11 Crochet Shawl Patterns: Crochet Poncho Patterns, Free Easy Crochet Patterns and More
Clever Accessory Organizer
We are adding the craft to your Craft Projects.
The project was added to your Craft Projects.
This Clever Accessory Organizer has it all: a screen for earrings, belt loops for scarves, buttons for necklaces, pockets for bracelets, zippers for sunglasses - you name it! Basically, this is the perfect DIY jewelry organizer for the crafter and recycling fanatic. Put your old jeans to good use with this great DIY jewelry holder. You'll have just as much fun decorating it as you will using it. Bring out your creativity and crafting supplies and let your inner fashionista/organizer run wild.
- Assorted old jeans
- Assorted fabrics for piecing and the back
- Nice wood hanger
- Piece of batting for top part of hanger
- Piece of soft screen
- OPTIONAL EMBELLISHING…acrylic paints, wool yarn and needle felting supplies, bedazzler and studs
- Deconstruct jeans… Cut waistband with belt loops. Remove pockets and cut backs out. Cut off legs as high up as you can without cutting pockets.
- To make pattern for hanger, place a sturdy wooden hanger on paper and trace. (News paper works)
- Measure 1 1/2″ around outer edge of hanger and mark for cutting line.
- Draw a line along the bottom edge and mark 2 inches down and draw your cutting line.
- You will need three layers from pattern piece- jean, backing, and padding for middle layer (This is a recycled old mattress pad. You can use quilt batting.)
- Cut batting one inch shorter along the bottom straight edge.
- Layer padding, backing right side up, and jean layer right side down as shown above.
- Sew with 1/2″ seam allowance leaving 1/2″ open at top notch for hanger. Sew until 1 1/2″ from bottom edge.
- Trim batting and clip curves to turn smoothly.
- Cut a piece of soft screen the width of bottom edge of hanger cover by 6 inches long.
- Cut 2 pieces of trim 1 1/4″ by width of screen.
- Fold trim in 1/2 length wise, press, place on top and bottom of screen, and sew with 1/4″ seam allowance.
- Trim ends, even raw edges of material an raw edge of screen.
- Cut 2 pieces of trim 1 1/2″ * 6″.
- Fold in half length wise and then fold sides into middle, and iron.
- Place ends of screen in middle of fold so material will encase the ends.
- Sew along edge. Trim top and bottom.
- Now your screen will have a frame of material around it.
- Felting - Place your denim piece on the foam felting block and then be sure to use HEAVY felting needles with your wool yarn or fibers.
- Painting - Use a little foam circle stamp dipped in dark purple craft paint to add polka dots. Then go over with one side with lavender paint to give it some dimension.
Finishing the Caddy
- Piece strips of jean and cotton fabrics to make a rectangle approximately 28″ * 21″ depending on hanger size. Make sure it is 1″ wider than bottom of hanger cover for seam allowance.
- Sew down belt loop strip along left side 1″ in. Make sure to use size 16 sewing machine needle (to prevent breakage). You can sew it down by hand with a blanket stitch. When sewing along right edge of belt loop strip do not sew belt loop down. Instead tack end of loop after sewing along right side between loops.
- Decide placement of pockets and buttons and sew.
- Iron under bottom edge of the front of hanger cover 1″ and sew to long edge of screen that has been framed with fabric. Leave 1/4″ of fabric showing.
- Fold 1″ and press along bottom edge of back of hanger cover and stitch. Stitch a 10″ length of ribbon 4″ in from sides of hanger cover on inside so tail end hangs down. (These will be used to tie back closed after hanger is added.)
- Cut lining to match front of pocket section.
- With right sides together pin along sides and bottom and sew with 1/2″ seams.
- Fold top down 1/2″ and press.
- Tuck screen between top layers and stitch.
Free projects, giveaways, exclusive partner offers, and more straight to your inbox!
Your Recently Viewed Projects
Images from other crafters
Report Inappropriate Comment
Are you sure you would like to report this comment? It will be flagged for our moderators to take action.
Thank you for taking the time to improve the content on our site.
Project of the Day
Easy DIY Christmas crafts, like this Crafty Coca Cola Advent Calendar from I Love to Create, are great holiday projects! Made from an… Continue reading: "Crafty Coca Cola Advent Calendar"
- Framed Earring Organizer
- DIY Wooden Crate Shelves
- Turn Old Books into a Knife Block
- Dollar Store Spice Rack
- Upcycled Decorated Porcelain Canisters for Craft Storage
- Free Printable To Do List
- Dollar Store Cookie Sheet Magnet Board
- Recycled DIY Storage Container
- Space-Saving DIY Shoe Rack
- DIY Mason Jar Organizer
Our Newest Projects & Articles
- Hashtag Slouchy
- Dragon Wing Cowl
- A Quick Guide To Snap Fasteners For Clothing Or Bags
- Robot Valentine Tags And Bag Toppers
- Easy Valentine’s Day Fox Craft For Kids
- Valentine's Day Coloring Cards
- Conversation Marble Magnets
- Crochet Loafers
- Crochet House Slippers (one Hour Project)
- Giraffe And Friends Easy Baby Quilt From A Jelly Roll
- 11 Crochet Shawl Patterns: Crochet Poncho Patterns, Free Easy Crochet Patterns and More
- 12 Knitted Scarf Patterns: Fabulous Free Knitting Patterns for Beginners
- 14 Free Crochet Patterns for Babies and Toddlers
- 16 Free Crochet Hat Patterns, Scarves, and Gloves
- 22 Free Crochet Patterns: Afghan Patterns, Crochet Hats, and More
- 24 Quick and Easy Knitting Patterns
- 7 Adult Coloring Pages
- 8 Free Apron Sewing Patterns
- Easy Lace Knitting Patterns
- Quick & Easy Decoupage: 12 Fabulous Mod Podge Projects for Your Home