Metallic DIY Tote Bag
Learn how to make a tote bag with gilded shine when you check out this DIY craft!
By: Laura Bray from laurabraydesigns.com
We are adding the craft to your Craft Projects.
The project was added to your Craft Projects.
In the Designer's Words: "I love tote bags! I use them to keep myself organized, save the environment, and as accessories. This metallic tote is as fashionable as it is functional. Paint extra fabric so you always have some on hand for other projects. This technique would be great for making purses and pillows and other sewing projects."
Fabulous and functional, this free tote bag pattern and craft will add some serious shimmer to your life. Whether you want to cart this bright beauty on a dull grey day or bring it to the beach, the Metallic DIY Tote Bag is an easy sewing pattern and painting project with an insanely chic design. You are going to love adding this lovely homemade tote bag to your collection of purses. This bag makes a great grocery store tote, as well. As big and sturdy as it is beautiful, you will not regret making this useful DIY craft.
Project TypeLearn a Technique
Time to CompleteWeekend project
- 1 yard Oly*Fun Metallics. I used Gold.
- Folkart Multi-Surface Paints in Bright Pink and White.
- Fokart Stencil1 Laser Stencil-Mum
How to paint Oly*Fun Metallic fabric: Lay-out the fabric, shiny side up. Using painter's tape affix the stencil to your fabric.
Dab the fabric with paint. Once the design is filled in, gently pull the stencil off the fabric.
Continue stenciling a design on the fabric in whatever pattern you choose.
Once you are happy with the painted on design, allow the paint to dry/set completely before you use it to sew with. Note: The metallic fabric cannot be ironed, and mine got crinkly because I lined the bag and had to pull the fabric through a small opening. I like the way it looks, but if you prefer a smoother finish, you may want to use a tote bag pattern that requires less handling and pulling.
Pick your favorite tote bag pattern or tutorial from the Favecrafts website and use your painted, metallic fabric to sew up a beautiful bag
Your Recently Viewed Projects
Love these projects? Get MORE delivered to your Inbox – FREE Click Here!
Report Inappropriate Comment
Are you sure you would like to report this comment? It will be flagged for our moderators to take action.
Thank you for taking the time to improve the content on our site.
- 11 Crochet Shawl Patterns: Crochet Poncho Patterns, Free Easy Crochet Patterns and More
- 12 Knitted Scarf Patterns: Fabulous Free Knitting Patterns for Beginners
- 14 Free Crochet Patterns for Babies and Toddlers
- 16 Free Crochet Hat Patterns, Scarves, and Gloves
- 22 Free Crochet Patterns: Afghan Patterns, Crochet Hats, and More
- 24 Quick and Easy Knitting Patterns
- 7 Adult Coloring Pages
- 8 Free Apron Sewing Patterns
- Easy Lace Knitting Patterns
- Quick & Easy Decoupage: 12 Fabulous Mod Podge Projects for Your Home