We are adding the craft to your Craft Projects.
The project was added to your Craft Projects.
Knit a chunky cable hat from Bernat Yarns to keep you warm and stylish through the winter with this free hat knitting pattern. The pom-pom is optional, but easy to create with these instructions.
Find this beautiful pattern and more knit hats in 27 Free Hat Knitting Patterns.
- Yarn: 1 ball of Bernat® Softee Chunky (100 g / 3.5 oz) #39134 (Deep Sea).
- Knitting Needles- Size 6 mm (U.S. 10) or size needed to obtain gauge.
- Cable needle - CN.
Gauge: 15 sts and 20 rows = 4 ins [10 cm] in stocking st.
C4B = Slip next 2 sts onto a CN and leave at back of work. K2, then K2 from CN.
C4F = Slip next 2 sts onto CN and leave at front of work. K2, then K2 from CN.
Cast on 70 sts.
1st row: (RS). K2. *P2. K2. Rep from * to end of row.
2nd row: P2. *K2. P2. Rep from * to end of row.
Rep last 2 rows twice more, inc 12 sts evenly across last row. 82 sts.
Proceed in Shadow Cable Pat as follows: 1st row: (RS). Knit.
2nd and alt rows: Purl.
3rd row: K1. *C4B. K4. Rep from * to last st. K1.
5th row: Knit.
7th row: K5. *C4F. K4. Rep from * to last 5 sts. C4F. K1.
8th row: Purl.
Rep last 8 rows twice more, then 1st to 4th rows once.
Shape top: 1st row: (RS). K1.*K6. K2tog. Rep from * to last st. K1. 72 sts.
2nd and alt rows: Purl.
3rd row: K1. *K5. K2tog. Rep from * to last st. K1. 62 sts.
5th row: K1. *K4. K2tog. Rep from * to last st. K1. 52 sts.
7th row: *K2. K2tog. Rep from * to end of row. 39 sts.
8th row: P1. *P2tog. Rep from * to end of row. 20 sts.
Break yarn, leaving a long end. Thread end through rem sts and draw up firmly. Fasten securely. Sew back seam.
Pom-pom: Wind yarn around 4 fingers 50 times. Tie tightly in the middle and leave a long end for attaching to hat. Cut loops at both ends and trim to smooth round shape.
Free projects, giveaways, exclusive partner offers, and more straight to your inbox!
Your Recently Viewed Projects
Report Inappropriate Comment
Are you sure you would like to report this comment? It will be flagged for our moderators to take action.
Thank you for taking the time to improve the content on our site.
Our Newest Projects & Articles
- How To Make Your Own Reversible Quilted Fabric
- Easy To Knit Slippers
- Adult & Child Knitted Slippers…with Bows!!
- Cute Bows Dishcloth
- Make A Victorian Steampunk Necklace And Bracelet
- Lavender Chamomile Milk Bath Recipe
- Vanilla Mint Lip Scrub Recipe
- Dandelion Painting On Canvas
- Duct Tape Twirling Bee Craft
- Colorful Baking Soda And Vinegar Reaction
- 11 Crochet Shawl Patterns: Crochet Poncho Patterns, Free Easy Crochet Patterns and More
- 12 Knitted Scarf Patterns: Fabulous Free Knitting Patterns for Beginners
- 14 Free Crochet Patterns for Babies and Toddlers
- 16 Free Crochet Hat Patterns, Scarves, and Gloves
- 22 Free Crochet Patterns: Afghan Patterns, Crochet Hats, and More
- 24 Quick and Easy Knitting Patterns
- 7 Adult Coloring Pages
- 8 Free Apron Sewing Patterns
- Easy Lace Knitting Patterns
- Quick & Easy Decoupage: 12 Fabulous Mod Podge Projects for Your Home