American Flag Loom Knit Hat: Version 3
By: Michael Sellick
We are adding the craft to your Craft Projects.
The project was added to your Craft Projects.
Make a patriotic American flag hat with this loom knitting from Michael Sellick. Version 2 features a stripe brim and solid blue top. You will find a complete video tutorial to help you follow this loom knitting pattern and bonus videos to help you embellish the hat.
- Standard Round Loom 31 Peg Loom - Most Good Crafting Stores and Huge Retailers will have these looms. They are usually provided in a standard package of 4 Size Looms.
- 3 Colours of Yarn. Red, White, & Blue. Ensure each colour is in the same family of brightness and colour tones. Yarn used was Bernat 4 Ply Worsted.
Tips: Due to the gauge (space between pegs). You need to wrap each row twice. You can either wrap two same colour yarns together at one time, or simple double wrap (going around the loom twice for each row). 1 Wrap or 1 String will produce poor results and a very loose look that is sloppy looking.
We are going to use the TWISTED KNIT STITCH during this entire project. Numbers in front of each description represents rows. I divide the project into two. You are creating the brim in part 1, then body in part 2
Starting With The Brim Creation
- Cast On Using White Yarn Only. E-WRAP every peg and circle the loom twice to complete 1 row of work, the KNIT. This doubles up the yarn producing store quality looks and texture. Do not cut string or cast off White. Let the string rest on the outside of the loom where the last peg was wrapped. DO THIS TECHNIQUE the entire colour changing for the brim.
- Cast On Using Red Yarn. E-WRAP every peg and circle the loom twice to complete 1 row of work, the KNIT. Do not cut string or cast off Red. Be sure to check when wrapping that the string you are not using is sitting in a part of the pegs.
- Using WHITE ONLY, WRAP TWICE, then Knit.
- Using RED ONLY, WRAP TWICE, then knit.
- Using WHITE ONLY, WRAP TWICE, then Knit.
- Using RED ONLY, WRAP TWICE then Knit.
- Using WHITE Only, WRAP TWICE, then Knit.
- Using RED ONLY, WRAP TWICE, then Knit. Tie off RED onto the last peg. Red is finished for this project now.
- Using WHITE ONLY, WRAP TWICE, Then Knit... Then tie off white onto the last peg. White is finished for this project.
- Tie on BLUE YARN on the starting peg of the rotation. E-Wrap entire loom ONLY ONCE. Then look at project, follow knitting line down from the peg, fold up and place the very bottom of the corresponding section onto the peg. At this time you will have 2 strings from the white on the peg, 1 string from BLUE, and then 2 white strings from the bottom of the work due to the folding up. KNIT over the peg sending the BLUE YARN OVER FIRST, FOLLOWED BY the two bottom WHITE YARN SECOND. This will leave on the pegs the bottom sections that were placed onto the peg. IT IS IMPORTANT THAT YOU GO IN THE ORDER AS MENTIONED... if you change up the order, the brim seam will look different for each knitted peg.
The Body of The Hat
- Using BLUE, E-WRAP Loom Twice, Then Knit.
- Cast Off Using Sewing Needle picking up each loop sliding the needle from the bottom of the peg up under the loop and sliding loop onto the string. Picking up all the loops as you go. Once all loops are picked up, loom will come free of project. pull string tight which causes the top of the hat to form. Sew shut with 3 really tight loops over the top of the hat... then slide needle through the top of the project. Turn hat inside out and tie string off.
OPTIONAL: I would decorate the blue area with a large crochet star at the front of the hat. It would finish it off nicely.
Video Tutorial- How to Loom Knit American Flag Hat- Version 3
Bonus Video Tutorials
Crochet Mini Star for American Hats
How To Make Pom-Pons For American Flag Hats
Your Recently Viewed Projects
Love these projects? Get MORE delivered to your Inbox – FREE Click Here!
Report Inappropriate Comment
Are you sure you would like to report this comment? It will be flagged for our moderators to take action.
Thank you for taking the time to improve the content on our site.
- 11 Crochet Shawl Patterns: Crochet Poncho Patterns, Free Easy Crochet Patterns and More
- 12 Knitted Scarf Patterns: Fabulous Free Knitting Patterns for Beginners
- 14 Free Crochet Patterns for Babies and Toddlers
- 16 Free Crochet Hat Patterns, Scarves, and Gloves
- 22 Free Crochet Patterns: Afghan Patterns, Crochet Hats, and More
- 24 Quick and Easy Knitting Patterns
- 7 Adult Coloring Pages
- 8 Free Apron Sewing Patterns
- Easy Lace Knitting Patterns
- Quick & Easy Decoupage: 12 Fabulous Mod Podge Projects for Your Home