Repurposed Soda Can Wall Art
Before you toss your soda can, take a second to consider the creative possibilities! Make Repurposed Soda Can Wall Art from Tiffany Windsor and find a sense of empowerment! Repurposing materials for crafts like this is a great green option.
- Julianna Hudgins Spellbinders Dies (available at your local scrapbook, craft and hobby stores. Visit www.spellbinderspaperarts.com for store locations): LF-013 Jewel Goddess, S5-097 Jewel Treasures, S5-098 Jewel Stones
- Soda cans
- Craft knife
- Scissors (I use dollar store scissors to cut soda cans)
- Jacquard Pinata Alcohol Inks (colors of your choice)
- Jacquard Extender
- Cosmetic sponge(s) (I cut each sponge into several pieces)
- Craft wire (colors of your choice for jump rings and hair) or purchase ready-made jump rings
- Pencil – for wrapping to create jump rings
- Wire cutters
- Round nose pliers
- Select soda cans that are large enough for the small goddess die. (I used Monster Drink.) Cut the top and bottom off with a craft knife and then cut down one side with scissors to create a flat piece. To help the soda can lay flat, roll the opposite way.
- Keep a hold of the tightly rolled can for a few seconds and then lay it back on your work surface.
- Prepare the die for cutting by placing on the silver side of soda can. Next place it between the Grand Calibur cutting pads and run through machine.
- Once you have cut your piece, leave it in the die and place it on the embossing pads and run through machine. Your piece will now be cut and embossed.
- Carefully remove the soda can from the die.
- Your piece should now look like this. If you want, you can add more embossing design detail with stylus.
- Lay shape on work surface and add inks.
- Dab inks with sponge to cover entire surface.
- Continue to blend.
- If desired, add more ink colors.
- Blend together until you have achieve the coloring you desire.
- If desired, spray Extender over the ink to create splotches on the color.
- Cut additional pieces from Stone die shapes and color with alcohol inks.
- To create the head, cut a piece of soda can to the approximate size that you want the head. Place the Swirl die face down on the printed side and run through the embossing plates only.
- Remove die carefully to reveal the design. Use scissors to cut to exact head size. Color with alcohol inks.
- To create jump rings, wrap wire around pencil. Cut every other loop to create a doubled jump ring.
- Punch holes at top and bottom of all pieces and additional holes for head.
- Join all the pieces together with the jump rings.
- To create hair, use pliers to create swirls on end of wires. Insert through a punched hole and insert straight end up through another hole. Use pliers to create swirl in remaining end. Repeat until you have created desired wired hair effect.
For a comprehensive video tutorial of this project, check out How to Make Soda Can Goddess Wall Art.
Read NextDIY Hub Cap Flowers