Day of the Dead Decorative Skull
This beautiful Day of the Dead Decorative Skull might just be the perfect Halloween decoration idea for your home this year. While everyone is celebrating the monsters and ghouls, don't forget to pay a little tribute to the spirits that have passed on. This paper mache skull is fun to make, and you will have a great experience as you adorn your skull with colored beads. Friends and neighbors will be marveling at this unique Halloween decorating idea.
- Paper mache skull
- White acrylic paint
- Sponge brush
- Size 11/0 seed beads in assorted colors
- Aleene's Glitter and Gem Glue
- Sheet of parchment paper
- Plastic lid / bead tray
- Cover your work surface with some parchment paper. Squirt a quarter-size amount of paint onto the paper and proceed to paint the skull. It will need two coats of paint. Allow the paint to dry between each layer. Hint: I use parchment paper on my craft table to keep wet objects from sticking to table surface. The paper will easily peel away.
- Lightly sketch your design onto the skull using a pencil. Pour your first color of beads into the bead tray. Trace your first shape with a line of glue. Tip the toothpick into the glue. This adds just enough tackiness to use as a tool for picking up a bead and positioning into place.
- Working in small sections, fill in your entire design with beads. To keep mine lightweight, I didn't cover the background, simply the foreground / design.
Read NextMake Your Own Wand DIY