We are adding the craft to your Craft Projects.
The project was added to your Craft Projects.
This intermediate knitting pattern creates a comfortable beret with cable pattern. Slouchy berets like in this beret knitting pattern are a stylish way to keep warm all winter long. Beret may be made larger or smaller by changing needle sizes.
- Yarn: Caron International's Simply Soft Quick (100% acrylic; 3 oz/85 g, 50 yds/46 m skein): 2 skeins Shown in: #0016 Black
- Knitting Needles: One circular needle size US 9 (5.5 mm), 16 or 24" long, One circular needle size US 11 (8 mm), 16 or 24" long, or size to obtain gauge, One set of double pointed needles (dpn) size US 11 (8 mm)
- Cable needle
- Stitch marker
- Yarn Needle
- Row counter (optional)
Size: Beret measures approximately 22" in circumference by 8" tall
Gauge: In Stockinette stitch, 10 sts and 15 rows = 4"/10 cm, using larger needle
C4B: Slip next 2 stitches to cable needle, hold to back, k2, k2 from cable needle.
C4F: Slip next 2 stitches to cable needle, hold to front, k2, k2 from cable needle.
k2tog (decrease): Knit 2 sts together through the front loops.
M1: Make 1 (increase) – Lift strand between needles to LH needle and work strand through the back loop, twisting it to prevent a hole.
Stockinette stitch (St st): Knit every round.
1 x 1 rib (multiple of 2 sts)
Round 1: * K1, p1; repeat from * around.
Round 2: Knit the knit sts and purl the purl sts as they face you.
Repeat Row 2 for 1 x 1 rib.
Cable Pattern (multiple of 8 sts + 1)
Rnds 1 and 2: Knit.
Round 3: K1, * C4F, k4; repeat from * around.
Rounds 4 – 6: Knit
Round 7: * C4B, k4; repeat from * around to last st, k1.
Round 8: Knit.
Repeat Rounds 1 – 8 for Cable pattern.
Tip: Place a marker (pm) at beginning of round, and move up each round.
Using smaller needle, loosely cast on 52 sts.
Join, being careful not to twist sts; pm for beginning of round.
Begin St st; work even for 4 rounds.
Change to 1 x 1 rib; work even for 6 rounds.
Increase 21 sts around as follows: [K2, M1] 21 times, knit to end of round—73 sts.
Change to larger needle; knit 1 round, increasing 8 sts evenly around—81 sts.
Begin Cable patt; work Rounds 3 – 8 once, Rounds 1 – 8 once.
Note: Change to double pointed needles on Round 7, or as needed.
Rounds 1, 2 and all even numbered rounds: Knit.
Round 3: K1, * C4F, k1, k2tog, k1; repeat from * around—71 sts remain.
Round 5: * K5, k2tog; repeat from * around to last st, k1—61 sts remain.
Round 7: * K1, k2tog; repeat from * around to last st, k1—41 sts remain.
Round 9: * k2tog; repeat from * around to last st, k1—21 sts remain.
Round 11: Repeat Round 9—11 sts remain.
Round 12: Repeat Round 2.
Cut yarn, leaving an 18" tail.
Thread yarn needle with tail, run tail through remaining sts; pull to gather top and fasten off securely.
Using yarn needle, weave in ends.
Your Recently Viewed Projects
Love these projects? Get MORE delivered to your Inbox – FREE Click Here!
Report Inappropriate Comment
Are you sure you would like to report this comment? It will be flagged for our moderators to take action.
Thank you for taking the time to improve the content on our site.
- Beginner's Favorite Knitted Hat
- 19 Free Hat Knitting Patterns
- Men's Winter Hat and Scarf
- Double Knit Hat with Earflaps
- Vintage Tie Up Headband Knitting Pattern
- Convertible Cowl Knitting Pattern
- Bulky Mustard Knit Beanie
- Chunky Winter Cable Knit Hat
- Chunky Cable Hat Knitting Pattern
- Bright and Colorful Loom Knit Hat
- 11 Crochet Shawl Patterns: Crochet Poncho Patterns, Free Easy Crochet Patterns and More
- 12 Knitted Scarf Patterns: Fabulous Free Knitting Patterns for Beginners
- 14 Free Crochet Patterns for Babies and Toddlers
- 16 Free Crochet Hat Patterns, Scarves, and Gloves
- 22 Free Crochet Patterns: Afghan Patterns, Crochet Hats, and More
- 24 Quick and Easy Knitting Patterns
- 7 Adult Coloring Pages
- 8 Free Apron Sewing Patterns
- Easy Lace Knitting Patterns
- Quick & Easy Decoupage: 12 Fabulous Mod Podge Projects for Your Home
Our Newest Projects & Articles
- 11 Easter Crafts for Kids
- 100+ Easter Crafts
- Duo of Bears Unisex Baby T-Shirt
- Cross My Heart Treat Bag
- How to Sew a Zipper into a Lined Skirt
- Tiny Valentine Gift Boxes
- Pretty Hearts Hot Pad
- DIY Mini Pallet Photo Magnets
- Padded Denim Hearts for Decoration or Keyring
- Faux Topiary Heart Place Card Holders