Anytime Tie Dye Scarf
The Anytime Tie Dye Scarf is as fantastic as the name makes it sound because you can dress up any outfit with it. This craft has a little bit of everything: sewing, dyeing, and painting with dimensional paint. The sewing part of this project is minimal, so if you are a beginner, do not be intimidated. After only a few steps, you have a unique scarf that you will want to flaunt at every occasion because you made it yourself. There is a lot of artistic license with this tie dye scarf, so show off your inner artist!
Primary TechniqueGeneral Crafts
- Tulip® One-Step Tie-Dye Kit® Red
- Tulip® One-Step Tie-Dye Kit® Black
- Tulip® One-Step Tie-Dye Kit® Green
- Tulip® Slick™ 3D Fashion Paint Gold Metallics
- Disposable plastic table cover
- (4) Disposable plastic containers
- (1) Yard 100% rayon fabric
- Sewing machine with 100% cotton white thread
- 3” Paintbrush
- Pre-wash fabric in cool water to remove sizing. Dry in dryer.
- Tear two 15” wide lengths of rayon fabric. Use sewing machine to stitch together to create long strip. From center seam, mark off 77” length and tear ends.
- Cover work surface with plastic table cover. Dampen fabric and lay out smoothly on protected work surface.
- Mix dye colors according to package instructions and pour into empty containers. Dilute each container with dye by filling with more water.
- Dip brush into Green dye and brush in center section of scarf. Alternate the Red and Green sections leaving an opening between the two colors. Saturate the two colors well. Rinse brush between applying colors.
- Dip brush into the Black and color the areas between the red and green. Brush slightly into the colors to blend and enrich the Red and Green. Saturate the colors well.
- Cover the scarf with plastic and let set 6-8 hours.
- Rinse scarf and cold wash. Dry and press smooth.
- Lay out scarf flat on table. Make loose swirls or design of choice using the Gold Metallic dimensional paint. Let dry.
If you love tie dye, find our most popular collection of patterns at 100+ Tie Dye Patterns and Techniques.
Read NextTie Dye No-Sew Sock Bunnies
Tags / Related Topics
Your Recently Viewed Projects
Report Inappropriate Comment
Are you sure you would like to report this comment? It will be flagged for our moderators to take action.
Thank you for taking the time to improve the content on our site.
Join our community of 5 million crafters!
- Get free craft projects, exclusive partner offers, and more.
- Information Use