Be My Sunshine Afghan
This sweet and sunny crochet afghan pattern is made using a feather stitch, which consists of a simple 4 row pattern. Great for beginners, the Be My Sunshine Afghan is unique in that you can change the look of the pattern by simply turning it upside down!
- 6 skeins Red Heart Classic Yarn in Maize
- 5.0mm (US H-8), 5.5mm (US I-9) crochet hook, or size needed for gauge
Gauge (with H hook):
- rows 2-5 = 2 1/2"
- cluster shell (cluster shell, ch 1, cluster shell, ch 1, cluster shell) = 4 1/2"
- V stitch (V st) – (dc, ch 1, dc) in indicated stitch or space.
- Cluster (cl) – [yo, insert hook in indicated stitch or space, yo, draw up a loop, yo, draw through 2 loops on hook] twice, yo, draw through all 3 loops on hook.
- Cluster Shell (cl shell) – [cluster, ch 1] twice, cluster in stitch indicated.
- Small Shell (sm shell) – (slip stitch, ch 3, dc) in stitch or space indicated.
Afghan Measures: 40” x 48”
Row 1: With H hook ch 152, sc in 2nd ch from hook, [ch 2, skip next 2 chs, V st in next ch, ch 2, skip next 2 chs, sc in next ch] across, turn.
Row 2 (RS): Ch 4, *cl shell in next V st**, ch 1, repeat from * across ending last repeat at **, tr in last sc, turn.
Row 3: Ch 1, sc in first tr, [ch 1, sc in next ch 1 space] across ending with ch 1, sc in 4th ch of ch 4, turn.
Row 4: Ch 3, dc in next space, [ch 1, dc in next space] across, ending with dc in last sc, turn.
Row 5: Ch 1, sc in first dc, *ch 2, skip next dc, V st in next dc, ch 2, skip next dc**, sc in next space, repeat from * across ending last repeat at **, sc in 3rd ch of ch 3, turn.
- Color Scheme: Repeat Rows 2-5 for a total of 81 rows ending with Row 5 and turn.
With I hook working along top edge sm shell in each V st and sc across.
Working along side edge sm shell in each dc across.
Working along bottom edge sm shell in each ch 2 space across.
- Working along side edge sm shell in each dc across, join to beginning slip stitch and fasten off.
Read NextRed Crochet Afghan