Southern Cross Afghan
Add stunning designs and holiday hues to your Christmas home when you learn to crochet an afghan pattern as stunning as this one. The Southern Cross Afghan Pattern makes a fabulous Christmas crochet pattern. Designed by the always-talented design team over at Red Heart Yarns, this crochet afghan pattern includes multiple color combos and variations for this afghan. So, if you are not feeling the Christmas spirit or it is just the wrong time of the year, you can easily convert this crochet cutie to a project of your liking.
This crochet pattern has a vintage look to it, making it a fabulous way to get that way back when look for your holiday home décor. Combine this afghan with other traditional and vintage Christmas crafts to really bulk up your nostalgia this season.
Afghan measures 50" x 50".
If this crochet afghan pattern is not your style, never fear! We have even more free crochet patterns that are sure to match your look. Check out 51 Free Crochet Blanket Patterns for Beginners for even more crochet afghans, throws, and more.
- TLC® “Essentials®”: 3 skeins each 2316 Winter White A 2919 Barn Red B, 2675 Dark Thyme C
- Crochet Hook: 5mm [US H-8].
- Yarn needle.
- Motif = 3 ¾ ".
- CHECK YOUR GAUGE. Use any size hook to obtain the gauge.
With A ch 5, slip st to first ch to join.
- Round 1: Ch 1, 8 sc in ring, slip st to first sc to join.
- Round 2: Ch 3, work 2 dc in same space, ch 5, skip next sc, [3 dc in next sc, ch 5, skip next sc] 3 times, slip st to top of ch-3.
- Fasten off.
- Round 3: Join B in same st as joining. Ch 1, sc in same st, sc in next 2 dc, *working over ch-5 to enclose it, work (2 tr, ch 2, 2 tr) in skipped sc of Round 1, sc in next 3 dc; repeat from * around, end (2 tr, ch 2, 2 tr) in skipped sc of Round 1, slip st in first sc to join.
- Fasten off.
- Round 4: Join C in any ch-2 space, ch 3, (dc, ch 3, 2 dc) in same space, *dc in next 7 sts, (2 dc, ch 3, 2 dc) in next ch-2 space; repeat from * around, end dc in next 7 sts, slip st to top of ch-3.
- Fasten off.
- Work as for Motif 1, working Rounds 1-2 with B, Round 3 with C and Round 4 with A.
- Work as for Motif 1, working Rounds 1-2 with C, Round 3 with A and Round 4 with B.
- Following Assembly Diagram, sew Motifs together.
With C, join yarn and work sc evenly spaced around.
- Weave in ends.
Alternate color combinations:
1. 2313 Aran A, 2332 Linen B, 2335 Taupe C
2. 2313 Aran A, 2672 Lt Thyme B, 2673 Med thyme C
3. 2316 Winter White A, 2220 Butter B, 2883 Country Blue C
TWO COLOR VARIATIONS
(Make 89 motifs starting with A, 88 motifs starting with B)
1. 2010 White A2968 Shaded Denim B
2. 2212 Black A , 2010 White B
Brand new to crochet and need some help? Don't be overwhelmed by more complicated crochet patterns like this one. Head on over to 50+ Free, Easy Crochet Patterns for Beginners + Help for Beginners for some how to gret started tips.