DIY Succulent Tree
We are adding the craft to your Craft Projects.
The project was added to your Craft Projects.
From the blogger: "Last year we had such a hot summer that one of my tree ferns did not survive. Weeks of 40+ degree celsius were just too much with the added fact that I did not water it as much as I should have. The thought of digging out the roots were not happy ones, so I repurposed it into a succulent tree instead! I added some lining into the gaps and added soil and succulent plants for this cute garden feature."
To start, cut away all the died branches so that you have space for your succulents
To add support for the succulents and keep the soil from washing away in the rain, you can use a hanging basket liner. It looks like it is made from coconut fibre. Cut out a triangle shape big enough to go into the area you have in mind.
Put the coconut fibre liner into the gaps, using the branches to hold it in place. The point of the triangle is folded up at the end to keep the soil from falling out. The liner will also hold water to keep the soil moist. Next, add soil suitable for succulents and put in your plant.
Start at the top and work your way down. It is easier to cut away the branches you don’t need as you go along. Don’t cut the branches right down to the base because they help to keep the soil in place.
Repeat the same process until all your succulents are planted.
I did not plant right down to the bottom because the top layers block all the sun. If they thrive as they do in my pots, I will go back at a later stage and add more to the lower part of the tree. To finish off the succulent tree I bought some new decorative bark for the flowerbed. To water the plants, a spray bottle works great. They don’t like too much water.
Free projects, giveaways, exclusive partner offers, and more straight to your inbox!
Your Recently Viewed Projects
Report Inappropriate Comment
Are you sure you would like to report this comment? It will be flagged for our moderators to take action.
Thank you for taking the time to improve the content on our site.
- DIY Faux Pottery Planters
- Charming Recycled Songbird Tin Can Wind Chime
- Herb Planter Tin Can Crafts
- Mini Succulent Planters
- Vintage Tins and Succulents DIY Planters
- Floating Teapot Succulent Planter
- Fabulous Upcycled Faux Chinese Vases
- Dishwasher Pod Container Recycled Planter
- Gorgeous Simple 10 Minute Moroccan Tile Planters
- Diy Herb Pot
Our Newest Projects & Articles
- The Scarlett Bag
- In A Pinch Crochet Beanie
- Crochet Kangaroo Amigurumi
- Granny Square Baby Blanket
- Faux Leather Heart Bag
- Framed Dried Flowers
- Diy Paper Flower Backdrop
- Multistrand Knit Necklace
- Beginner Baby Hat Pattern With Sizes For The Whole Family
- Padded Laptop Bag
- 11 Crochet Shawl Patterns: Crochet Poncho Patterns, Free Easy Crochet Patterns and More
- 12 Knitted Scarf Patterns: Fabulous Free Knitting Patterns for Beginners
- 14 Free Crochet Patterns for Babies and Toddlers
- 16 Free Crochet Hat Patterns, Scarves, and Gloves
- 22 Free Crochet Patterns: Afghan Patterns, Crochet Hats, and More
- 24 Quick and Easy Knitting Patterns
- 7 Adult Coloring Pages
- 8 Free Apron Sewing Patterns
- Easy Lace Knitting Patterns
- Quick & Easy Decoupage: 12 Fabulous Mod Podge Projects for Your Home