American Spirit Stars and Stripes Throw
We are adding the craft to your Craft Projects.
The project was added to your Craft Projects.
Worked in two shades of blues and the softest white, the American Spirit Stars and Stripes Throw from Red Heart Yarn makes a bold statement. Whether you crochet it in team colors or to show your patriotism, a crocheted throw this striking is sure to please.
Throw measures 50” wide x 68” long.
- Red Heart® “Super Saver®” (Art. E300) solid color 7 oz (198 g), 364 yd (333 m); multicolor, heather and print 5 oz (141 g), 244 yd (223 m); flecks 5 oz (141g), 260 yds (238 m) skeins: 4 skeins 316 Soft White A, 2 skeins 382 Country Blue B, and 4 skeins 387 Soft Navy C
- Crochet hooks: 5mm [US H-8] and 6mm [US J10]
- Yarn needle
GAUGES: 13 sts = 4”; 17 rows = 4” in sc with smaller hook; 13 sts = 4”; 14 rows = 6” in pattern with larger hook. CHECK YOUR GAUGE. Use any size hook to obtain the gauges.
With larger hook and A, ch 219.
Foundation Row (Wrong Side): Sc in 2nd ch from hook and in each ch across; turn – 218 sc.
Row 1 (Right Side): Ch 1, sc in first sc, 3 dc in next sc, skip next 2 sc, * sc in next sc, 3 dc in next sc, skip next 2 sc; repeat from * to last 2 sc; sc in next sc, dc in last sc; turn.
Row 2: Ch 1, sc in first dc, * 3 dc in next sc, skip next 2 dc, sc in next dc; repeat from * to last sc; dc in last sc; turn.
Rows 3 and 4: Repeat Row 2, changing to B and smaller hook in last st of Row 4. Drop A.
Row 5: With B and smaller hook, ch 1, sc in each st across. Fasten off B.
Row 6: With right side facing, insert larger hook in first sc of last row and draw A through; repeat Row 1 across.
Rows 7-11: Repeat Rows 2-6.
Rows 12-14: Repeat Rows 2-4 EXCEPT change to C and smaller hook in last st of Row 14. Cut A.
Row 15: With C and smaller hook, ch 1, sc in each st across; turn.
Rows 16-46: Repeat Row 15 EXCEPT change to A in last st of Row 46.
Repeat Rows 1-46 for pattern twice more, then repeat Rows 1-14 once more EXCEPT change to B and smaller hook in last st of Row 14.
Round 1 (Right Side): Ch 1, 3 sc in first sc, sc evenly around, working 3 sc in each corner; join with a slip st to first sc.
Round 2: Ch 4, ** (dc, [ch 1, dc] twice) all in corner sc, ch 1, skip next sc, * dc in next sc, ch 1, skip next sc; repeat from * to next corner; repeat from ** around, adjusting as necessary at corners and end of round; join to 3rd ch of ch-4;
Round 3: Change to larger hook; ch 1, * sc in next space, 3 dc in next dc, skip next space; repeat from * around, adjusting if necessary at end of round; join to first sc.
Fasten off. Weave in ends.
Star (Make 27)
With larger hook and B, ch 5; join with a slip st to form a ring.
Round 1: Ch 2, holding back last loop on hook, 2 dc in ring, yo and draw through all 3 loops on hook – beginning cluster made; [ch 4; holding back last loop on hook, 3 dc in ring, yo and draw through all 4 loops on hook – cluster made] 4 times, ch 4; join with a slip st to top of beginning cluster – 5 cluster.
Round 2: Ch 1, * sc in cl, ch 7, sc in 4th ch from hook, hdc in next ch, dc in next ch, tr in last ch; repeat from * around; join to first sc.
Round 3: * Working in remaining loops of ch, sc in next 4 loops, 2 sc in ch-3 space, ch 1, slip st in top and side loops of last sc made, 2 sc in same space, sc in next 4 sts **, slip st in next sc; repeat from * around, end at **; join.
Fasten off, leaving a long end for sewing.
Arrange 9 stars evenly spaced down each of the three single crochet sections and sew in place.
Your Recently Viewed Projects
Images from other crafters
Free projects, giveaways, exclusive partner offers, and more straight to your inbox!
Report Inappropriate Comment
Are you sure you would like to report this comment? It will be flagged for our moderators to take action.
Thank you for taking the time to improve the content on our site.
Christmas Morning Crochet Afghan Pattern
Fun and Fancy Double Crochet Afghan
Arrow Stitch Crochet Afghan
Isobel's Afghan Pattern
Bavarian Rainbow Afghan
Under 6 Hours Crochet Throw Pattern
Lavender Lace Throw
Ripple Afghan Crochet Pattern
Red Crochet Afghan
Stars in Your Eyes Free Crochet Afghan Pattern
Our Newest Projects & Articles
- Lovely Ridges Pillow
- Metallic Wallpapered Accent Wall
- 4 Easy Small Wood Projects You Didn't Know You Could Make
- 14 Christmas Crafts for Adults, by 365 Days of Crafts
- Fireside Slippers
- 24 Free Shawl Knitting Patterns
- Shiny + Soft Main Street Yarns
- Beginner Hat Knitting Pattern
- 15 Easy Crochet Baby Booties for Beginners
- 31 Summer Wreaths to Make
- 11 Crochet Shawl Patterns: Crochet Poncho Patterns, Free Easy Crochet Patterns and More
- 12 Knitted Scarf Patterns: Fabulous Free Knitting Patterns for Beginners
- 14 Free Crochet Patterns for Babies and Toddlers
- 16 Free Crochet Hat Patterns, Scarves, and Gloves
- 22 Free Crochet Patterns: Afghan Patterns, Crochet Hats, and More
- 24 Quick and Easy Knitting Patterns
- 7 Adult Coloring Pages
- 8 Free Apron Sewing Patterns
- Easy Lace Knitting Patterns
- Quick & Easy Decoupage: 12 Fabulous Mod Podge Projects for Your Home