We are adding the craft to your Craft Projects.
The project was added to your Craft Projects.
This great sweater from Authentic Knitting Board is great if you're looking for free knitted sweater patterns for women. It's fast and easy to knit in only 2 pieces. Cap sleeves are knit into the front and back pieces. Neckline is boatneck. Length sits at hipline.
Sizes: Sm (8-10), M (12-14), Lg (16-18)
- Yarn is Brown Sheep Worsted 85% wool, 15% mohair Blue (2) skeins, Green (2) skeins Large (3) skeins of each color
- 28” knitting board
- Knit hook
- Crochet hook
- Large sewing needle
Gauge: 3 sts=1” 3.5 rows=1”
Size (approximate) Length Chest
Small 18” 34”
Medium 20” 38”
Large 24” 44”
- Cast On 52, (56), 64 Sts with blue yarn. BE SURE TO CAST ON IN CENTER OF KNITTING BOARD AS YOU WILL NEED ALL NEEDLES TO COMPLETE EACH PIECE.
- Each color stripe is 14, (16), 18 Rows
- At each color change, cut yarn and tie in new color.
- Complete 3 stripes: (1) blue, (1) green, (1) blue
- Tie on color green. Start increase for arm in green.
- Increase (1) st each end for 6 rows. (both boards). Do this increase on stitch 1. Do the next increase on next row on stitch 3. Keep alternating the stitch that you do the increase to so that the same stitch is not stretched out every row. Do the same increase to the other end.
Extending the Sleeve:
- Cut yarn.
- Add additional 6 (6), 4 sts to each side of the board.
- This is how: Make new loop knot in end of yarn. Place loop on needle on left side of board at 6, (6), 4 needles from beginning of current knitting. Weave in Stockinette to meet tail of cut yarn. Tie the yarn tail to current yarn very securely. Continue the row across the knitting and out to right side for another 6, (6), 4 needles. Do complete circular on all stitches. Hook over original stitches that have 2 wraps. Do nothing to new stitches as they have only one loop.
- Lay (2) new anchor yarns over the extended new sts on each end of the board.
- Continue in Stockinette with same color stripe for another 14, (16), 18 rows.
- Cut yarn and tie in blue yarn. Leave in anchor yarns in sleeves.
- Knit in blue for last stripe. Knit 12, (14), 16 rows to shoulder and neckline.
- Next row, decrease (1) st each end. Do this decrease row (2) times.
- Start at end opposite from yarn tail. Use crochet hook. Lift first stitch front and back.
- Pull one loop thru other loop. Pick up next loop from opposite board. Pull one thru one.
- Continue by alternating the boards, until the piece is free of the board. Tie knot by
- pulling tail of yarn thru last loop.
- Bind off edge at anchor yarn loosely for hemline by pulling one loop thru one.
- Repeat all for the back of sweater.
SEWING IT ALL TOGETHER:
- After both front and back of sweater are complete, lay both pieces together, matching
- edges and stripes. Use the coordinating yarn for each stripe. Start sewing at under arm
- and work out to edge of sleeve. Return to arm and work out to hemline matching the
- stripes. Be sure to do your knots about 1” in from edges and tuck in tails of yarn.
SHOULDERS AND NECKLINE:
- Leave center open for neckline aprox (32) to (36) stitches depending on desired opening.
- Sew with invisible stitch from neckline to outer shoulder (sleeve) for each shoulder.
- Reinforce the sewing at neckline.
- Using the blue or green color yarn, complete with crochet edge around armhole. (cap sleeve)
- Start at under arm. Insert crochet hook to edge stitch. Wrap new yarn around hook, leaving tail of 3-4”, and pull thru the stitch. Pick up next stitch, wrap the yarn, and pull thru. Do this around the sleeve by inserting the hook into every other stitch. If you prefer a looser edge, insert into every stitch. Return to under arm and knot with beginning tail of yarn. Pull tails of yarn into knit.
- Your Bold Stripe Sweater is ready to wear alone or over your favorite turtleneck.
Free projects, giveaways, exclusive partner offers, and more straight to your inbox!
Your Recently Viewed Projects
Report Inappropriate Comment
Are you sure you would like to report this comment? It will be flagged for our moderators to take action.
Thank you for taking the time to improve the content on our site.
Project of the Day
"A gathered waist dress pattern is the perfect clothing item for summer! Fun and easy to sew, this women's summer dress pattern and… Continue reading: "Gathered Waist Summer Dress Pattern"
Our Newest Projects & Articles
- Free Little Black Dress Pattern
- Honey Chocolate Cowl
- C2c Jaguar
- Mirror Sparkle Ornament
- Classic Striped Dish Towel
- Crochet Wave Stitch Afghan Pattern
- Baby Penguin Amigurumi
- Beginner Friendly Crochet Afghan Pattern
- How to Crochet a Scrubby with Scrubby Yarn
- How To Make Fairy Wings For Dolls
- 11 Crochet Shawl Patterns: Crochet Poncho Patterns, Free Easy Crochet Patterns and More
- 12 Knitted Scarf Patterns: Fabulous Free Knitting Patterns for Beginners
- 14 Free Crochet Patterns for Babies and Toddlers
- 16 Free Crochet Hat Patterns, Scarves, and Gloves
- 22 Free Crochet Patterns: Afghan Patterns, Crochet Hats, and More
- 24 Quick and Easy Knitting Patterns
- 7 Adult Coloring Pages
- 8 Free Apron Sewing Patterns
- Easy Lace Knitting Patterns
- Quick & Easy Decoupage: 12 Fabulous Mod Podge Projects for Your Home