A Magnetic Gift Set
The inlay technique is a perfect way to use your Friendly Plastic scraps left over from other projects. And what a perfect gift, but a set of magnets in a heart shaped tin from AMACO. You can use these to hang this on the fridge or maybe even a locker. Find this project with 32 other great gifts ideas in the Homemade Christmas Gift Guide.
- Friendly Plastic 7” stick: mother of pearl/white
- Friendly plastic scraps (pieces left over from other projects)
- Craft knife
- Needle tool
- Heart shaped cutter and 3/4” circle cutter: or cutter shape of your choice
- Small dish of cold water with a few drops of olive oil
- Griddle set at 200-300 degrees
- Non-stick baking sheet that fits flat on griddle surface
- Sealer: I used Envirotex Lite, but any high gloss acrylic sealer will work.
- Disposable mixing container and stir stick
- Non-stick cookie sheet
- Brass flower
- Brass teardrop shaped book mark
- Pink rhinestone
- Heart shaped tin: check the bridle section of your local craft store.
- Magnets: 3/4” round
- E6ooo glue
- Pre-heat the griddle. Place the baking sheet onto the griddle. Place the white plastic stick onto the baking sheet and allow it to soften.
- Gather together some of your favorite Friendly Plastic scraps. Position and begin to place the scrap down the center of the white plastic. Allow the scraps to soften and inlay into the white plastic. The longer they are left on the heat, the deeper the inlay.
- Remove the pan from the griddle. While the plastic is still warm, cut six circles and one Heart by pressing the cutter into the softened plastic. Dip the cutter back into the cold water after each cut. This will help keep it from sticking to the plastic. Allow the plastic to cool. Use the needle tool to press under the edges of the cooled plastic and remove it from the pan. Pop out the cut shapes. If needed use the craft knife to cut around each one.
- Apply the envirotex sealer following the manufactures instructions.
Note: I like to place my pieces on a non-stick cookie sheet. This way if there is any run off, it will be easy to remove later. Once I have the envirotex mixed, I like to pour it into a small squeeze bottle. The application will be more precise and much easier. Blow softly, through the straw to pop any bubbles that remain. Allow the resin to dry at least 12 hours. If there has been any run off. Remove the piece from the pan by pressing the needle tool under it and lifting. You can cut the excess off with a scissor. Envirotex cures completely in 24 hours.
5. Glue the heart onto the center of the lid. Glue the rhinestone into the center of the brass flower. Position and adhere the flower onto the heart. Allow the glue to dry.
6. Glue a plastic circle onto each of the magnets. Allow the glue to dry. Place the magnets into the tin.
Tags / Related Topics
Your Recently Viewed Projects
More from "Miscellaneous Crafts"
Find the most unique and unexpected ideas here with tons of great unusual craft projects, helpful tips, and useful ideas. Includes creative and different craft projects for kids and adults as well as excellent ideas like lower Drying tips and Flower
There are no records