Dressed Up Spiders
Dress up your spider decorations this Halloween season. This is a cute craft the kids can help you out with. Using acrylics and felt you can use this decoration every year. Crafting with kids is the best way to make this. For some more neat kids crafts be sure you check this out!
- STYROFOAM* Brand Products:
- Balls: Gentleman spider: 1- 4", 1- 3" , 8- 1"
- Lady spider: 1- 3", 1- 2 1/2" ,4- 1"
- Felt: small pieces of red, pink, white and black
- 1 Pair of wiggle eyes, 24mm for gentleman, 18mm for lady
- 2- Pair of adhesive doll eye lashes
- 1- 9mm Chenille stems, black
- Acrylic paint, black
- Wooden skewer or sharp pencil
- Thick, white craft glue
- For head and body of gentleman spider, gently rub together 4" and 3" balls until they fit together snugly. Repeat for lady spider, using 3" and 2 1/2" balls. Brush off loose crumbs and glue heads and bodies together.
- To make feet for gentleman spider, slice off 1/4 of eight 1" balls. For lady spider, cut in half eight 1" balls.
- Paint all foam pieces black. (Hint: insert a toothpick into each piece and use this as a handle; after painting pieces, stick toothpick into a block of STYROFOAM while paint dries.)
- Cut chenille stems: Cut eight 8 1/2" pieces for the gentleman's legs and eight 6 1/2" pieces for the lady spider's legs. Using a wooden skewer or sharp pencil, poke a hole in the top of each foot; place a drop of glue in each hole and insert 8 1/2" chenille stems into 1" balls and 6 1/2" chenille stems into half balls.
- Poke eight leg holes into the bottom of each spider. Holes should be positioned so that the chenille stems will stick out horizontally from the body. Place a drop of glue into each hole and insert legs. Let dry.
- Bend legs so spiders will stand (refer to photo).
- Glue on wiggle eyes. Cut out cheeks from pink felt and lips from red felt; glue on. Cut out two, 7/8" strips of eyelashes for gentleman spider and two 3/4" strips for lady; glue directly on wiggle eyes. Using black paint, paint the white portion of wiggle eyes above the lashes to resemble eyelids.
- Using patterns, cut out pieces for top hat from black felt; assemble. When dry, glue to gentleman's head. Using pattern, cut out lady's collar from white felt; glue on lady spider between the head and body. Continue to embellish, using bows, ribbons and pins for earrings.
®™ Trademark of The Dow Chemical Company ("Dow") or an affiliated company of Dow. For more project ideas, please see styrofoamstyle.com.
Read NextGhostly Halloween Luminaries
Tags / Related Topics
Your Recently Viewed Projects
Join our community of 5 million crafters!
- Get free craft projects, exclusive partner offers, and more.
- Information Use
Thank You for Signing Up!
There was an issue signing you up. Please check your email address, and try again.