Can You Wash Craft Felt?
Craft felt is known for being incredibly delicate. But there's no reason you can't wash it!
Felt is great for all kinds of crafts, but as with many crafts, felt crafts can get dirty over time. Felt in particular is very succeptable to staining and absorbing odor. But can you wash craft felt?
The answer is yes, but proceed with caution!
If you work with craft felt a lot, you know that felt is incredibly delicate. We highly suggest handwashing your felt, but it is possible to machine wash it, if done properly.
Pro Tip: If you are working on a project with craft felt that you think might need to be washed in the future, consider prewashing it by soaking it in warm, soapy water. This will bind the fibers close together, so you don't have to worry about that happening when you wash it later.
How to Hand Wash Felt
We highly recommend using the hand washing method for felt, especially for those projects that have sentimental value. Yes, it's a little bit more work, but hand washing gets felt just as clean as machine washing but without the risk of ruining the fabric.
- Fill your sink or tub with cold water and detergent.
- Completely submerge the felt.
- Let the felt soak in the water for a few minutes, working out the stains with your fingers.
- Use a soft toothbrush to lightly scrub out the tougher stains.
- Wring the felt completely. Felt absorbs water easily, and if you do not wring it out, it will trap that water in its fibers, causing mold to grow.
- Let it air dry!
How to Machine Wash Felt
While machine washing is not the best way to wash your felt, it is still possible if you proceed with caution. Machine washing felt is probably better saved for large batches of felt, where you don't have to worry as much about the water overfilling.
- Machine wash with cold water on a delicate cycle.
- Make sure the machine does not fill all the way with water. Too much water can ruin the felt and alter its shape. You want the water to just cover the felt.
- Run the felt through the entire washing cycle.
- Air dry. Do not put felt in the dryer!
Do you have any tips or tricks for washing craft felt?
Let us know in the comments!