (2 dc, ch 1, 2 dc) in next sp, rep from * around, join to top of beg ch 3.
Rnd 4 – Sl st in next dc and ch 1 sp, sc in same sp, *5 dc in next ch 1 sp, sc in next ch 1 sp, rep from * around, join to beg sc and fasten off.
- Rnd 5 – Note: Work all sts in back loop only. With white and I hook join with a sl st in any sc, ch 2, (dc, ch 3, 2 dc) in same sp, *dc in next dc, hdc in next dc, work 1 sc in each of next 7 st, hdc in next dc, dc in next dc, (2 dc, ch 3, 2 dc) in next sc, rep from * around, join to top of beg ch 2 and fasten off. Note: When motif is completed, “open” each petal to form the flower.
- With right side facing and white, whipstitch squares together with 10 rows of 9 squares each. See Flower Placement diagram.
Rnd 1 – With white and H hook (sc, ch 3, sc) in any ch 3 corner sp, ch 2, skip 1 st, sc in next st, *ch 2, skip 2 st, (sc, ch 3, sc) in next st, ch 2, skip 2 st, sc in next st, rep from * until joining, (sc, ch 3, sc) in joining, cont. established pattern around entire afghan, join to beg sc.
Rnd 2 – Sl st into ch 3 corner sp, (ch 3, 4 dc) in sp, *sc in next ch 2 sp, **cluster in next sc, sc in ch 3 sp, rep from ** until last ch 2 sp before next corner sp, sc in ch 2 sp, cluster in next ch 3 corner sp, rep from * around entire afghan, join to top of beg ch 3 and fasten off.
- Rnd 3 – With white (sc, ch 3, sc) in sc before any corner cluster, ch 3, skip 2 dc (of next cluster), sc in next st, ch 3, skip 2 dc (sc, ch 3, sc) in next sc, rep pattern as established in each sc and cluster around entire afghan, join to beg sc and fasten off.
Choose flowers to add to your afghan from the patterns listed below.
Tags / Related Topics
Your Recently Viewed Projects
More from "Crochet Afghans"
Make your home nice and cozy with tons of crochet afghans. You can learn how to make easy crochet afghans with these free crochet afghan patterns that will brighten up every room in your house.
Sign Up for More Free Patterns
There are no records