Sugar Twist Knit Hat
We are adding the craft to your Craft Projects.
The project was added to your Craft Projects.
This sugar twist hat is named for its close resemblance to sugary cotton candy! This free knitting pattern is the sweetest way to cozy up this winter. Make gifts for your friends or simply sport it yourself.
- Malabrigo Gruesa (100% Wool; 3.5 oz; 65 yds)
- #100 Rosa Viejo, 2 skeins (if you make a smaller version you could get away with 1 skein)
- Needles: 1 set US 10 (6.0mm) dpns & one 16 in. circular needle
- Cable needle
- Stitch markers,
- Tapestry needle
10 sts & 18 rows = 4 in. in reverse stockinette st (that's where the right side of the work is the purl side, just in case ;)
Size: this fits 21 in. head nice and snug; any adjustments to the stitch count will alter the look of the cable, but if you do need to add or subtract stitches, I would do that evenly throughout the purl sections.
Note: Pattern edited to make the hat longer. If you have short/thin hair, go with the fewer rows. If you have long/thick hair, definitely add the extra rows.
CO 60 sts.
Place marker(pm) and join yarn (and yes, be careful not to twist), then K2, p2 across all sts. Repeat for 4 rows total.
Row 1: P10, pm, K10, pm; repeat to end of row
Row 2: P10, slip marker (sm), K10, sm; repeat to end of row
Repeat Row 2 eight/ten more times.
Cable Row: *P10, slip 5 st to cable needle(cn), hold in front of work, K5 sts, K5 sts from cn; repeat from * to end of row.
Repeat Row 2 for ten rows.
Row 1: P8, P2tog, sm, K8, SSK, sm; repeat to end of row.
Row 2: P9, sm, K9, sm; repeat to end of row.
Row 3: P7, P2tog, sm, K7, SSK, sm; repeat to end of row.
Row 4: P8, sm, K8, sm; repeat to end of row.
Row 5: P2tog, P to 2 st before m, P2tog, sm K2tog, K to 2 st before m, SSK, sm; repeat to end of row.
Row 6: Purl the purls, knit the knits ;)
Row 7: Repeat Row 5
Row 8: Repeat Row 6
Row 9: P2tog twice, K2tog, SSK; repeat to end of row.
Row 10: Repeat Row 6
Row 11: P2tog, K2tog; repeat to end of row.
Break yarn and weave in ends. Wear with love!
Your Recently Viewed Projects
Free recipes, giveaways, exclusive, partner offers, and more straight to your inbox!
Report Inappropriate Comment
Are you sure you would like to report this comment? It will be flagged for our moderators to take action.
Thank you for taking the time to improve the content on our site.
- Beginner's Favorite Knitted Hat
- Men's Winter Hat and Scarf
- 27 Free Hat Knitting Patterns
- His and Hers Winter Hats
- Chunky Winter Cable Knit Hat
- Bright Knit Hats and Mittens Holiday Decorations
- Bostonian Hat and Scarf
- Easy Striped Knitted Hat
- Adorable Chunky Pom Knit Toddler Hat Pattern
- Chunky Cable Hat Knitting Pattern
Our Newest Projects & Articles
- How to Photo Transfer with Adhesive Sheets
- Little Flowers DIY Gift Box
- Embroidery Hoop Art Wreath
- Bright Pink and Black Valentine Shadow Box
- Sparkliest DIY Christmas Tree Ornament
- Three Shades of Zentangle Adult Coloring Page
- Mindless Floral Adult Coloring Page
- Zentangle Soulmate Adult Coloring Page
- Rose Garden Adult Coloring Page
- 98 Heart Craft Ideas
- 11 Crochet Shawl Patterns: Crochet Poncho Patterns, Free Easy Crochet Patterns and More
- 12 Knitted Scarf Patterns: Fabulous Free Knitting Patterns for Beginners
- 14 Free Crochet Patterns for Babies and Toddlers
- 16 Free Crochet Hat Patterns, Scarves, and Gloves
- 22 Free Crochet Patterns: Afghan Patterns, Crochet Hats, and More
- 24 Quick and Easy Knitting Patterns
- 7 Adult Coloring Pages
- 8 Free Apron Sewing Patterns
- Easy Lace Knitting Patterns
- Quick & Easy Decoupage: 12 Fabulous Mod Podge Projects for Your Home