Girls Tank Dress
If you're not sure what to do with old T-shirts, try turning them into cute dresses, perfect for the summer! This Girls Tank Dress tutorial from Victoria Lavertu will show you everything about how to sew a dress and ways to create dress patterns for sewing. This dress is surprisingly simple to make, and a great way to recycle clothes.
- An existing tank top (works well with a too small tank top that is too short but still fits fine on top)
- Fabric for the skirt portion
- Sewing machine
- Coordinating thread
- Scissors and/or rotary cutter and mat
- Measuring tape
- Measure how long you want the tank top portion of the dress to be. It should hit around where the waist is. Mark this on both ends of shirt.
- Cut a straight line across the shirt at your markings with scissors or a rotary cutter.
- Lay your fabric piece along the bottom of your top piece and measure how wide your fabric will need to be. Be sure to add extra for seam allowance.
- Cut your fabric, then zigzag or serge all sides to prevent fraying.
- Fold the bottom part of the skirt part for a hem and iron.
- Sew your hem, then press with an iron.
- Meet up your two short ends of the fabric piece and sew together for your side seam.
- Press your seam with an iron.Your bottom portion is done, now you can attach the two pieces. Tuck the top into the skirt piece.
- Start pinning together. It's easiest if you line up the hems of the skirt and top parts first.
- Keep pinning around. There will be excess of skirt compared to the top, remember, to add some volume to the skirt.
- Sew your pieces together.
- Iron the seam upwards.