Cable Newsboy Hat Knitting Pattern
This knit newsboy hat pattern is a serious blast from the past!
We are adding the craft to your Craft Projects.
The project was added to your Craft Projects.
Knit an adorable newsboy cap with crochet button strap and cable detailing. This cable hat knitting pattern from Red Heart Yarn is stylish and fun, and allows intermediate knitters to practice cabling.
- Yarn: RED HEART® “Designer Sport™”: 1 ball 3825 Pool.
- Knitting Needles: 3.5mm [US 4] circular, 24” long.
- Crochet Hook: 3.75mm (US F-5).
- Cable needle
- stitch marker
- yarn needle
- Two buttons
- 1” diameter
Size: One size fits most; circumference is 22”.
Gauge: 20 sts = 4”; 28 rows = 4” in Stockinette stitch.
Note: Cap is knit in rounds on circular needle. Band and brim are crocheted.
Cast on 120 sts. Join to work in rounds, being careful not to twist sts. Place a marker for beginning of round.
Rounds 1-8: [P4, k8] 10 times.
Round 9: [P4, slip 4 sts to cable needle and hold in front, k4, k4 from cable needle] 10 times.
Rounds 10-20: [P4, k8] 10 times.
Repeat last 12 rounds once.
Round 33: [P2tog, p2, slip 4 sts to cable needle and hold in front, k4, k4 from cable needle] 10 times – 110 sts.
Rounds 34-38: [P3, k8] 10 times.
Round 35: [P2tog, p1, k8] 10 times – 100 sts.
Rounds 36-40: [P2, k8] 10 times.
Round 41: [P2tog, slip 4 sts to cable needle and hold in front, k4, k4 from cable needle] 10 times – 90 sts.
Rounds 42-46: [P1, k8] 10 times.
Cut yarn, leaving a long tail.
With crochet hook and holding 2 strands of yarn together, join yarn to cast-on edge to right of a cable.
Round 1: *Work sc in each st of cable (8 sc), skip 1 st, sc in next st, skip 1 st, sc in next st; repeat from * 9 more times – 100 sc.
Rounds 2-5: Sc in each sc around.
Row 1: Working in front loops only, sc in next 36 sc, leaving remaining sts unworked.
Rows 2-6: Ch 1, turn, skip 2 sts, sc in each sc across.
Round 1: Slip st in each st and each row of Brim around Band, slip st to first st to join.
Holding 2 strands of yarn together, ch 36.
Round 1: Work 2 sc in 2nd ch from hook and each ch across to last ch, 3 sc in last ch, turn to work along opposite side of ch, sc between each sc, work last sc in same space as beginning of rnd.
Round 2: Work 2 sc in first st, sc in each sc to center sc of 3 sc, 2 sc in next st, sc in each sc to first sc, slip st in first sc to join.
Weave tail through bound-off row and pull to close. Knot to secure. Position Strap over Brim. Sew buttons through both layers to secure Strap in place. Weave in ends.
For more free knitting patterns, be sure to check out our 24 Quick and Easy Knitting Patterns eBook!
Free projects, giveaways, exclusive partner offers, and more straight to your inbox!
Your Recently Viewed Projects
Report Inappropriate Comment
Are you sure you would like to report this comment? It will be flagged for our moderators to take action.
Thank you for taking the time to improve the content on our site.
Our Newest Projects & Articles
- Gnome Tissue Box Cover
- Throwback Thursday Free Pattern- Easy Laptop Case
- How To Sew A Professional Looking Gusset Zipper In A Bag
- How To Make Perfect Bound Lining In A Bag
- I Spy Sports
- I Spy Outer Space
- Winter Kids Scarf
- 42 Things To Do With The Elf On The Shelf
- How To Make Sanda Frost From Paper?
- Color Block (or Not) Earrings
- 11 Crochet Shawl Patterns: Crochet Poncho Patterns, Free Easy Crochet Patterns and More
- 12 Knitted Scarf Patterns: Fabulous Free Knitting Patterns for Beginners
- 14 Free Crochet Patterns for Babies and Toddlers
- 16 Free Crochet Hat Patterns, Scarves, and Gloves
- 22 Free Crochet Patterns: Afghan Patterns, Crochet Hats, and More
- 24 Quick and Easy Knitting Patterns
- 7 Adult Coloring Pages
- 8 Free Apron Sewing Patterns
- Easy Lace Knitting Patterns
- Quick & Easy Decoupage: 12 Fabulous Mod Podge Projects for Your Home