What's on Your Tombstone?
Decorate your front lawn. Scare your neighbors. Enjoy making haunted Halloween tombstones from STYROFOAM.
- Shapes of STYROFOAM Brand Products:
- 1- 12" x 1" disc
- 2- 2" x 12" x 36" sheets
- Old candle (to wax knife)
- Floral knife or serrated kitchen knife
- Wood burning tool
- Letter stencils (optional)
- Straight pins
- Square edged floral picks
- White craft glue or low melt glue gun
- Acrylic Spray Paint:
- golden yellow
- flat white
- light green
- Assorted dried flowers
- Spanish moss
- Ceramic or real jack-o'-lantern (optional)
- Cut one of the 2" x 12" x 36" foam sheets into two halves, each 2" x 12" x 18". Using a waxed knife, cut a tombstone shape from each half. If desired, cut a cross shape from foam scraps; attach to top of tombstone using glue and floral pick.
- Pin stencils to the surface of tombstones and trace appropriate letters with a wood burning tool; or, sketch letters freehand. Etch cracks, borders, scrolls and other design details freehand with the wood burning tool. (Always work in a well-ventilated area when using heat with STYROFOAM Brand Products. To avoid possible burns, do not touch molten foam with your unprotected hand.)
- Spray letters and details heavily with black paint. Using silver paint, spray tombstones at an extreme angle to cover tombstone surface without filling in black details. For a muted gray color, spray flat white paint at the same angle across the tombstone. If a more aged look is desired, lightly spray tombstones with light green paint, again at an angle.
- If black lettering and details have become hard to read, touch up with black paint.
- Cut bottoms of tombstones at an angle; using floral picks and hot glue, attach tombstones to remaining sheet of plastic foam.
- Spray paint disc golden yellow; attach to base with long floral pick dipped in glue at both ends. Be sure pick is hidden behind tombstones.
- Trim base to desired size; decorate with your choice of Spanish moss, branches, twigs, dried flowers and leaves. Add optional jack-o'-lantern or other Halloween decorations.
CREATIVE DESIGN TIPS
Cutting: A serrated knife, hacksaw, floral knife, or X-acto� knife easily cuts through STYROFOAM Brand Products. Wax the knife blade for easier, smoother cuts. Sanding: For smooth, round edges, "sand" the foam with another piece of STYROFOAM Brand Products. For large pieces, cut first and then sand to the final shape.
Painting: Spray paint with acrylic paints. Enamel or lacquer-based paints may contain active solvents that can damage foam. (See paint manufacturer's instructions for details.)
Gluing: White craft glue is ideal for STYROFOAM Brand Products. Use floral picks or toothpicks to hold the pieces together until dried. For faster bonding, try a low melt glue gun; hot glue guns can be used, but they will melt a small portion of the foam. (Please follow manufacturer's safety instructions when operating a glue gun.)
®™ Trademark of The Dow Chemical Company ("Dow") or an affiliated company of Dow. For more project ideas, please see styrofoamstyle.com.