Jumbo DIY Wall Art
We are adding the craft to your Craft Projects.
The project was added to your Craft Projects.
In the Designer's Words: "To create your own artwork is easier than you think, all it takes is a bit of practice and confidence. Here I show you how it's a lot easier than you think to create your own giant wall art masterpiece. You simplify the picture and then paint it, it's a bit like painting by numbers you may have done as a kid. Like I said this is a bit like painting by numbers you may have done as a child. You don't have to take a photo, you can project any image you have onto the giant canvas and paint. Painting on a large scale like this is so much fun."
Time to CompleteWeekend project
Project TypeMake a Project
- Giant blank canvas. Use a new one or paint over an old one.
- Mobile phone camera, and camera filter app such as paper camera.
- Overhead projector or art projector.
- Acrylic paints and brushes.
Take a photo of your subject one your phone, in my case it was a dog. Use a photo filter app to posterise your picture.
If you have access to photoshop you can do this in photoshop instead.
Posterizing your picture simplifies it down to a few flat colours making it easier to paint.
Project your photo onto your canvas and draw round the image outline.
Assign each colour on the original photo a number and use this as a guide for painting on your canvas.
Paint using acrylics or gouache.
Free projects, giveaways, exclusive partner offers, and more straight to your inbox!
Your Recently Viewed Projects
Report Inappropriate Comment
Are you sure you would like to report this comment? It will be flagged for our moderators to take action.
Thank you for taking the time to improve the content on our site.
Project of the Day
Have you ever seen a more beautiful way to recycle pill bottles? Rather than throwing empty pill bottles away, make this Stunningly… Continue reading: "Stunningly Beautiful Pill Bottle Lamp"
- Personalized Chalkboard Wall
- Chalkboard Wall Calendar
- Be Creative Wood Wall Art
- How to Make Ombre Painted Layered Canvas Art
- Tie Dye Footprint Butterfly Canvas
- Creative Watercolor Art Project
- Feathered Wall Canvas
- Striped Coastal Fish Decor
- Super Simple Painted DIY Wall Art
- DIY Rustic Barn Wood Sign
Our Newest Projects & Articles
- Cute Crochet Frog Bookmark
- Octopus Colouring Pages
- Making Christine's Dressig Robe For <$10
- Simple Dress To Sew
- Simple Sew Remote Pillow
- How to Tie Dye with Bleach
- Printable Summer Mad Lib PDF
- Essential Oil Itch Relief Cream
- Picasso Pastels Murano Glass Bracelet
- The "any Size" Turban Hat
- 11 Crochet Shawl Patterns: Crochet Poncho Patterns, Free Easy Crochet Patterns and More
- 12 Knitted Scarf Patterns: Fabulous Free Knitting Patterns for Beginners
- 14 Free Crochet Patterns for Babies and Toddlers
- 16 Free Crochet Hat Patterns, Scarves, and Gloves
- 22 Free Crochet Patterns: Afghan Patterns, Crochet Hats, and More
- 24 Quick and Easy Knitting Patterns
- 7 Adult Coloring Pages
- 8 Free Apron Sewing Patterns
- Easy Lace Knitting Patterns
- Quick & Easy Decoupage: 12 Fabulous Mod Podge Projects for Your Home