It’s easy to dress up inexpensive plastic bath accessories to look like those from expensive specialty stores, thanks to Krylon.
- Krylon Fusion for Plastic® Metallic Shimmer - Blonde (#2339)
- Krylon Fusion for Plastic® - Black (#2519)
- Plastic wastepaper can
- Plastic tissue box cover
- Plastic or ceramic hand lotion dispenser
- Embossed leaf wallpaper border (prepasted)
- Sharp scissors
- All-purpose white household glue (optional)
- Ammonia-based cleaner or paint thinner
- Using ammonia-based cleaner, wipe down plastic pieces to remove any dust or particles. If the plastic is new, wipe down with paint thinner for best results.
- From the wallpaper border, cut out each leaf motif carefully.
- When all motifs are cut out, immerse the leaves into water. Then carefully match the leaves up two by two so they can be placed pasted side together to activate the adhesive. This is known as “booking.” Allow leaves to book for 5 to 10 minutes (refer to individual manufacturer’s instructions for exact time).
- Arrange leaves in a random pattern around wastebasket, tissue box cover and hand lotion dispenser (remove pump mechanism). Press all edges down firmly to secure. Allow to dry completely. Please Note: If, after the adhesive has dried you notice edges lifting, add some white household glue to these areas to secure again in place. Allow to dry.
- In a well-ventilated place, spray the entire surfaces of all three items with Flat Black. Allow to dry. Repeat if necessary to achieve full coverage.
- Lightly spray in spurts the Blonde Shimmer; you just want a mist of gold applied over the black to create a brass-like appearance. Allow to dry completely. Replace pump mechanism on hand lotion dispenser.
- If you get a little heavy-handed with the Blonde Shimmer, simply mist the Flat Black over the heavy area to soften the look.
For more project ideas, please visit www.krylon.com/projects.
Read NextBath Salts for Cold and Sinus