How to Use Shrink Plastic
Use these easy shrink plastic instructions to turn images or patterns into unique embellishments. Shrink plastic is a great way to turn an icon or drawing into a piece of jewelry or charm. For a photo tutorial for shrinking plastic in the oven, check out this article.
- Shrink Plastic: A variety of colors are available plus clear and opaque.
- Sharp Scissors
- Fine Sanding Paper
- Toaster Oven or Oven or Heat Tool
- Cooking sheet for toaster oven or oven
- Hole paper punch
- Permanent inks, oil coloring pencils
- Optional: Computer printer to print images
Step By Step
- This product will shrink over 50% of the original size when heated.
- Be aware that shrink plastic does have a grain.
- Lightly sand the shrink plastic before applying ink or oil based colored pencils.
- Stamp or draw an image. Color. Cut out if desired.
- It is best to color the plastic before heating.
- If creating a charm, you must hold punch the shrink plastic BEFORE heating or baking.
- Following manufacturer’s instructions, “bake” shrink plastic in toaster oven or oven. Do not leave unattended. Watch the shrink plastic. It will take a few minutes, but the shrink plastic will begin to shrink. Average baking time is approximately 3-5 minutes. It is done when the plastic remains flat and not moving. Remove from oven and allow to cool completely before touching.
- Another heating option is to use your heat tool. Place the shrink plastic in a box and begin to apply heat to it with heat tool or heat gun. It will move about, but keep heating until shrinking is complete.
- Avoid trying to heat shrink plastic too quickly because it can curl and if not careful it will curl on itself. You can flatten with a metal or wood spoon.
- Smaller items will curl quickly and flatten faster than larger pieces.
- Make your own custom buttons.
- When inking your project be sure to use a heat setting ink such pigment inks for best results or use permanent ink.
- If using chalks be certain to use non-oil chalk pastels.
- Trace a child or baby’s foot or hand to make a unique embellishment or charm
- Use punches and make your own confetti
- Cut out tag shapes
- You can use rubberstamp images, hand drawn images, trace die cuts, letters, or template shapes. Just keep in mind that the image will be very small.