Look of Mosaic Technique with Eggshells
Want to try something new and expand your creativity. Jewelry craft ideas don't get more unique than the look of mosaic technique with eggshells from Heidi Brochers. Use actual shells to create pendants and pieces that will surely stand out.
- Wood - square- 1-1/4” x 1-1/4”x 1/8”
- Acrylic paint – for base coating wood
- Aleene’s Tacky Double-Stick Sheets (available at Michaels Stores)
- Craft stick
- Alcohol inks
- Paper towel
- Aleene’s Tacky Clear Gel Glue (available at Michaels Stores)
- Jewelry findings- jewelry bail, pre-made ribbon jewelry necklace
- Aleene’s 7800 Platinum Bond Glue – to attach jewelry bail to wood piece
- Before beginning: soak eggshells in a mixture of 1 cup of water mixed with 1 teaspoon bleach overnight. In the morning, drain and rinse and pull off any remaining membrane. Dry shells on paper towel before applying to wood piece.
- Using the brush, basecoat the wood square with acrylic paint. Paint one side, let dry, paint back side. Let dry.
- Cut a piece of the Aleene’s Tacky Double Stick Sheet to fit the wood square.
- Peel off the top liner paper. Place adhesive side down onto the pre-painted wood piece. (Keep the liner paper for later step.)
- Peel off the bottom liner paper, being careful not to put fingers into the adhesive area.
- Place clean egg shells onto the adhesive and press firmly to hold in place.
- Continue to place shells as close as possible. Don’t worry if there are gaps or if the shells go over the edges.
- Place the top liner paper back over the shells and carefully rub with the craft stick. Carefully break off any of the eggshell pieces that go over the edge.
- Drop one to two drops of the first color of alcohol ink. Let it spread into the cracks. You do not need to wait until dry for next step.
- Repeat with the second color of alcohol ink.
- Repeat with the third color of alcohol ink.
- Carefully dab off any excess ink with a paper towel. Reapply any of the inks if more color is desired. Let inks dry completely.
- For a sealer, apply the Aleene’s Tacky Clear Gel glue onto the top of the finished piece. Let dry completely.
- Glue a jewelry bail to the back of the wood piece using the Aleene’s 7800 Platinum Bond Glue. Let dry. Place onto a ready-made necklace.
For a comprehensive video tutorial, check out How to Create the Look of Mosaic with Eggshells.
Tags / Related Topics
Your Recently Viewed Projects
Feb 28, 2012
i watch the video on making the mosaic bracelet but how did she attached the beads and hook to close bracelet did not show that would you please tell me how
Report Inappropriate Comment
Are you sure you would like to report this comment? It will be flagged for our moderators to take action.
Thank you for taking the time to improve the content on our site.
Join our community of 5 million crafters!
- Get free craft projects, exclusive partner offers, and more.
- Information Use