Chunky Cable Hat Knitting Pattern
We are adding the craft to your Craft Projects.
The project was added to your Craft Projects.
Knit a chunky cable hat from Bernat Yarns to keep you warm and stylish through the winter with this free hat knitting pattern. The pom-pom is optional, but easy to create with these instructions.
Find this beautiful pattern and more knit hats in 27 Free Hat Knitting Patterns.
- Yarn: 1 ball of Bernat® Softee Chunky (100 g / 3.5 oz) #39134 (Deep Sea).
- Knitting Needles- Size 6 mm (U.S. 10) or size needed to obtain gauge.
- Cable needle - CN.
Gauge: 15 sts and 20 rows = 4 ins [10 cm] in stocking st.
C4B = Slip next 2 sts onto a CN and leave at back of work. K2, then K2 from CN.
C4F = Slip next 2 sts onto CN and leave at front of work. K2, then K2 from CN.
Cast on 70 sts.
1st row: (RS). K2. *P2. K2. Rep from * to end of row.
2nd row: P2. *K2. P2. Rep from * to end of row.
Rep last 2 rows twice more, inc 12 sts evenly across last row. 82 sts.
Proceed in Shadow Cable Pat as follows: 1st row: (RS). Knit.
2nd and alt rows: Purl.
3rd row: K1. *C4B. K4. Rep from * to last st. K1.
5th row: Knit.
7th row: K5. *C4F. K4. Rep from * to last 5 sts. C4F. K1.
8th row: Purl.
Rep last 8 rows twice more, then 1st to 4th rows once.
Shape top: 1st row: (RS). K1.*K6. K2tog. Rep from * to last st. K1. 72 sts.
2nd and alt rows: Purl.
3rd row: K1. *K5. K2tog. Rep from * to last st. K1. 62 sts.
5th row: K1. *K4. K2tog. Rep from * to last st. K1. 52 sts.
7th row: *K2. K2tog. Rep from * to end of row. 39 sts.
8th row: P1. *P2tog. Rep from * to end of row. 20 sts.
Break yarn, leaving a long end. Thread end through rem sts and draw up firmly. Fasten securely. Sew back seam.
Pom-pom: Wind yarn around 4 fingers 50 times. Tie tightly in the middle and leave a long end for attaching to hat. Cut loops at both ends and trim to smooth round shape.
Your Recently Viewed Projects
Free recipes, giveaways, exclusive, partner offers, and more straight to your inbox!
Report Inappropriate Comment
Are you sure you would like to report this comment? It will be flagged for our moderators to take action.
Thank you for taking the time to improve the content on our site.
- 27 Free Hat Knitting Patterns
- Chunky Winter Cable Knit Hat
- Beginner's Favorite Knitted Hat
- Men's Winter Hat and Scarf
- Bright Knit Hats and Mittens Holiday Decorations
- Chunky Cable Hat Knitting Pattern
- Adorable Chunky Pom Knit Toddler Hat Pattern
- Easy Striped Knitted Hat
- His and Hers Winter Hats
- Gray Knit Scarf Set for Men
Our Newest Projects & Articles
- Easy DIY Crochet Wreath Ornament
- How To Add Extra Pockets To Any Tote Bag
- Clay Sunflower
- Christmas Sweets Photo Booth Props
- 14 of the Most Stunningly Beautiful Glitter Crafts
- 41 Easy Crochet Baby Blanket Patterns
- 36 Granny Square Crochet Patterns for Beginners
- Granny Square Cloth Crochet Pattern
- Zentangle Cupid of Hearts Adult Coloring Page
- Gelly Roll Hand Lettering Tutorial
- 11 Crochet Shawl Patterns: Crochet Poncho Patterns, Free Easy Crochet Patterns and More
- 12 Knitted Scarf Patterns: Fabulous Free Knitting Patterns for Beginners
- 14 Free Crochet Patterns for Babies and Toddlers
- 16 Free Crochet Hat Patterns, Scarves, and Gloves
- 22 Free Crochet Patterns: Afghan Patterns, Crochet Hats, and More
- 24 Quick and Easy Knitting Patterns
- 7 Adult Coloring Pages
- 8 Free Apron Sewing Patterns
- Easy Lace Knitting Patterns
- Quick & Easy Decoupage: 12 Fabulous Mod Podge Projects for Your Home