Fabric and Glitter Butterfly Pins
Use wire, beads, fabric and of course glitter to create a butterfly you can wear all day long. Fabric and Glitter Butterfly Pins from Candace Jedrowicz add a fun and interesting touch to any outfit. Use a variety of different size beads for a unique and unexpected look.
- Aleene’s Fabric Stiffener and Draping Liquid
- Aleene’s Original Tacky Glue
- Fine glitter
- Plastic bag
- Waxed paper
- Needle tool
- 24 Gauge wire
- Assorted beads for the body
- Cut a piece of fabric 6″ X 4″ and place in a plastic bag. Put on gloves and pour in about 1 tablespoon of Aleene’s Fabric Stiffener. Close the bag and rub the liquid into the fabric.
- Take the fabric out of the bag and squeegee the fabric with your fingers to get the excess liquid out.
- Fold the fabric in half and place on waxed paper to smooth out wrinkles.
- Make a V shaped armature – I put a fold in a piece of cardboard and taped the sides to small cans. Lay the waxed paper with wet fabric in the fold the long way. When it’s dry, the fold will be set in.
- Cut the dry stiffened fabric in half to make two butterflies. I like whimsical shapes, so I cut my butterfly asymmetrical, but you can do it any way you like.
- “Draw” lines on the butterfly for the glitter accents with Aleene’s Turbo Tacky Glue. I created a tape nozzle for my glue bottle – that’s a really cool EcoHeidi trick!
- Sprinkle the glitter on and tap off the excess.
- Cut a 12″ piece of wire and fold in half. Leave a small loop at the fold to stop the beads.String several beads to form the body. Curl up the wire ends to make antennae.
- Make three holes down the fold of the butterfly. Cut three 5″ pieces of wire and fold in half forming a wide loop. Push the ends of the loops through the three holes, but don’t pull all the way through.
- Slide the butterfly’s body through the loops and pull the wires tight from underneath to attach the body.
- Wrap the wires underneath trough and around a pin back.
For a comprehensive video tutorial of this project, check out How to Make a Glittery Butterfly Beaded Pin.