Has this ever happened to you? Your sister or best friend has announced that she’s expecting, so one of your first thoughts is that you should knit or crochet an adorable baby blanket. If you’re a crafter, it’s only natural that you want to welcome the newest addition to your family by giving a handmade item. From baby blankets to wee little booties, the possibilities for making handmade items are almost endless. Need a little helping finding the best yarn for baby patterns? Then you’re in the right place.
Machine-Washable Yarn? Yes, Please!
You’ve selected the perfect baby pattern to knit or crochet, so now it’s time to think yarn! When selecting the best yarn for baby patterns, some types of yarn would be better choices than others for your project than others. Because let’s be honest. While babies are cute and cuddly, they can also be messy. Really messy. And for many bleary-eyed new parents, trying to figure out the best way to launder a beautiful knit blanket or hat is low on the to-do list. With that in mind, consider acrylic yarn for your project. This type of yarn is typically machine-washable and easy to clean. If you’d like, you can also print care instructions on pretty paper, then attach the paper to your handmade item. The new parents will appreciate having instructions on how to clean the beautiful baby blanket you made right at their fingertips.
Select Yarn That Is As Soft As Can Be
For many people, the thought of wearing a wool sweater right against the skin sounds, to put it politely, uncomfortable. Babies will feel the same way. Their skin is sensitive, so putting a baby in an itchy wool blanket or sweater will make them feel annoyed. And an uncomfortable baby is a baby who will probably cry a lot. What’s a knitter or crocheter to do? Use yarn that feels soft to you for use in your pattern. If that yarn feels itchy, then The Spruce suggests putting it back and selecting another type of yarn. If you’re purchasing your yarn online, then consider opting for yarn that is specifically for use in baby patterns. For example, Red Heart Baby Hugs Yarn is warm, soft, and colorful. It is also free from harmful levels of substances (you can check out a review of this time via AllFreeCrochet.com). Other brands, including Lion Brand and Bernat, offer a selection of yarns that are just for babies, too.
Bulky Yarn Is Your Friend For Last-Minute Gifts
Let’s face it: Babies are born on their own schedules, and they’re almost never on time. If you’re looking for a baby item that can be made in a tight time frame due to a little one’s early arrival, then turn your attention to beautiful bulky yarn patterns. These baby patterns are typically quick and easy to make. This type of yarn is best for baby patterns that are no-frills, but are still beautiful and warm and will make a wonderful keepsake. You’ll love how quick and easy it is to crochet or knit a baby blanket with this yarn if time is of the essence.
Now it’s time to grab your knitting needles or crochet hooks and get to work on a baby pattern found on FaveCrafts! You’ll feel inspired when you see this list of baby patterns.
- The Coziest Crocheted Baby Blanket Ever — The name says it all!
- Beehive Baby Crocheted Beanie Hat
- Baby Pullover Sweater
- Little Prince Afghan
- Quick and Easy Preemie Hat — Perfect for a last-minute gift idea!
- One Piece Baby Sweater
- Easy Top-Down Sweater Free Crochet Pattern
- Franny Crochet Baby Blanket
- Easy to Knit Sweet Baby Hat —This hat is as adorable as can be!
- Baby Crochet Monkey Hat
- Yellow Bow Easy Crochet Baby Booties — So unbelievably cute!
- Mary Jane Baby Bootie Crochet Pattern
- Precious Pink Baby Afghan
- Baby Pea Pod Snuggly
- Super Easy Knit Baby Booties
- Day of the Week Bibs and Booties — Take coordination to the next level with this adorable pattern!
- BONUS: Types of Yarn for Knitting or Crochet — Check out this guide before you start your next project!
What is your favorite yarn to use for baby patterns?
Latest posts by FaveCrafts (see all)
- 6 Ways to Donate Your Handcrafts to Kids in Need Around the World through OCC - October 18, 2017
- New Ways to Share and Save on Prime Publishing LLC Sites - October 12, 2017
- 7 Absurdly Easy Afghans for Beginners - October 9, 2017