Anchors Away Tie Dye Bag
Get ready for summer sailing with the Anchors Away Tie Dye Bag. This tote bag with a nautical design was created using tie dye, paint, and gemstones. Because the tie dye method is a one-step process, this craft is much easier than it looks. You can use the colors in the tutorial or alter this design for your own preferences. This tote bag would be a perfect gift for anyone who loves the sea or boating, and it would work well as a beach bag, too.
Primary TechniqueGeneral Crafts
- Tulip® One-Step Tie-Dye Kit® Turquoise
- Tulip® One-Step Tie-Dye Kit® Blue
- Scribbles® Permanent Fabric Markers: Dual Tip Primary 6 Pack
- Multi-Colored Tulip® Glam-It-Up!™ Iron-On Crystals™
- Tulip® Soft Fabric Paint™: Crimson Red 1 oz
- White tote
- Computer and printer
- Contact paper
- Felt pen
- Plastic tablecloth/trash bag
- Craft knife
- Prewash tote to remove sizing. Do not use fabric softener.
- Cover work surface with plastic tablecloth. Lay very damp tote on prepared surface.
- Wearing rubber gloves, add water to dye bottles to line indicated. Replace caps tightly and shake until dye is dissolved.
- Squeeze out Blue dye onto the bottom of very damp tote. Note: Dye should “bleed” upwards, so make sure tote is extremely damp for maximum effect.
- Squeeze Turquoise dye onto section just above Blue, extending up toward top of bag, but leaving top white.
- Cover fabric with plastic tablecloth or trash bag. Let sit 4-6 hours. Wash in a large load of water with a small amount of laundry soap then dry in dryer if possible or line dry.
- Use computer to find and print out a large anchor design. Print out a large anchor design. Use felt pen to trace anchor design onto contact paper, then cut out with craft knife, leaving outside edges intact. Peel backing from anchor stencil and position sticky side down onto tote where shown.
- Pour a puddle of Crimson Red Soft Fabric Paint™ onto foil. Tap sponge into paint and dab into stencil on bag until fabric is completely covered. Remove stencil and let dry.
- Use Fashion Art Tweezers™ to place Red Iron-On Crystals™ along boarder of the anchor. Adhere crystals in place with Cordless Heat-Setting Tool™ according to package instructions.
- Use Red Spirit™ Fabric Marker™ to write “AHOY” alongside the anchor.
Read NextSunburst Tie Dye Technique